Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

My friend disagrees with "natural rights" and anarchy...

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,505
TronCat Posted: Fri, Oct 12 2012 7:35 AM

"Anarchocapitalism is based around Rothbard's natural law theory, the non-aggression axiom/principle, and Hoppe's argumentation ethic, all of which are based on the assumption that the concept of ownership exists as an absolute, abstract object that we all must think of in the same terms, and that it can be permanently linked to someone based on "rights". But "rights" don't naturally occur, they must be maintained by society. Which makes ownership the capability to *control* resources."

Those are his thoughts. What do you think? 

• | Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

This describes only a specific brand of AnCapism, which for some unexplicable reason is called Rothbard's propertarianism ;)

One radically different approach is using utilitarian arguments (e.g., David D. Friedman - don't forget the middle D).

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 875
Points 14,180
xahrx replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 8:53 AM

I think there is a surface legitimacy to it because if you define property in some way that gives you a 'right' to use what ancaps would consider someone else's property, then the system breaks down.  However in that case it comes down to whether or not either side can justify its definition of property.  Nor does ancapism necessarily require a strict Rothbardian approach to property.  It's perfectly possible in a purely free system that the generally accepted practice toward property use wouldn't be as strict.  For example, the free market punishment for shooting a tespasser might be pretty severe in the end if the market judgement tends to be you should give people a break and, as long as they're not causing trouble, let them cross your land without explicit permission.

The underlying assumption which backs a lot of objections to strict private property rights is that people will behave like dicks and not share what they own.  The opposite is true in my view.  The more wealthy people become, the more likely they are to be charitable and make allowances.  And, the more likely they are to ostracize or punish people who aren't reasonable in their judgement.

So in the end all ancapism requires is people voluntarily workout the definition of property.

"I was just in the bathroom getting ready to leave the house, if you must know, and a sudden wave of admiration for the cotton swab came over me." - Anonymous
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 9:26 AM

Those are his thoughts. What do you think?

But "rights" don't naturally occur, they must be maintained by society. Which makes ownership the capability to *control* resources."

He's exactly right. Rights are a social construct, and 'own' means 'control'. More interesting questions are...
- what does he propose
- do you agree and why

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 653
Points 13,185

"Anarchocapitalism is based around Rothbard's natural law theory, the non-aggression axiom/principle, and Hoppe's argumentation ethic, all of which are based on the assumption that the concept of ownership exists as an absolute, abstract object that we all must think of in the same terms, and that it can be permanently linked to someone based on "rights". But "rights" don't naturally occur, they must be maintained by society. Which makes ownership the capability to *control* resources."

Nonsense.  He rejects the idea that ownership exists as an absolute outside of the realm of social structure, and then reachese the exact opposite conclusion -- that ownership is determined by an absolute factor outside the realm of social structures.

they said we would have an unfair fun advantage

"enough about human rights. what about whale rights?" -moondog
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 10:04 AM

Great point, Mikachusetts. I wonder if TronCat's friend is even aware that he contradicted himself.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 875
Points 14,180
xahrx replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 10:54 AM

Another question to ask is why then to do people under certain circumstances react to another's perfect ability to control a resource as unjust?

At root then, isn't he just avoiding an argument about the right and wrong, or acceptable vs unacceptable means of controlling resources?

"I was just in the bathroom getting ready to leave the house, if you must know, and a sudden wave of admiration for the cotton swab came over me." - Anonymous
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

Concept of ownership is commonly accepted as an absolute outside of an cap. The only people that tend to disagree in theory are marxists, who ironically tend to be quick to prevent their iphone from being stolen when I asked if it could be shared with myself on a long term loan.

I don't know what he means by permanently linked to someone based on "rights". Rothbard's natural rights uses deductive reasoning and other forms of logic to make the case for natural rights. Where he makes it clear that individuals have rights due to being conscious human beings and not due to society.

Advise person in op to read Ethics of Liberty. Ask him if he was stranded on an island and built himself a house and someone came to that island would that new comer have the right to rape, steal from and murder him, just because there would be no society present to link "rights" to the individual?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,505
TronCat replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 1:17 PM

Nonsense.  He rejects the idea that ownership exists as an absolute outside of the realm of social structure, and then reachese the exact opposite conclusion -- that ownership is determined by an absolute factor outside the realm of social structures.

I don't quite understand how his conclusion is an abstract. Isn't he correct that 'ownership = control'? 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Ownership is the ability to deny the use of an object.

So if i have a pencil X, i can give it to you to control it for y amount of time, then give it back to  me. But if you ask me to use the pencil i can deny your use of it.

Private property ownership is then derived from Self Ownership.

If I own my self, then anything that I manufacture, is mine.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 653
Points 13,185

Isn't he correct that 'ownership = control'? 

Even if it were the case that ownership = control (and its not), the issue is that such a conclusion flies in the face of his initial claims.  He starts out saying that ownership is a social construct, not some absolute principle that exists "out there."  Fine.  But his conclusion (ownership=control) not only blatently contradicts the observable facts regarding how ownership is treated in ANY society, it posits an absolute principle which stands outside of society by which we can determine ownership.

they said we would have an unfair fun advantage

"enough about human rights. what about whale rights?" -moondog
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 2:41 PM

I'm still not keen on "natural rights" so yeah...

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS