Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

'Entitlements'

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 23 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
20 Posts
Points 1,255
greenbabe posted on Thu, Oct 4 2012 10:16 PM

People pay for these so called 'entitlements' out of their pockets. How could it be an entitlement if they pay for it!?

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Not Ranked
20 Posts
Points 1,255

"Handouts" aren't bad either, because they still pay for it. The word doesn't matter. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

My post was incorrect - it is an entitlement. Just as when I pay for a house I have an entitlement to the house, because the title to it is mine.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

"Handouts" aren't bad either, because they still pay for it. The word doesn't matter. 

Nah, they don't. If every person paid for his own handouts, then why have handouts at all?

Top 50 Contributor
2,679 Posts
Points 45,110

Administrative fees, more commonly known as protection money.

Top 50 Contributor
2,258 Posts
Points 34,610

greenbabe:

I'm saying that it's not entitled to want government services for what you PAID for. 

First to all, some people are net tax consumers and net tax payers. So, some people are receiving much more than what they pay in. These people are getting much more than they paid for and it is wrong.

If everyone received in services exactly what they paid in, then the whole thing would be ridiculous and people would be better off keeping their money in the first place.

But beyond that, it's immoral to force people to pay into a system that they wouldn't freely choose if not being forced. That always happens before you can worry about getting in services what you were forced to pay for. thus if you righted that wrong, your question would be irrelevant.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,018 Posts
Points 17,760

Here is a link that explains it well:

http://bit.ly/T4CMBY

Welfare recipients do not pay income tax, welfare checks are not taxable.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Not Ranked
24 Posts
Points 645

welfare checks (unemployment) is taxable.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,018 Posts
Points 17,760

If welfare is your only source of income then it isnt taxable.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Not Ranked
24 Posts
Points 645

well lets agree to disagree even though my only income is welfare.

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS