Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

LvMI IP hypocracy

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 239
Points 5,820
The Texas Trigger Posted: Fri, Sep 21 2012 5:41 AM

So I don't really think LvMI is totally hypocritical when it comes to IP, but there is this little exchange:

http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2009/01/bullshit-response-from-jeffrey-tucker.html

This guys conception of property and IP is all wrong but his exchange with Tucker, if true, is a bit startling.

Add to this that at the bottom of the daily's it says you may repost so long as you give credit to the author....UNDER WHOSE AUTHORITY!

If I want to repost the article verbatim, isn't this my right? What if I don't credit the author? Are they going to sue me? It doesnt say, "we ask out of respect that you do but you don't have to credit the author." It is a condition on the repost.

What are your thoughts?

"If men are not angels, then who shall run the state?" 

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 312
Points 4,325
Chyd3nius replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 5:42 AM

According international IP-laws you can't give your copyrights away. You are forced by law to credit the author.

-- --- English I not so well sorry I will. I'm not native speaker.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 6:59 AM

If people don't state attribution, then there is a danger of down the line what was originally their 'own' piece of text to be regarded by someone else as 'theirs'. In others words, for ambiguity to arise about the 'ownership' of LvMI. Under that ambiguity there is the risk of LvMI themselves being sued. That doesn't necessarily mean that the expectency is to lose such a case, but being engaged in a legal battle is itself a threat (time and money waster).

That is a good reason to give credit under our current legal system, to keep clarity about that information that some people are trying to keep free.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 7:09 AM

Dave, what's the point of that picture?

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Autolyk,

It's a photo of nitpicking, as my reply to the OP.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 7:27 AM

Ah, gotcha. Thanks. I'm a little slow this morning.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 239
Points 5,820

ok so that explains why the require that you give credit but what about tuckers response to the EPJ's writer requesting to publish Mises book which the Mises university has a "copyright" over. Is there some other party they share the cpyright with who does not want it to be published or something, tying their hands?

"If men are not angels, then who shall run the state?" 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,113
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 8:19 AM

When the facts change I change my mind.

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 8:46 AM

When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir? -Keynes

I most graciously point out that the situation is not ceteris paribus - Wheylous

And you can QUOTE me on that! (Given you give proper credit - or else!)

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 10:59 AM

I say this not on behalf of the LvMI:

It is not that the LvMI requires, but rather that the state requires it; otherwise, there is the risk that someone else will claim copyright and, thus, block the publication of the work.

There is another thread on this topic. Maybe JJ can dig it up.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 11:12 AM

ok so that explains why the require that you give credit but what about tuckers response to the EPJ's writer requesting to publish Mises book which the Mises university has a "copyright" over. Is there some other party they share the cpyright with who does not want it to be published or something, tying their hands?

In some cases the LvMI doesn't have the full copyright, but in other cases they do and in those cases they make sure to publish it under creative commons attribution. I have seen a number of books being reprinted by other people, based on previous LvMI publications (please correct me if I'm wrong).

See for example: http://www.largeprintliberty.com/ , which states at the bottom of their pages: 'Books based on works published primarily by the Ludwig von Mises Institute, using CreateSpace'.

Also: stating "copyright of XXXX, year YYYY" is simply stating who the copyright owner is (which is automatically granted by the state and not reversible).

Wenzel in this case is trolling and Tucker knew it. Wenzel wasn't actually interested in publishing anything (it seems to me from a quick glance at that page).

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 1:32 PM

What about copyleft

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 3:27 PM