Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Is Irving Singer a Joke?

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515
Aristophanes Posted: Wed, Sep 19 2012 1:14 AM

Really, I watched this video because I wanted a general philosophy lecture while I tried Black Mesa and...

if you listen closely (or listen at all to the people speaking) you can hear the distinct voice of laughter.  Just at the times when you are thinking to yourself, "Wow, this guy is full of shit."  He will say, "Then I wrote my first book, The Meaning of Life...," then you hear this girl in the audience, "AHAHAHAHHAHAAA." (Because she is thinking what you are thinking.)

The second girl is asked why she, well wait.

The point is this dumb ass is a professor at MIT in the Deptartment of Philosophy and I want to know is he is serious?  I'm going for the sinn of serious on this guy; Irving Singer.  He seems like a joke to me and this video is hilarious if you like watching people unknowingly humiliate themselves while other people laugh and listen along.

Yeah, the second girl is asked what she likes about philosophy (or something) and obviously has never considered anything relating to philosophy; the joke of a professor knows it and the girl who laughs at everyone knows it.  (I almost feel bad for her because she has to know that girl in the audience is laughing at her foolishness.  And it got posted on the internet...- the kids all say their names)

You know the students in the seminar can hear the laughter because the third girl gets laughed at when she mentions that a theology class was a requirement in every grade at her school (Catholic) and she attempts to defend herself by saying there are a lot of misconceptions about her schooling and that "they were very liberal."

The first kid takes the subject ("Philosophy of Love and Sex") as seriously as the professor (which is good for laughs in itself) and the professor's response reeks of vocational insecurity due to this kid's sophistry rivaling his own.  The kid did his thesis on Eros and Language.

And Singer is scared to death of the PC nature and consequences of homosexuality in his philosophy of love course.  He mentions that he has a friend who was writing a book on the philosophy of gay love and he asks to himself, "Why would it be any different that any other kind" (Which is relevant criticism, not a joke as he makes it out to be), are you a homosexual?  And he said he was, then I knew and thought, Yeah, Why wouldn't it be different than other kinds?!"  It is hilarious listening to him reason this stuff out as he brags about being like Socrates and not using notes...

Singer talks about himself as if he is the first ever sophilophister of love (these poor gullible kids that didn't immediately drop this seminar) He asks the students, "I don't know if you've ever heard of him...John Rawles?"  (Girl in the audience cracks up) ... "He was a good friend of mine and when he wrote that very famous chapter... I...I said to him...you don't do anything different that MLK..." (I'll let you hear the rest of it.)

Towards the end he starts talking about the genius of Kant and Schopenhauer and following it up, "but I disagree with them."  He is definitely not 'tooting his own horn' to these ignorant/idolizing students even as he says, "the crucial thing is not what I say, but you developing your own mind."  Jesus...

Black Mesa is cool as hell and free, by the way.  "Better than Half-Life" it has been called...

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

No one wants to sit in on an MIT philosophy seminar??

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I watched the first 10minutes an didn't notice anything worthy of comment.

I expect I'll watch it all eventually because I'm curious. Aside from that I don't understand your criticisms. It seems clear that you think he is foolish but I can't discern what the foolishness is concretely

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Do listen.  The things he says vary from interesting to flagrantly absurd.  You'll hear the girl laughing at the appropriate times.  He wrote a book called The Meaning of Life...I mean c'mon.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS