Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

We NEED public education, because education shouldn't be a business.

rated by 0 users
This post has 30 Replies | 10 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 2,095
kylio27 Posted: Mon, Sep 17 2012 12:27 PM

If we made all education private, then how will the very poor be able to afford it? How will they be educated? Sure, the current system isn't perfect, but it's a decent way of getting the most children educated. If it was private, the poor would get shitty education, or none at all. The disparity would be tremendous. It's just buying yourself the best education, and that's not right. It isn't considering the importance of educating the broad base of our youth.  

Provate education is all about money. It would just be a business, and that isn't what education should be about. 

• | Post Points: 155
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 12:34 PM

What's your definition of "education"? And what do you think it should be all about?

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

These posts remind me of the initial reaction that anyone on the street has to these issues.

If we made all education private, then how will the very poor be able to afford it?

By getting jobs and sacrificing other things in order to pay for it.

How will they be educated?

This is actually not my problem.

Sure, the current system isn't perfect, but it's a decent way of getting the most children educated.

I'm not sure I would call the current indoctrination system of means testing to the LCD "education."

If it was private, the poor would get shitty education, or none at all

You are "verifying" your own presumptions.  This is not provable anymore than: "If Hitler won WWII, we'd all speak German."  It is that pesky "if" that really makes it difficult to tell things about the past or future.

It's just buying yourself the best education, and that's not right.

Why isn't this okay?  You sound jealous.

It isn't considering the importance of educating the broad base of our youth.

Why is it my responsibility to pay for other people's things in life?

Provate education is all about money. It would just be a business, and that isn't what education should be about.

I think you meant "private."

And education would not be all about money.  It would be about providing the best service possible in order to obtain money.  You haters always seem to omit that part.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 12:40 PM
I'm on my mobile... can someone post the TEDx Glasgow video on this?
http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 172
Points 4,070
Papirius replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 12:53 PM

@kylio27

People here don't care about consequences, only about their set of principles. They're also for totally private health-care. If you're poor and can't afford- you'll die of some curable disease, tough luck, it's the capitalist way things go.

Suum cuique
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

They're also for totally private health-care. If you're poor and can't afford- you'll die of some curable disease, tough luck, it's the capitalist way things go.

That is not capitalism.  That is Darwinism.  No, not social darwinism (it is wrong headed to think they are different).

Simple fact is human society is just as bound in nature as wolves or parrots or monkeys.  Dogs have litters.  Litters have runts.  The runts die and this furthers the genes of those that can survive. 

The shame is that the system, in various ways, can make people poor or rich through illegtimiate mechanisms.

People here don't care about consequences, only about their set of principles.

As opposed to your set of principles?  Or do the consequences that stem from your principles eliminate your principles and their consequences as being in the categories of "principles" and "consequences."  They must be above judgement in that way...they are just self-evident positives...res ipsa loquitur...

The lady doth protest too much, methinks...

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 1:02 PM
Scarcity is a structural fact of our environment. The characteristics of the social order can exacerbate the ever-present problem of scarcity but no social order - capitalist, communist or otherwise - can abolish scarcity. The only question left is which social orders exacerbate scarcity and how this question can be answered. Clayton -
http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

@kylio27

"You call them public schools. We call them programming facilities." - The Nightly News (graphic novel)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Anyone still doubt someone is a troll?

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 1:36 PM

Which one? We've got two strong candidates in this thread.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Obviously, me.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Points 4,000

Serious. Bring back the Nike shoes, satellite tv and cheap airline tickets. At least the genuine spam had a point.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Aristophanes:

These posts remind me of the initial reaction that anyone on the street has to these issues.

Exactly. That is why I like them. They keep us on our toes.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 3:55 PM

If you actually care, the reading list is here:

http://candlemind.com/projects/progclub/file/michael/getEducated.php?listID=9

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 4:04 PM

If you don't care, then the list is not there.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 4:08 PM
Wheylous, isn't that James Tooley article on the Freeman awesome? Btw, the Tooley article you link to Forbes.com just links to the Forbes homepage.
Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 113
Points 1,685
RagnarD replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 4:17 PM

Thanks Maynard, was rippin my hair out

Not Ranked
Posts 48
Points 760
Maynard replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 4:21 PM

Ragnar, put the link in regular characters and it will embed. Easiest way is to copy into notepad (I think Word will keep the link intact) and then recopy and paste it. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Good stuff comes from competition in the market, not from a bloated monopoly mafia which we jokingly call government. 'Nuff said

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 470
Points 7,025
Vitor replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 4:23 PM

Private food production is all about money, how the hell the poor are not starving?

Private fashion industry is all about money, how the hell the poor are not naked?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

We NEED public food production, because food shouldn't be a business.

If we made all food production private, then how will the very poor be able to afford it? How will they be fed? Sure, the Soviet system isn't perfect, but it's a decent way of getting the most children fed. If it was private, the poor would get shitty food, or none at all. The disparity would be tremendous. It's just buying yourself the best food, and that's not right. It isn't considering the importance of feeding the broad base of our youth.  

Provate food is all about money. It would just be a business, and that isn't what food should be about.

The Soviets had it right.  But hey you don't have to take my word for it.  Just look at the results!  You "free market" morons are so stupid it's not even funny.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 421
Points 7,165

@JJ

YES! LOL!

The only one worth following is the one who leads... not the one who pulls; for it is not the direction that condemns the puller, it is the rope that he holds.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 5:14 PM

the government can take care of the poor by killing the poor. reduce the population to the those that fit set standards and that will be a solution to problems.

without government, learning would have reason behind it, people would be taught better and for cheaper.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

"It's a decent way of getting the most children educated"

Oh, okay. Public education, FTW!

Not Ranked
Posts 81
Points 1,135

If it was private, the poor would get shitty education, or none at all.

In the future, I expect to see more homeschool and online education. The public schools in my area are beginning to offer online education and I'm not  just speaking of college. This is for the area highschools. Meetup.org is allowing parents to come together and form co-op education. The online model offers lower overhead, this means more affordability. I expect to see tutorials, lesson plans, etc. being offered (MIT already does for free)as well as lectures through a skype like interactive video. This is already happening in higher-ed and with places like this sites own Mises U. I would also expect things like open-source information and p2p file sharing to offer these things for free.

The common argument I hear against it are "What if people don't have access to technology." This isn't a problem as a lot of people, inlcuding young folks have smart phones and I-pod's with video capability and tablets are growing more popular.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

SkepticalMetal:
Oh, okay. Public education, FTW!

Once again, I'm gonna defer back to my "survival of the fittest" example.

Oh yeah, and relevent for this thread:

from Guides and Knowledge for your Intellectual Journey:

Education playlist

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

We NEED public cellphone communications, public housing, public meals, and public toilets, public fuckhouses (brothel) because all of these shouldn't be a business.

All of the above is required for any human being in america to thrive!

How dare you capitalists turn these essential goods into a greedy privatized system!

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

@John James

...I was being sarcastic, I agree with you.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 6:51 PM

Gotlucky - correct

Jargon - It works fine. Did you click the "Skip Ad" buttonon Forbes?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

SkepticalMetal:
@John James  ...I was being sarcastic, I agree with you.

I know.  I was just offering another supporting example.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Sorry. I naturally attempt to interpret the underlying tone of one's message, it's one of the downsides of e-mail and written communication in general.

Page 1 of 1 (31 items) | RSS