Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

You need a state to manage property rights.

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
31 Posts
Points 2,095
kylio27 posted on Mon, Sep 3 2012 3:58 PM | Locked

What if I just claim a large area of land as mine? I could just as easily claim the moon is mine. How do you manage property rights without force and/or coercion? 

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515
Answered (Not Verified) Aristophanes replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 4:01 PM | Locked
Suggested by Malachi

http://library.mises.org/books/Murray%20N%20Rothbard/For%20a%20New%20Liberty%20The%20Libertarian%20Manifesto.pdf

http://library.mises.org/books/Murray%20N%20Rothbard/The%20Ethics%20of%20Liberty.pdf

Fucking trollz.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
31 Posts
Points 2,095
kylio27 replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 4:03 PM | Locked

Rothbard is not a god. Stop idolizing him. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
2,679 Posts
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 4:05 PM | Locked

kylio27:

How do you manage property rights without force and/or coercion? 

You don't. I don't know many libertarians that advocate complete non-violence. Violence and the threat thereof are necessary aspects of law.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
31 Posts
Points 2,095
kylio27 replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 4:12 PM | Locked

Seems like that philosophy lacks consistency, then. 

Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515
Aristophanes replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 4:12 PM | Locked

I don't know many libertarians that advocate complete non-violence. Violence and the threat thereof are necessary aspects of law.

This I agree with.  But, there is also defensive and aggressive violence to differentiate.  It's all over this forum (the OP is a troll) or I would go into it here.

Hey, kylio27, if you weren't so obviously a troll, people wouldn't respond in kind.

http://tnc-online.net/page/2010NO2/index.php

Polycentric law/property recognition could in theory be completely non-violent and voluntary (The author won a nobel prize recently).  It's not my responsibility to find you a copy of it that is accessible, but if you actually care, then you'll read a few of her papers.  She is not in favor of the State or the Market.

Who said Rothbard was a God?  He simply provides an explanation of the question you asked.

And judging by your immediate mark of death with the "philosophy/consistency" comment, you looking for structural weaknesses in the libertarian philosophy?  Asking on a forum, and then citing the forum later on, is a pretty strenuous way to discredit something.  These forum users are anon and all have various opinions.  Rothbard would make sense if you are writing for academics...

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 50 Contributor
2,679 Posts
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 4:13 PM | Locked

Which philosophy?

Top 50 Contributor
2,679 Posts
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 4:20 PM | Locked

Aristophanes:

This I agree with.  But, there is also defensive and aggressive violence to differentiate.

Absolutely there is a difference. I didn't make a distinction because law can be based on both aggressive and defensive violence.

Nice pic, btw.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS