Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Contributions of Austrian economists

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 31 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
1,711 Posts
Points 29,285
SkepticalMetal posted on Wed, Oct 10 2012 1:00 PM

Who does everybody here hold to be the Austrian economist that contributed the most to advancing liberty?

My own personal choice would be a tie between Menger and von Bawerk.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650

If you're talking about simply advancing liberty rather than advancing the economic science then you're a fool if you believe that Menger and Bawerk did the most to advance liberty. Both of them were pretty statist compared to what most modern Austrians advocate, and they were pretty moderate classical liberals all things considered.

If we're talking about advancing liberty then Rothbard, no doubt. He's probably the reason that you're here, whoever you are and whether you realize it or not.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
1,711 Posts
Points 29,285

Okay, so let's assume I'm a fool. If I'm not mistaken, Austrians like to look at things long-term, documented by Henry Hazlitt. Simply by forming and organizing the Austrian School, Menger and Bawerk built the entire foundation for which guys like Rothbard could implement their libertarian philosophies upon. Long-term, that makes Menger and Bawerk some very important people in libertarianism, I believe, whether they were libertarians or not.

Top 75 Contributor
1,133 Posts
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Wed, Oct 10 2012 2:36 PM

By that logic Adam Smith is the most important libertarian for paving the way for economics

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650

^

By that logic Socrates was the most important libertarian for helping to start important philosophical discourse which would eventually give birth to utilitarianism and economics

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

By that logic, Adam Smith's mom.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 50 Contributor
1,711 Posts
Points 29,285

Is this thread just going to explode into a series of "by that logic" posts? I get the picture. It's all about where you value someone's contributions, that's what this thread was supposed to be about. And yes, looking back at my original post, I did use a poor choice of words to describe what I wanted to know, but I guess that the original inquiry is meaningless now.

Top 75 Contributor
1,133 Posts
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Wed, Oct 10 2012 3:06 PM

LOL, and the true face of the Mises.org community is revealed to you.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 50 Contributor
1,711 Posts
Points 29,285

I say something relatively simple and everyone practically explodes with contempt at their percieved realization of my lack of information.

Not Ranked
75 Posts
Points 1,255

Mises', he was the most important, imo.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650

Skeptic,

What I said was not meant to imply contempt and perhaps my word choice was rather strong. If you want, then please reframe your question, but the fact is that you need to put some sort of real qualifiers on the matter. If we look at it then if we go from the founding members of the school, Bawerk and Menger, then it would still have been possible for the Austrian school to take a non-libertarian direction depending upon how the available "tools" in the Austrian "toolbox" were utilized, and indeed we saw some of that in Schumpeter's work and a few of the early Austrians. It was only because of the work of Mises and Hayek that we saw the Austrian school take a distinctly libertarian and individualistic direction which will be difficult to ever reverse. Therefore I don't see their work as strictly libertarian, or directly responsible for the way that the Austrian school has evolved.

Rothbard in particular was very influential in actually molding this into a more politically active ideology and dialogue. In a very real way Rothbard is the father of  libertarianism.

Top 50 Contributor
1,711 Posts
Points 29,285

It's really not that important. My original question was meant to gather who believes made the greatest advancements in the Austrian School. I don't even know. I think I'll delete this thread anyway, the matter isn't that critical to the point where it requires a thread.

Top 50 Contributor
1,711 Posts
Points 29,285

If I can figure out how to delete it, that is.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,493 Posts
Points 39,355
Isnt Mises the acknowledged 'leader' and Menger the acknowledged 'founder'?
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 75 Contributor
1,288 Posts
Points 22,350

Don't delete it.  All the replies are simply inane and are using ridiculous arguments.  Menger and Bohm-Bawerk did contribute to advancing liberty since they discovered new aspects of economic science that advanced the arguments for liberty vs. statism, and constantly owned their statist opponents in debates.

Adam Smith contributed nothing that was both original and true.  He did not pave the way for economics at all.  That's even more ridiculous than saying that Einstein paved the way for physics.  But at least Einstein might have made some original, valuable contributions.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS