Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Essential books on monetary economics

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40
crazykiwi Posted: Sun, Oct 7 2012 6:47 AM

I'm new here and fairly new to austrianism itself when it comes to the nitty gritty and 'pure' economics, as opposed to the social stuff, I was wondering what are some of the "essential" books on the monetary side of austrian economics as well as the business cycle?  

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 1,490
Loppu replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 7:47 AM

I guess What Has Government Done to Our Money by Murray N. Rothbard would be a good book for a beginner.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 10:21 AM

I thought that Rothbard's Man, Economy, and State did a really great job with the monetary stuff. Read Chapters 3 and 11 and you'll understand a lot of the monetary aspects of AE, as well as putting them in a good context for modern mainstream discourse. With that said though it's hard to give you a good book that's advanced enough to give you a really good insight into ABCT while at the same time not reading like a brick. I think that Rothbard's "America's Great Depression" might be a decent start, but other than that I don't have any real advice besides trying to read all of MES (which does an infinitely better job of explaining ABCT than Human Action does) or trying to read Hayek's "Prices and Production" which really does not read well in my view.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40

I'm looking at get What Has Government Done To Our Money allready, as well as The Theory of Money and Credit, thanks for the suggestiongs, will look into Man Economy and State as well as America's Great Depression, thanks, I love Rothbard, he's good at explaining things clearly.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS