Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Is Ron Paul an Anarchist?

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,505
TronCat Posted: Tue, Oct 9 2012 9:22 AM

I've never seen this video before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQWz2zQ9OmI

At least he has considered it. Some claim that Ron is an anti-statist that just (as he says in the video) "works with what he has". Of course, there is much argument of whether or not political action is actually productive to the cause, but it can be argued that he's done more than anyone in the mainstream to veer people toward our direction.  

• | Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

He could be. I know I never would have become interested in this stuff if it wasn't for him taking libertarianism and all it's variants to the mainstream. I know back in Revolutionary Spain there were anarchist politicians convincing people that government sucks by using the political system as a means to tell this to them, so he could be doing that, in a sense.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290

He is a jeffersonian, but I believe he sees the state as an unnecessary evil just like I do.  He has tried to educate, but he realizes that Human Action may prevent a zero world govt and that it may even prevent a zero national govt.  Culture and tradition have helped people to think that the state is a necessary evil even though the only constant is change.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 239
Points 5,820

It is hard to say, but in my opinion, I would guess he is a closet anarchist. You cannot be that smart, that dedicated to liberty, and hang out with Murray Rothbard that much, and not be one.

"If men are not angels, then who shall run the state?" 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Here's something of interest that relates here:

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 853
Points 17,830

Someone should really just ask him.  Oh wait, someone already did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFYRHZpavX4#t=4m6s

Q: "I know you stand for the Constitution, but what do you say to people who advocate self-government, rather than a return to the Constitution?"

Ron Paul: "Great.  Fine.  I think that's really what my goal is."

More evidence:

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

And this.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 290

Many people, blinded by their ignorance, have fallen into the Stockholm Effect and embrace their captors (the State) as a necessary part of life.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

What about his position on borders? Not very anarcho-capitalistic, is it?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 372
Points 8,230

He's probably in favor of an anarcho-capitalist society in theory but doesn't openly advocate for the complete abolishment of the state because practicality.

"Nutty as squirrel shit."
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 372
Points 8,230

SkepticalMetal:
What about his position on borders? Not very anarcho-capitalistic, is it?

I believe his position is essentially the same as Rothbard's.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Rothbard didn't believe in the state, thus the only borders would be property lines. Ron Paul however has stated many times that he'd like to see more government enforcement of our borders, which is contrary to the "purist" libertarian advocacy of completely open borders.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 372
Points 8,230

Yes, but we don't live in a country where all is private, our country is essentially government run.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

I think that ron paul is a closeted anarchist.

Remember guys, ron paul is a political animal human, and as such he may say things that he needs to say to align to republican party (enforcing borders).

But if you dig deep enough, he combats illegal immigration by cutting off the welfare state. He hates amnesty.

he doesnt agree with purist libertarian open borders but also does not like berlin walls around mexico (in that case they will be mexican walls).

So he kinda teeters on the middle ground, because remember if they find out hes an anarchist, his political carreer is screwed.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 853
Points 17,830

SkepticalMetal:

Rothbard didn't believe in the state, thus the only borders would be property lines. Ron Paul however has stated many times that he'd like to see more government enforcement of our borders, which is contrary to the "purist" libertarian advocacy of completely open borders.

The question being put to Ron Paul is essentially: "Given that the state monopolises security, should the state borders be open or closed?".  This question is equivalent to: "Given that the state monopolises schooling, should the state schools teach X?".

There is no libertarian answer to either one of these questions, because the premise is incompatible with libertarianism.  The only libertarian position is to dispute the premises.  Paul doesn't fall into the trap of the answering the second question with a yes or no: he simply disagrees with the premise.  But since Paul is basically undercover when it comes to how thinks security should really be provided, he can't publicly disagree with the premise of the first question, so he needs to give an opinion one way or the other about what the policy should be.  Answering the question in favor of open borders is no more libertarian than answering in favor of closed borders.  There is no libertarian answer. 

The position that Paul takes is the same as the one Hoppe talks about here.  Essentially, private owners / security firms would almost certainly have a 'closed border' policy, so given the premise that the state exists, it should have a closed border policy as well.  Agree or disagree with this reasoning, it cannot be said that one position on the borders question is libertarian while the other is not.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 132
Points 1,890

"What about his position on borders? Not very anarcho-capitalistic, is it?"

He wants to turn all government owned land over to private owners. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td9eG8ElUms

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS