Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

'Private Cities' in Honduras

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 233
Points 4,440
Cortes Posted: Fri, Sep 14 2012 1:36 AM

http://www.volokh.com/2012/09/08/privately-run-cities-in-honduras-prepare-to-launch/

Surprised that this hasn't been discussed here yet afaik

I'm getting a kick out of the comments thread:

I didn't have time to click the link; I was too busy playing Bioshock...

lol get it?

•  
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 1:46 AM

Very cool idea indeed.

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 233
Points 4,440
Cortes replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 1:57 AM

I'm not so sure about that. The gist I get is that this is hardly a desirable setup nor any closer to some libertarian ideal.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 2:48 AM

Why so? A semi-private lawgiver may be expected to provide law that is at  least marginally better that that provided by a government. Surely, an experiment to be applauded (if they manage not mess things up in the actual contract). 

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 9:25 AM

I've heard that natives are being displaced for this to happen...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 113
Points 1,685
RagnarD replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 3:55 PM

From:http://www.infowars.com/honduras-sets-stage-for-3-privately-run-cities/

Michael Strong, an executive with the MKG Group that was granted this project, stated that the objective is to create a secure and prosperous community for Hondurans.

Michael Strong is an Author and Thought Leader. He is lead author of Be the Solution: How Entrepreneurs and Conscious Capitalists Can Solve All the World’s Problems, co-authored with John Mackey, Muhammad Yunus, 2006 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, Hernando de Soto, Co-Chair of the U.N. Commission on the Legal Empowerment of the Poor, and others. Michael’s work is featured in academic journals (The Journal of Business Ethics, Economic Affairs, Critical Review, etc.), specialty publications (Microfinance Insights, Policy Innovations, Carnegie Ethics, etc.) and in media reaching popular audiences (The New York Times, Bloomberg, The Huffington Post, RealClearPolitics, Barron’s, etc.). He serves on the board of Conscious Capitalism, Inc., The Free Cities Institute, The Seasteading Institute, and the Advisory Boards of The Lifeboat Foundation, Trilinc Global, The Moorfield Storey Institute, and is a mentor for developing world entrepreneurs for the MIT Legatum Center for Entrepreneurship and Development.

I have found that Michael Strong has a site: The Purpose of Education.

He is a libertarian. This is from his About page:

In order to create an educational system capable of improving the happiness and well-being of humanity, we need to reduce, and ultimately eliminate, government involvement in education at all levels, as well as government restrictions on the free pursuit of whatever occupation one desires. Government financing and regulation of education at all levels prevents the emergence of the more authentic, humane, and effective forms of education that we need. Thus around the world we need to move towards a principled separation of school and state, occupation and state, and research and state.

Sometimes, “libertarian,” means, libertarian, and other times, it means, corporate fascist. It’s a spectrum that seems to be determined by the scale of one’s endeavors.

Which is the case here?

I’m not sure yet. I have to go out and collect eggs, feed the chickens and help Becky get the kids fed, bathed and into bed. I’ll return to this later tonight.

In any event, this is clearly the most interesting story that isn’t getting much play in the regular media at the moment.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 113
Points 1,685
RagnarD replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 4:05 PM

Just found this listening now:  http://soundcloud.com/freetalklive/ftl-interviews-michael-strong

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 233
Points 4,440
Cortes replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 12:50 AM

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 165
Points 2,745

It's more likely to be successful than seasteading.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 8:28 AM

Will there be police?  If so, who will run the police (people with guns)?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 875
Points 14,180
xahrx replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 8:38 AM

My guess is there will be a no gun rule.  Which, if it's voluntary, I have no problem with, but I wouldn't want to live there myself.

"I was just in the bathroom getting ready to leave the house, if you must know, and a sudden wave of admiration for the cotton swab came over me." - Anonymous
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 10:33 AM

I find it amusing that the Free-Talk Live link below has the creator of this project saying that the biggest threat to the whole project is the Government of the USA.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 11:52 AM

But I do wonder who will lead the city and put away criminals. Wont that be some form if government?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 12:19 PM

I've mulled over an idea similar to this for a while now. The first step would be to obtain sovereign land. Preferably this would be done just by homesteading, but I doubt any state would readily go along with that (look what happened to the "Republic of Minerva"). So the state would have to be either bought off or fended off. Once sovereign land is obtained, it would be parceled out according to a pre-existing agreement among all parties involved. Thus there wouldn't be one single, ultimate owner of the entire area of sovereign land - each landowner would be sovereign. If a landowner wants to parcel his land out to others, that's up to him. If he wants to rent it out to others, that's again up to him.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 60
Points 825
s burgess replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 3:04 PM

from what ive found they have full sovern powers at least ive havt found any thing to the contary .library named after mises

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 113
Points 1,685
RagnarD replied on Mon, Oct 1 2012 9:42 PM

Some vids from the "Future of Free Cities" conference

https://freecity.ufm.edu/index.php/Videos_of_presentations

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 113
Points 1,685
RagnarD replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 11:19 PM

More from Strong on his vision of free cities.

http://explorersfoundation.org/archive/strongm-creating-libertopia.pdf

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 113
Points 1,685
RagnarD replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 11:25 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-19999536

Honduras court bans private cities project

The "model cities" project was backed by President Porfirio Lobo, who said it would attract foreign investment and create jobs

By 13 votes to one, Supreme Court judges decided that the proposal violated the principle of sovereignty.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 11:30 PM

Aaand back to seasteading. Thanks for the news update, been waiting for this decision to get handed down, and exactly what we all expected :\

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 452
Points 7,620

Is judicial review given in the Honduran constitution? Because it sure as hell isn't in ours.

http://thephoenixsaga.com/
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Tue, Oct 23 2012 10:23 AM

Just curious - how hard would it really be to forcefully carve out sovereign enclaves within a country like Honduras?

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Tue, Oct 23 2012 12:12 PM

Autolykos:

Just curious - how hard would it really be to forcefully carve out sovereign enclaves within a country like Honduras?

War? War-hard? Politically it would counter-productive as well. Then of course you'd be taking on the drug lords.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Tue, Oct 23 2012 1:05 PM

I'm telling you guys

Greenland

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Oct 23 2012 3:04 PM

Looks Patri Friedman has left the Seasteading Institute to get in on this.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Page 1 of 1 (24 items) | RSS