Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Congo Free State?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
80 Posts
Points 1,520
Williamloveseconomics posted on Sun, Sep 16 2012 12:09 PM

I have never heard of it stated as a anarcho capitalist example. I have found almost nothing addressing it either. If anyone has some links or can explain how it is or isn't a example i would appreciate it. Sorry if it has been brought up before...

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Male
197 Posts
Points 3,920

The Democratic Republic of Congo?

It's more of a war zone than anything

Not Ranked
Male
80 Posts
Points 1,520

Well someone used the "live in somalia anarcho capitialist" nonsense against me, but they also mentioned Congo Free State. I have never heard of this.

here is the wiki page on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congo_Free_State

looks as if a king was given control of the place and dictated it for profit. Im just looking for deeper work and theories other than myself.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,493 Posts
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 12:33 PM
Well since the wiki page says it was an absolute monarchy and the introduction strongly implies that land was repossessed from people who had already homesteaded it, and explicitly states the backing of government, I guess I would just like to see the actual argument.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Not Ranked
Male
80 Posts
Points 1,520

Yeah thats what i asked as well. He replied by saying, "Well, the Congo is pretty close to what Ron Paul would like for a "free market" economy." 

I don't need much to point out how this is wrong, but just was wondering why there is little work mentioning it here. i mean Somalia is the usual strawman i hear, but this was a first.

Top 500 Contributor
274 Posts
Points 5,675

The Congo Free State was basically considered the "private property" of King Leopold II of Belgium. He used his personal power and wealth to keep an army of mercenaries around enslaving the Congolese to harvest ivory and gold for him.

It wasn't Anarcho-Capitalist at all, not in the least because it was practically a country in of itself and was effectively an indirect colony of Belgium.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS