Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Re: Our Liberia Pursuit

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
239 Posts
Points 5,820
The Texas Trigger posted on Mon, Sep 10 2012 10:04 PM

Just started watching this documentary and I haven't gotten very far, but I just had to post this now. These documentary film makers have some serious fucking balls!

First 5 minutes has a pretty good summary of how we first colonized Liberia (a la The American Re-Colonization Society) which DiLorenzo talks about a great deal in The Real Lincoln which I suggest you all read, if you haven't already.

all-in-all, so far it has done a good job of showing, albeit unintentionally, I'd imagine, the consequences of foreign intervention and state bigotry.

"If men are not angels, then who shall run the state?" 

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

I actually just started The Real Lincoln a few days ago.  [PDF] for anyone who hasn't read it.  It's definitely engaging so far.  Not to mention I recall the OP mentioning how it was part of what first brought him to the Austrian School...  ;)

Top 500 Contributor
Male
239 Posts
Points 5,820

John James:
It's definitely engaging so far.  Not to mention I recall the OP mentioning how it was part of what first brought him to the Austrian School...  ;)

Yes, that is true, and I am forever grateful to DiLorenzo for that, although, sometimes I resent him for it as well (as it caused my already high levels of political anxiety to levels I never thought possible ;-).

Anyway, I got a little further into the documentary and already the first guy interviewed is bitching that the UN and the US haven't done anything to help rebuild Liberia...Well man, the US basically already fucked your country up in the first place...its just so classic. No matter where you live, no matter how shitty things get, its pretty universal that people expect the state to save them. Just incredible. 

I will say, so far the film makers haven't said much to the effect of "the US should be here helping." But I am just waiting for something like that to come out. Still, great doc so far, if for no other reason than to see whats going on there.

JJ, have you gotten to the part where DiLorenzo talks about the American Re-Colonization Society yet?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
239 Posts
Points 5,820

at around min: 17, a 12 year old looking kid smokes heroin and cocaine and talks about raping "a big bellied woman" and robbing her. Liberia's child labor laws appear to be working well

Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515

Laws are the least of the problems that they have.

Imagine ways in which they can be helped...

Butt naked is about as close to "effective help" that can be done.  Change what is in their minds...

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
79 Posts
Points 1,490
Walden replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 1:15 AM

Are there any examples of functional African countries?

The 'colonization theory' strikes me as leftist bunk. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can correct me on this.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS