Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** October 2012 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 310 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Fri, Oct 19 2012 7:17 PM
Haha, do a de-Marinecorpsification Manual (out with the yut, in with the you!)
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

RagnarD - i thought that was related to the project, but that was close to the idea i was giving her and she didnt like

Malachi - thats actually not a bad idea.  kind of like get the inner statist out.  Hmmmm.... I'm going to email her that and see if its acceptable.  I think it will be...

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Fri, Oct 19 2012 7:32 PM
You can no longer assume that because a person is fat, he must necessarily also be stupid. Its no longer socially acceptable to fart on people. Stuff like that I guess
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

There is something called 'getting fired' so work is no longer spending the day napping between smoke breaks and sharing pictures of the girls you banged the previous weekend.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Fri, Oct 19 2012 7:52 PM
If only one could get fired from the suck! Ha HA!

Yah, no more 2 hour lunches either. Also, no more duty. But put a bandaid over the tattoo of a bayonet plunging into a communist's eye, that you for some reason, had put on your forearm.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

A few months ago my girlfriend who works at homeland security did an audit on 1200 expensive radios for field agents... 900 are missing...in only year later.  No penalty just reordered them.

thought yall would like to know.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 12:27 AM

Thanks - my blood pressure was starting to get too low.

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 12:42 AM

Girlfriend working at homeland security? How do you feel about that?

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

Lol not good.  We aren't dating anymore ( well its complicated and won't go into detail).  

She has no clue what I ever talk about and thinks im so insensitive when I explain obamacare (that type of person).  The good news is she is incompetent and only got the job because she is female.  And will hold the same rank in 2 years as my old civilian officer in charge who served for over 50 because of it.  

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 3:07 AM

Lol yeah I don't think I could bear it. I don't mind if someone's like working at a national park or something, but someone who's actively oppressing people...

Some random thoughts on market solutions, or individual solutions, as opposed to state solutions:

So say there's a problem, like workers have shitty working conditions. On the one hand you can pass a law which immediately improves them: shortening the workday, increasing pay and making the equipment safer. Now of course there will be external disadvantages from this such as unemployment or more expensive goods, but internal ones also in comparison to individual solutions. An individual solution would be confederate-unionism, unionizing along a chain of production, waiting until a particularly important time of the year and shutting down all shipping and manufacturing operations, or running around spreading terrible press about the company's poor treatment of the workers. This solution requires the creativity and action of the discontented, simply put: their best. What is the result? A society of constant synthesis: if problems are dealt with, with creativity and dynamism, not only can optimal solutions be reached, wherein workers work-conditions improve and there's no institutional employment or high prices, but new institutions emerge. New mutual societies flourish from communities formed around a struggle as happened with the Knights of Labor, who intended to get their own factory, until the Haymarket Affair and subsequent bad press spelled their downfall. This is something to think about when someone offers a state solution to a problem, which "must" be addressed, that it will be a clunky and static synthesis. With an individualistic response the synthesis can be continual and have positive externalities. To paint a picture: instead of state unionism with all of its make-work projects, intimidation and monopolization, voluntary unions poking and prodding employers towards better conditions. Instead of political impetuses towards more federal spending, an atmosphere of spontaneous synthesis, perhaps actual union-manager conversation rather than the co-opting of union bosses into the company structure and cooling down the workers with wages. I don't mean to sound vulgar by saying any of this, but necessity is the mother of invention. I would've been interested to see what would happen on the American Labor scene in the gilded age had there been private courts and the non-occurrence of the Pullman strike quelling, or at least a more limiting immigration policy.

Free labor vs. Free business seems more and more to me, dare I say it: a third position.

The catch? More effort on the side of those who have to deal with it. One can't be apathetic. But it also really does require a level playing field. In the example of labor v manager, the state can't artificially restrict managerial positions otherwise this type of thing just won't work the way it's supposed to. It would also help if there aren't floods of immigrants coming into the country to cool down every strike with fresh waves of workers. It takes a degree of freedom which is doesn't exist today and almost but didn't exist in 1880.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 9:10 AM

Maybe I'm late on this, but Jets' Tebow trademarking 'Tebowing'

The devout Christian says his representatives filed on his behalf not for financial gain, but "to just control how it's used, make sure it's used in the right way."

What a jackass, I'm going to Tebow at black metal shows now.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 9:42 AM

PJ O'Rourke: We live in an age of "1984"-Lite

Well, Animal Farm sticks in everybody’s mind. All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others. Again, something read twice. I read it for the first time when I was 14 or 15 and it was a funny story about badly behaved animals and then I read it again at college and someone pointed out to me that this was sharp social satire. I thought it was an animal story, a kids’ book, but when I took another look at it I realised what he was getting at. The Soviet leadership was pretty well represented there. But one of the things that’s interesting to me about both Animal Farm and 1984 is that they are warnings against collectivism from a man of the left. Sure, any old Tory or Republican might be likely to make this point, though not so well, perhaps, nor so amusingly, but the fact that it comes from a man of the left is interesting. It seems to me to be something Orwell never fully came to grips with. Maybe if he’d lived longer…

What do you mean?

The necessity for collectivism under his leftist ideals and yet the danger of collectivism no matter who it’s done by seems like something he really wrestled with. I think we all buy the necessity for collectivism in a way. I consider myself to be pretty politically conservative, though it has a somewhat different meaning in America – none of the Lords and wondering whether or not bishops should vote in parliament.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 10:34 AM

A brilliant quote by a person on the Daily Paul:

The founders (most of them) couldn't throw off the idea that people need permission to be free. They needed a "law" to permit freedom . . . and they needed a "government" to make the law . . . and they needed "taxes" to pay for it . . . and it was all downhill from there.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 10:39 AM

In the latest William Norman Grigg article, Mr. Grigg linked to this little interesting bit of information from the government:

“The more than $84 million our staff collected through civil debts, asset forfeiture, fines, assessments and restitution is more than ten times the U.S. Attorney's Office's operational budget,” said Olson. “Our dedicated collection staff of attorneys, paralegals, analysts and fiscal agents ensure that those who owe the federal government money as a result of litigation in this district or as a result of longtime debt, such as student loans, make appropriate payments. Our asset forfeiture staff likewise works efficiently to deprive criminals of the profits of their crimes. This year, they have all done outstanding work and served this office, taxpayers and the federal government well.”

In fiscal year 2012, the U.S. Attorney's Office collected over $3.2 million in federal, non-federal and criminal fines, $854,896.85 of which was distributed to victims of crime.

So, maybe I'm missing something, but the US Attorney's office in Idaho collected $84 million dollars in the fiscal year 2012, and only $854,896.85 went to actual victims of crimes? It sounds like Clayton is spot on when he says the government is very efficient at its true purpose.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 10:04 PM

I saw those earlier today; absolutely bone-chilling and an indication of how terribly badly we need to stop the present insanity (NWO etc.)

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 232
Points 4,905
fegeldolfy replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 10:29 PM

A few questions about MES and HA

Should these be read back to back? If so, in what order?

Are there any specific books that should be read before one or both of them?

Should they be read sooner rather than later?

To add to the third question, here's a concern of mine: I read both of them early on, and gain a good understanding of Austrian econ. Thus, future easier books, e.g. What Has Government Done to Our Money?, seem redundant, and less fun to read.

Or, I read them later, having already read the classics like WHGDtOM, AGD, etc.? and I'm underwhelmed by them.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Just watched the Presidential Debate.

Honestly, after seeing that, looking back, there was no way that they would have ever let a guy like Ron Paul get in. They want more and more noise, just as they always have.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Oct 23 2012 9:50 AM

Mr. President (and Mr. Romney) - the 1980s called, and they want their drug policy back. While you're at it, let 1984 know that we still have their warantless wiretapping and indefinite detention.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Tue, Oct 23 2012 10:44 AM

A few questions about MES and HA

Should these be read back to back? If so, in what order?

Are there any specific books that should be read before one or both of them?

Should they be read sooner rather than later?

To add to the third question, here's a concern of mine: I read both of them early on, and gain a good understanding of Austrian econ. Thus, future easier books, e.g. What Has Government Done to Our Money?, seem redundant, and less fun to read.

I have not read MES, but my take on HA was this.  The chapter on prices slowed me down (300 pages in I believe), but I actually read some of the later chapters online before I owned the book, and I find those chapters (which are less systematic in explaining theory) to be a casual way to understand Mises' approach.  I think if you own the book (or not) you could go ahead and read parts six and seven or go ahead and read chapters of those online.  Nor does reading something like HA make smaller and less intricate texts less fun to read, they can help you remember points and I find some of the smaller essays published by the LvMI just as vital to understand the theories compared to larger works.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

Boeing test new microwave missile that knocks out electronics

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 1:36 AM

Billionaires quietly dumping US stocks.

Yikes.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 4:25 PM

Glad to see we're getting some groundbreakingly-sound economic studies done:

Popular Kids Higher Paid as Adults

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 366
Points 7,345
Fephisto replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 5:23 PM

....got something you want to tell us Mr.Heurta de Soto?

Latest Projects

"Even when leftists talk about discrimination and sexism, they're damn well talking about the results of the economic system" ~Neodoxy

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Just watched Mr. Smith Goes to Washington again. A fine reminder of how politics = many blood-sucking parasites.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

@ Kelvin Silva

That is hilarious.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 5:40 PM

Diabetic Cleburne Teen Hit With Taser After Crash

Some of the comments are spot on:

Forget that the guy is a diabetic. When did it become standard procedure for cops to taser someone that is not a threat? In the cop's eyes, the guy wasn't complying, so to a certain extent, you can understand the cop's reasoning for wanting to take control of the situation. But the guy wasn't making any threatening gestures. I'm sure he wasn't even making any coherent replies to the cop's demands. Why is that grounds for using a taser on someone? I thought a taser was for neutralizing a threatening suspect.

Exactly, and since he had just been in a car accident, he could have just as easily been suffering from a head injury, as well. Tasers, pepper spray and any other form on suspect "control" should only be used on violent suspects or those threatening violence not because they don't ask "How high, Sir?" when the cop says "jump".

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 232
Points 4,905

Just saw this comment on a Youtube video:

"Here's a picture dipshit, Clinton kept us out of needless wars and balanced the budget. That makes him a hell of a lot better than any other President we've had over the last few decades."

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 208
Points 3,410

Gero:

What a croc

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Just for fun.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 7:01 PM

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 7:14 PM

Nice one, Wheylous. Did you make it or find it?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 7:52 PM

Found it at

http://www.reddit.com/r/libertarianmeme

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 79
Points 1,490
Walden replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 9:49 PM

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 355

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/10/25/HBO-star-ad-Obama-voting-first-time-sex

steven crowder has his fun:

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 8:47 PM
Those videos are awesome.
Page 6 of 8 (311 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > | RSS