Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Libertarian theme in Deus Ex: Human Revolution

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 239
Points 5,820
The Texas Trigger Posted: Sat, Oct 6 2012 5:23 PM

Near the end of the Game Deus Ex: Human Revolution, the main character, Adam Jensen, makes some very Libertarian critiques to a political hack he is about to rescue. Video of the conversation below, starting at about 2 min 4 sec.

bad ass...

"If men are not angels, then who shall run the state?" 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,505
TronCat replied on Sat, Oct 6 2012 5:36 PM

Isn't that what the Deus Ex series is all about? I remember the original game incorporating a lot of the Illuminati mythos into it. 

The original game had the "Majestic-12", which was a secretive organization that conspired to control the world: http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Majestic-12

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 239
Points 5,820

TronCat:
Isn't that what the Deus Ex series is all about?

T a large degree, yes. The illuminati played a major role in the original game. In this one, they only get passing mention. This game is a prequel to the original Deus Ex.

It just warmed my heart a little bit, finally having a protagonist in a shooter game that not wasn't part of leviathan, but that actively and explicitly questioned man's ability to rule through a state or edicts and regulations.

I don't know of any other game out there that ever mentioned the illuminati, Bilderburg, etc, except I guess Assassins Creed, which is all about the knights templar into the modern day. 

"If men are not angels, then who shall run the state?" 

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

This game was so terrible compared to the first one. A mine cart on tracks until the last five minutes where your choose three crappy choices. It was like Mass effect 3 without the hype about choice (because let's be honest you expected it from the first game)

Anyways, it could be worse. It could be the movie WANTED or V for Vendetta which have nothing to do with libertarianism. In fact they often go against the very nature of libertarianism in many regards. Yet people still like to wear those stupid masks. 

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,505
TronCat replied on Mon, Oct 8 2012 10:22 AM

I thought Alan Moore (writer of V for Vendetta) was an anarchist. 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS