Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Defending Ancapiland (National defense)

rated by 0 users
This post has 129 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 12:53 PM

I thought that it was prettymuch universally accepted that the anarchist utopia was called Ancapistan? I think it rolls of the tongue a lot more than Ancapiland...

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 2:43 PM

I'd rather live somewhere called Fruitopia or Burger World to be honest.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Rothbardigrad.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

What about Volunville?

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

We already know its up to private road companies to name their streets.

Volunville sounds gay.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I was wondering what the responses would be to that. It sounds like the name of some town in The Three Stooges.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I GOT IT - Volungrad. Sounds Soviet, but...isn't! Get it?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 10:39 PM

@Neodoxy

Unfortunately I'm not able to understand what you meant by much of your post... :( But I'm either confused or your mistaken if I'm understanding that you think I deny objective value, at least in one sense. Given that brains define their own algorithms of cost:benefit, all values are objectively as a matter of fact as opposed to opinion, justified and right according to each individuals brain.

What do you accept as good and evil?

I deny that concept. People always invoke rape as the ultimate moral concept. But it's just used for manipulation, because the human mind is vulnerable to psychological manipulation. In so many species of living beings, the males rape females. But suddenly if your DNA is that of homo sapiens, it becomes "morally wrong" whatever the **** that means.

I would personally not rape anyone because of my environment. And I wouldn't wish that anyone in my environment suffer rape. But I wouldn't say the rapist should be punished, because I'm not him, I don't know what circumstances he experienced that caused him to have such a cost:benefit decision. I can say that if he grew up in an environment like mine (i.e. suburban white america) then I'm infinitely sad for the state of mind he must experience that causes him to be so desperate for pleasure at the cost of human suffering.

And what sort of world do you want to see?

I think it's a trick question. It's another way of saying "how should the world be". I want to see the world the way it was meant to be—exactly the way it is. That way has allowed us to exist and to progress. Nature has no morals. If I had to change anything I would be the most powerful person in the world. That's what the human mind fundamentally wants. All other moral baggage is precisely that: baggage, designed to limit the desire for and thus the competition for that position. Yes, humans are both brilliantly dominant and ruthless and simultaneously vulnerable to psychological manipulation.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 11:00 PM
When we say "value is subjective" we mean that "values are subject-dependent." no one denies the objective realness of people's value judgments, or the fact that they derived those value judgments through human thought processes. Youre actually trying to bridge the fact-value crevasse yourself by insisting that other people's value judgments must be respected simply because they thought them up like humans do. You have reified a truism into a moral dictate.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 11:23 PM

other people's value judgments must be respected

That's precisely the opposite of what I'm saying. My entire point is that there is no saying anyone's values should be respected. They will or won't be respected, based on countless factors beyond the grasp of anyone's conscious, but that isn't to say that they should or shouldn't be respected. Of course, as we agree, each individual can decide for himself as a matter of objective fact whether he will or won't respect someone's values, and whatever decision he makes is by definition the correct one since his brain defines it's own equation and answer (the output).

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
Page 4 of 4 (130 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS