Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Guess who wrote this...

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 488
Points 8,140
LeeO Posted: Wed, Oct 3 2012 1:20 PM

...fantastic critique of democracy:

"[this political doctrine] denies that the majority, through the mere fact of being a majority, can rule human societies; it denies that this majority can govern by means of a periodical consultation; it affirms the irremediable, fruitful and beneficent inequality of men, who cannot be leveled by such a mechanical and extrinsic fact as universal suffrage. . . . Democracy is a regime without a king, but with very many kings, perhaps more exclusive, tyrannical and violent than one king even though a tyrant. . . ."

Don't cheat and look it up.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290

I didn't read/try to interpret the whole thing (I skimmed it) but I'm guessing someone more libertarian than Jefferson, maybe Rothbard.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 440

H. L. Mencken?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 239
Points 5,820

Just judging from the forum title, I am going to guess that its someone we wouldn't normally expect to say such a thing but perhaps might given the right context. There are many evil men in history who also hated democracy in much the same way that Krugman hated TARP and the Banking Bailouts ("It just isn't enough!). I am going to guess either Marx or Hitler, maybe even  Mussolini or Stalin? No, I bet it was F4M!

"If men are not angels, then who shall run the state?" 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 488
Points 8,140
LeeO replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 1:44 PM

I am going to guess either Marx or Hitler, maybe even  Mussolini or Stalin? No, I bet it was F4M!

Well done - it's one of those five. 

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

Going along with what The Texas Trigger said, it sounds to me like Hitler in Mein Kampf.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 2:14 PM

Hmm, clearly 18th+ century style. I'd venture to say Hamilton, Jefferson, or perhaps Paine. In a more off-the-wall guess, I'd venture Herbert Spencer.

---

***Edit: Knowing who it is now, the end being argued for, for such a critique, is quite different than our preference, even if the reasoning is fairly sound. And I was fooled by a multitude of semi-colons :P

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I'm going to go with this guy.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,505
TronCat replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 2:39 PM

Mussolini. 

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 488
Points 8,140
LeeO replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 2:58 PM

TronCat Wins!

It's from his essay The Doctrine of Fascism published in 1932. A few pages later Mussolini writes:

"If the nineteenth was the century of the individual (Liberalism means individualism) it may be expected that this one may be the century of 'collectivism' and therefore the century of the State."

As Rothbard put it, let's repeal the 20th century!

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Looking it up on Wikipedia, it seems like Mussolini is talking about fascism, not democracy, in the first quote.

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 488
Points 8,140
LeeO replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 3:37 PM

He's saying that fascism denies that democracy works. Just like anarcho-capitalism denies that democracy works.

According to Paul Gottfried, Italian fascism wasn't all that bad before Mussolini got into bed with Hitler.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS