Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Intellectual property does exist

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 22 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
20 Posts
Points 1,255
greenbabe posted on Tue, Oct 2 2012 11:20 PM

The only reason you guys say IP doesn't exist is because you don't want to pay for music and movies. You just want to pirate it. 

If you buy a movie, let's say a Blu-ray or DVD, you can't just copy it and make money off your own copies. How is that right? How can musicians make money if everyone just pirates their music? I feel bad for the small bands and music artists that can't make it because people just pirate. 

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515

The only reason you guys say IP doesn't exist is because you don't want to pay for music and movies. You just want to pirate it.

What does "pirate" mean?  I share things on the internet constantly.  I'm not "pirating" anything.

If you buy a movie, let's say a Blu-ray or DVD, you can't just copy it and make money off your own copies. How is that right?

It is not.  And it is theft.

How can musicians make money if everyone just pirates their music? I feel bad for the small bands and music artists that can't make it because people just pirate.

By being good enough to inspire morality in the people that listen to them.  I am a musician.  I don't feel sorry for my peers if people do not like them enough to buy their merch or albums.  They need to get better and the market will give money to them.  Who would be so pretentious as to assume that the art they create is going to be valued by the market at a level to sustain them like a rock star?

Rich musicians have gotten rich through record companies advertising them.  The internet will be a different battleground

Further, being an artist isn't a job.  Recent history has spoiled the minds of the "artists" who think that other (real) artists have been wealthy and/or happy throughout history.  This is not the case and has rarely been.

Okay, so theft and stealing, by definition, require a person to take something that is rightfully owned by another person and demonstrate intent to prevent the rightful owner of the utility of that object.

A scenario where I copy an mp3 from the internet in no way prevents the original owner from selling it to others.  Only when I copy the file, then sell it myself have I committed theft or stolen.  Understand?  In the event that I copy a file and sell it, then I have prevented the rightful owner of selling it to someone else.

See here for further explications on why the market is changing toward freedom and ultra low (penny per song) prices. - One of the comments make the same arguments that you do, so they might be helpful.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
  • | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
48 Posts
Points 760

If I can produce a CD more cheaply than you, more consumers will be able to buy them. More people will listen, and consequently,  more people will go to shows. That's where artists make money. Ticket sales and merchandise. The only ones pissed off about the advent of mp3s are record companies. Without YouTube and "pirating", thousands of bands wouldn't have ever even been heard. And I think an unintended consequence is poor music. The music of today relatively sucks. Many bands make one decent single that is listenable, maybe even catchy, and then fill the remainder of their albums with "filler". Junk. They do this to make money. Whereas classical composers wrote music because they loved music, or church (a lot of them played for churches and kings as jobs). The result is soulless, unimaginative, unoriginal noise. The days of blues, jazz and real rock and roll are over, until one day maybe people play for the music, not for their egos, or the money, etc.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,018 Posts
Points 17,760

I think that by intellectual property, people are thinking of IDEAS.

So lets say music x contained the idea of beating drums. You cannot copy right the beating of drums. Music y can certainly contain the beating of drums. There is no good stolen here is there? Just ideas shared.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
48 Posts
Points 760

Aristophanes:

It is not.  And it is theft.

I disagree. Unless you're making CDs saying it's you that is the artist, and not simply providing cheaper "copy" CDs, it's not theft. But if you are, it's still not theft, but rather fraud.

Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515

So lets say music x contained the idea of beating drums. You cannot copy right the beating of drums. Music y can certainly contain the beating of drums. There is no good stolen here is there? Just ideas shared.

The way IP exists today people can get sued for using the same chord progressions...there are only so many notes!! =P

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,118 Posts
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

greenbabe:

The only reason you guys say IP doesn't exist is because you don't want to pay for music and movies.

??? I use Netflix, buy music on iTunes, and watch music videos on YouTube that record labels upload themselves.

How can musicians make money if everyone just pirates their music? I feel bad for the small bands and music artists that can't make it because people just pirate. 

Ask Lady Gaga. She goes on tour and makes millions off of that. People pay to see her perfom!

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845

Yes, you caught us. We just want free music downloads. It has nothing to do with the historical evidence that patents and copyrights obstruct progress and the economic and legal problems with intellectual property. Just simple greed. Because we're ultra-right-wing capitalists. We're greedy virtually by definition.

There were no intellectual property laws to speak of when this was composed:

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515

I disagree. Unless you're making CDs saying it's you that is the artist, and not simply providing cheaper "copy" CDs, it's not theft. But if you are, it's still not theft, but rather fraud.

Mmm. Good points.  I guess I would think of it as theft of customers.  There is some aspect of distribution agency here...

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,018 Posts
Points 17,760

You gotta be kidding. Anyhow, i shall delve more into intellectual property since i myself have a few questions....

After reading MES of course (just got it in the mail yesterday).

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,118 Posts
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Kelvin Silva:

[...] After reading MES of course (just got it in the mail yesterday).

You mean that you paid for a physical copy of a book when you could have downloaded an electronic copy of it via BitTorrent?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845

You mean that you paid for a physical copy of a book when you could have downloaded an electronic copy of it via BitTorrent?

HAHAHAHA

Also note that any publisher could start printing it in competition with the current printer!! Oh noes!!!

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515

Also note that any publisher could start printing it in competition with the current printer!! Oh noes!!!

Could they?

Does the LvMI work out deals with the Liberty Fund?  So that they might feature each others works?  Does anyone know?

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,018 Posts
Points 17,760

Well i cant stand reading long books on the computer (perhaps an article or so). I myself like a physical book that i can hold on to.

Am i being too old school?

Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515

Am i being too old school?

Nah.  Old school isn't bad even if it was.  I get phone numbers not Facebook referrals;  Old school.

I buy most books I read.  It is impressive to have a bookshelf.

I have a Kindle for shared academic journals and essays I find online.  And I do have the occasional ebook.  You never have to pay for ebooks.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS