Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Huerta de Soto's "Money, Bank Credit, and Economic Cycles" and Hulsmann's "Mises:The Last Knight of Liberalism"

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
232 Posts
Points 4,905
fegeldolfy posted on Mon, Oct 8 2012 5:47 PM

Has anyone read these? How are they?

Should Huerta de Soto's work be read before or after stuff like Human Action, Man Economy and State, The Theory of Money and Credit, etc.

How good is the Mises biography?

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650

I'm not really qualified to speak here because I haven't read the book, but I know that De Soto's book is probably the best work in anything really economic that an Austrian has written since Rothbard. I wouldn't tackle it without HA and MES under my belt, but that's true about a lot of stuff

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 500 Contributor
232 Posts
Points 4,905

Thanks.

Has anyone else read these books?

Oh, what about Böhm-Bawerk? What's the best work of his to start with?

Top 500 Contributor
312 Posts
Points 4,325

I have it. It's basicly 100% bankers treatise, but if you're FRB-supporting Austrian you won't get much of it. What do you want to learn? If you're more interested about ABCT, then maybe checking some Roger Garrison?

-- --- English I not so well sorry I will. I'm not native speaker.
Top 500 Contributor
232 Posts
Points 4,905

I still have a lot to learn, so I'm open to really anything. 

Basically my questions are...

Should I read Huerta de Soto's Money, Bank Credit, and Economic Cycles early on in my reading, or should I read it after I have familiarized myself with stuff like Man Economy and State, Human Action, etc.? Basically, how difficult is it?

What's Jorg Guido Hulsmann's "Mises: The Last Knight of Liberalism" like? Is it a good biography? Is it a good introduction to Mises's works and life?

I got all the epub versions of Eugen von Bohm Bawerk's books on my kindle. What I'm wondering is, what's the best one to start with? How's Bohm Bawerk as an economist? Should he be read early on, or is he someone who I should put off until I understand Austrian principles a bit better?

Top 500 Contributor
143 Posts
Points 2,440

To be honest, I didn't find H de Soto's book harder than HA and MES. Perhaps it is because I have read HA and MES before Money, Bank Credit, and Economic Cycles. But even so, I think H de Soto is not particularly more difficult than the two other books. If what really interests you is the ABCT, so I recommend you to start with de Soto, see chapter 5 & 6. (I've never read Böhm Bawerk and The Last Knight of Liberalism)

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS