Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Ron Paul Ranked Among the Most Corrupt in DC.

This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 126
Points 3,080
Luminar Posted: Thu, Sep 13 2012 6:20 PM

What is your response to this?: [http://www.crewsmostcorrupt.org/mostcorrupt/entry/ron-paul-report]

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 6:31 PM
52 flights that ron paul was allegedly reimbursed for twice. Thats all they have. Meanwhile people like harry reid and nancy pelosi are worth hundreds of millions of dollars, but they had basically nothing when they first took office.

furthermore, the allegations arent very credible, because they rely on his being reimbursed by private funds and then reimbursed with taxpayer money. Apparently (from the link) if he took public money and then private money, theres nothing to fuss over.

I will add that if he did double-bill in the way the article says he did, then I dont approve of his actions, or the actions of the staff members responsible.

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Points 4,000

There's this already:

http://optimiskeptic.com/2012/09/12/u-s-news-world-report-crew-blow-it-big-time/

But then they even admit in their... article that they have a hard time tracing any of the expenses and admit it's impossible to find precise information. Or translated, they just like making stuff up.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 7:00 PM
So let us retrace the events here:

2006-2008: Jonathan Strong is employed by Congressman Dan Lungren and receives attention for also reporting favorably on Lungren at the Daily Caller.

2007: Dan Lungren is identified by Congressman Ron Paul supporters as a major political rival to Paul’s political positions.

March 2011: Dan Lungren expresses support over Newt Gingrich’s run for President, later officially endorsing him.

April 2011: Ron Paul returns over $140,000 in unused funds from his congressional office to the U.S. Treasury, a something he has repeatedly done during his time as a Congressman.

December, 2012: Gingrich identifies Paul as “worse than Obama” declaring he (Gingrich) would never vote for him (Paul) if he received the GOP nomination.

January 3, 2012: Gingrich loses the Iowa Caucuses, placing a distant fourth behind Paul’s third and specifically targets Paul for criticism in his concession speech.

January 17, 2012: An AP article comes out accusing Ron Paul of lavish spending on First Class flights on taxpayer’s dime, but is subsequently debunked by Lawrence O’Donnell and various other sources.

February 6, 2012: Jonathan Strong publishes an article on Roll Call implicating Ron Paul in another travel related scandal, this time for receiving double reimbursements from non-profits and the government to the tune of $15,000 over a 10 year period based on stolen evidence that does not actually imply intentional fraud or Paul’s knowledge/involvement. Strong published two follow-up articles with no new evidence presented.

September 2012: Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) gives Paul “dishonorable mention” in their “Most Corrupt Members of Congress” report based solely on the three Strong articles published earlier that year.

September 12, 2012: Elizabeth Flock of U.S. News & World Report publishes on the Washington Whispers blog, “Ron Paul One Of The Most Corrupt Members of Congress, Report Finds”

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 126
Points 3,080
Luminar replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 7:10 PM

Ron Paul is like the last person I would ever accuse of being corrupt. Just wanted to hear some opinions.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I think it's just a bunch of crap geared towards turning off people who have decided to research the guy in response to an interest in his message.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 7:41 PM

+1 Skeptical

"Ha! He's corrupt, I knew it!"

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

my opinion is that there are millions of laws and its impossible not to be breaking one.  When it comes to political funding its impossible to not be breaking at least 2 at all times. 

I think the article is all hogwash.  This is a man who is turning down full-retirement pay.  What do congressmen get paid? like 160k a year.  He is committing fraud for mere fractions of a pay check.

Lastly, i am one of the foremost experts on the planet in government travel. 

There is a travel claim with his signature on it.  Where the comptrollers (*when it comes to congress this is the Comptroller of the United States) are required by law to keep the claim on file for 7 years. New law of last year i think doubled it. Which means they should still HAVE the claim.  The travel voucher should be produced with his signature.  Not to mention the military started keeping travel claims online since around 2003 and never get rid of them.  i refuse to believe congress isnt on the same system. 

Also double payments happen ALL the time because they have idiot kids working the claim and retarded management pushing the claims through without looking at what the kids are doing.  Ive seen 30k over payments on travel vouchers for claims only worth a few hundred bucks.  I can literally prove 90% incorrect payments on all travel claims.

A double payment on airline tickets is standard operating procedure.  This is what happens most the time:

The computer system they use require a manual imput of airfare tickets.  Well the government isnt going to pay just anything, they limit it to the GTR (meaning what the government would of spent on the ticket).  So a clerk will go through and put the price of the GTR and then put the price of the ticket.  What is paid is the GTR and the ticket limited to the GTR.  Boom double payment.  Then an auditor has to go in and specifically look in misc payments to see the double payment.  When what they really do is just look at the tab with the breakdown on it.  They see $461 and think 'well that looks like what a ticket would cost.'  then they put it on business.

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

@clayton

Haha.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

-> Ron Paul

*talks about freedom and liberty. gives back money to treasury*

ZOMG HIS FEW FLIGHTS TO X PLACES COST TAXPAYEEEERERRS HUR DURRRRR SO CORRUPPTTTTT ZOMGZOMGZOMG.

-> Obama

*starts 1 more war, prolongs another, while making millions

*wins nobel peace prize*

HE WILL PAY MY MORTGAGE HE IS OUR SAVIOR BLAH BLAH BLAH HURRDURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

---

Cmon mainstream fags, you can do better than that.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Malachi pretty much got it all.  Here's the thread from the plane ticket thing...

Lyin Larry O'Donnell's report is actually good and honest.  I guess because he was happy he at least got to attack someone.

Ron Paul's plane tickets

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS