Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Is force acceptable to 'protect' children from abusive homes?

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,505
TronCat Posted: Wed, Oct 3 2012 3:31 PM

I remember watching a seminar that Molyneux did (this was a few years back) where he was asked whether or not the use of force is right in this situation (protecting children from abusive homes). He said that it is the only exception we should make.

Agree? Disagree? How could this be handled?  

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

I summon forth Clayton!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 3:34 PM

Mr. Molyneux also stated that society does not use even 1% of the power of ostracism.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,505
TronCat replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 3:36 PM

LOL, how does he come up with that? 

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 10:01 PM

People are social animals.  If a parent was abusing their child then the community could ostracise that parent up to the point of not selling them things like food.  The community would be able to handle many situations of criminal behavior through this process and be able to correct peoples behavior.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,505
TronCat replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 10:21 PM

I understand that, and I think there is a point to be made there. I was just wondering where he gets the "1%" from. Anyway, is the reason ostracism so disregarded simply because of people placing too much importance on the state's 'duty' of child protective services? 

If a parent was abusing their child then the community could ostracise that parent up to the point of not selling them things like food.

And how does that help the child? 

The community would be able to handle many situations of criminal behavior through this process and be able to correct peoples behavior.

I'm just interested in specific solutions. 

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 792
Points 13,825

People are social animals.  If a parent was abusing their child then the community could ostracise that parent up to the point of not selling them things like food.

I'm sure that would help the abused children. Adbused and hungry. I'm also sure abusive parents are far less abusive when they are hungry and pissed off at their neighbors.

faber est suae quisque fortunae

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 853
Points 17,830

TronCat,

You may be interested in this thread: How To Rescue A Child (Without The State)

I'd be wary of Molyneux' definition of "abuse."  In his eyes nearly all parents are child abusers. 

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,289
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 2:54 PM

Doesn't matter, if it is a child or an adult. The point is that the "protector" would have to prove in court, that his actions were justified. Personally I wouldn't feel safe living in a society where anyone could break my doors and take my child if they suspected he/she was "abused", so I'd better trust private organization instead of individual vigilante. So in short, yes, it is acceptable, just like it is acceptable to defend a man being beaten by thugs in dark alley. It's the core of basic property rights and NAP.

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS