Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Wheylous at LibertyFest with Kokesh, Woods, Murphy, etc!!!

rated by 0 users
This post has 46 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,745
Wheylous Posted: Sun, Oct 14 2012 6:33 PM

I saw Kokesh, Woods, and Murphy at LibetyFest and Johnson in DC. It was AWESOME!

And lastly, me throwing up voluntary Vs:

On Johnson:

He was a pleasant guy to talk with. I asked him about the long term plan for Medicare and he gave some crappy answer about cutting some of it and giving more power to the states. I asked whether he ultimately would like to see it cut, and he said something like "I think that there are some people who need to be helped and as an American I want to help them", to which I wanted to say "then please, go ahead and give them your own money", but I decided to drop it because this is a political meetup and not a chance to iron out libertarian ideologies. I also spoke with some state Libertarian Party leaders on strategy, but nothing amazingly awesome.

On LibertyFest:

It was AWESOME!!!! Soooo many libertarians! And soooo many AnCaps! It might have been better labeled as AnCapFest or Voluntaryville given the insane amount of AnCaps there. I mean, Tom Woods, Murphy, Kokesh, etc, etc! It was in some underground bar in NYC, and the outside looked sketchy as heck. You had to go down these dark stairs with punk art all over them. Then in the basement there was a hall where there were tables set up selling books, pins, shirts, and, yes, silver (of which I bought some :P ). The thing was from 2-10 PM (Sat Oct 13th) and there were tons of speakers. There was a comedian guy and a band (don't know their names :( ) and they were pretty good. All the speeches were great. Most of the speakers appeared to be AnCaps, and there happened to be some rivalry. There was Judge Gray (Johnson's VP) who gave a pitch for Johnson, then some later speakers were like "No, don't vote for him" and gave a bunch of reasons why Johnson's stances were misleading and while in line with Libertarianism, not in line with libertarianism. So there was some tension there, but Tom Woods at the end gave a great speech which can best be summarized as "chip away at the state in all your deeds" and said that while we may disagree on some things, we are moving in the same direction. I got to promote my website**LibertyHQ** and I got to ask Tom Woods about libertarian child theory. I also got to network with some other students. Interesting thing: most of the people there were not students. I feel like most people were 30 and above, with tons of older people. There was one lady who asked for a picture with Kokesh so she could show her liberal Democrat husband, and they took a pic with him dipping her :P . So yeah, it was awesome!! You guys should have been there! Try to make it next year!! Soo fun!

Bonus:

On the way to the convention, I stopped at an awesome Falafel place and found this on the window: http://i.imgur.com/E6dmf.jpg , which read http://i.imgur.com/Ty80I.jpg . Voluntary regulation at work!

• | Post Points: 140
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,830
Groucho replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 11:37 PM

Sounds like my kind of place! I'll have to make an effort to attend an upcoming LibertyFest.

Thanks for sharing!

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 12:08 AM

1. Soooo jealous

2. I'd do something about the red eye on your camera

3. Sooooooooooooooooo jealous

4. Who is the guy in the second to last picture... The one who isn't you?

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,830
Groucho replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 12:25 AM

Neodoxy:
4. Who is the guy in the second to last picture... The one who isn't you?

I believe it's Norman Fell, who played the lovable Mr. Roeper on Three's Company.
An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855
ThatOldGuy replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 12:55 AM

Sounds like you had a blast. Did you get a chance to chat with Tom, Adam, or Bob? 

How many shirts did you bring? indecision

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,310
Heather replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 12:56 AM

Neodoxy:

4. Who is the guy in the second third to last picture... The one who isn't you?

Same glasses, curly hair, same smirk...Oh no, it's Bob Murphy from 30 years ago! Unraveling the very fabric of the space-time continuum!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,745
Wheylous replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 9:11 AM

That's Justin Zelinsky, a friend of mine who goes to the same university (he gave me permission to use his name).

I did get to talk to them :)

I brought a few shirts because I had to stay over at someone else's place for a few days, and I decided midway through the event that my blue shirt was nicer than my black one :P

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Dipping her? What the heck does that mean?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,745
Wheylous replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 9:28 AM

Like dancers do - the guy holds the girl and leans her back.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I see.

And why does your shirt have German on it?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,745
Wheylous replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 10:10 AM

I don't discriminate against languages on my shirts :P

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Awesome.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 653
Points 13,185

That's Justin Zelinsky,

He used to work at Chipotle.

they said we would have an unfair fun advantage

"enough about human rights. what about whale rights?" -moondog
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,745
Wheylous replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 2:02 PM

Holy crap. You know him?

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 653
Points 13,185

I don't know him, but my roommate does.

That's why they call it Smalltimore.

they said we would have an unfair fun advantage

"enough about human rights. what about whale rights?" -moondog
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,745
Wheylous replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 2:39 PM

Justin asks who your roommate is.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I'd love to go, but DC is veeeerrrry far away. I'm in Florida, so yeah, kind of sucks.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 12
Points 180

It was in NYC, actually.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 12
Points 180

I'm a bit excited that someone on the Mises forum knows me!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Oh. I thought Wheylous said that it was in DC.

And I heard that Adam Kokesh gave some speech about him saying that he was "Jewish where it counts." What the heck was that about?

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 12
Points 180

During his speech, Kokesh was alluding to that the government controlled everything and some guy in the audience kept screaming "It's the jews!" Once Kokesh explicetly said the government, the fellow in the audience said "So we're both right." Kokesh laughed it off and then proceeded to say "I'm jewish where it counts." 

It was all rather awkward.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I would imagine so. Do people in the audience who yell at somebody giving a speech really expect others to take them seriously? It's just annoying.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

Kokesh laughed it off and then proceeded to say "I'm jewish where it counts."

He said "I'm Jewish, and I don't have any of the good toys...and more importantly I'm Jewish where it counts, ok?".  So I guess he is indeed Jewish.

Also, I find the shouts and cheers of the crowd really annoying.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I really find the whole "Jews control everything" argument to be really annoying. Funny how the people saying that don't realize that Rothbard and Mises were Jewish.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

Pfft it doesn't mean that all Jews control everything, but only an elite subset, Mr. Strawman.   And 'everything' is obviously hyperbole.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Mr. Strawman?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

So I exaggerated. It's not necessarily misrepresenting the argument of the conspiracy theorists.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

It's not necessarily misrepresenting the argument of the conspiracy theorists.

Yes it is, since it implies that the fact that Mises and Rothbard were Jews somehow contradicts their argument.  It doesn't do that at all.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Ha, looked back at my post. You're right. I should probably start re-reading what I write on here.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

Pfft it doesn't mean that all Jews control everything, but only an elite subset, Mr. Strawman.   And 'everything' is obviously hyperbole.

Uhh.. I don't think it's fair to call someone "Mr. Strawman"  for taking an argument literally. Why don't  those who propose this argument state it more clearly? Hyperbole adds nothing to the point, besides to protentially confuse it. To blame someone for being misled by hyperbole (in the context of trying to understand an argument) is ass-backwards.

Edit: Unless you mean to say that he's misrepresenting what arguments are actually being stated. It wasn't clear from your post whether you were trying to say that, or whether you were blaming him for misunderstanding an argument that is stated incorrectly.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

Yes, he misrepresented it.  And I think it's pretty obvious that it shouldn't be taken literally: when people say "the Germans started WWII" or "the Americans have signed a new trade agreement with the Chinese" they don't mean that all Germans or Americans/Chinese are respectively involved in those acts.

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 405
David K. replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 7:51 PM

Wheylous, I would be very interested in what Tom Woods told you about children's rights.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,830
Groucho replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 7:56 PM

Justin Zelinsky:

During his speech, Kokesh was alluding to that the government controlled everything and some guy in the audience kept screaming "It's the jews!" Once Kokesh explicetly said the government, the fellow in the audience said "So we're both right." Kokesh laughed it off and then proceeded to say "I'm jewish where it counts." 

It was all rather awkward.

In the game of "dirty politics", it wouldn't surprise me if the noisemaker was only there so that any news coverage could characterize the "type of people" there according to proper narrative. Although I'm sure he was disappointed that he could not get "support" from others there (that might have earned him a bonus).

But I suppose he could be a legitimately confused man that became focused on incidentals rather than particulars.

Either way, I hate hecklers.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Like I said before, I don't know why hecklers expect others to take them seriously.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,830
Groucho replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 8:02 PM

Nah, I'm sure that's Norman Fell standing with Wheylous. Not sure if he worked at Chipotle though...

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,830
Groucho replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 8:11 PM

Norman Fell pic for reference:

Norman FellNorman Fell 2

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,745
Wheylous replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 8:17 PM

To clarify - I'm not the guy with curly hair... Neither am I Gary Johnson.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,745
Wheylous replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 8:21 PM

Oh you mean GARY JOHNSON is Norman Fell! Got it. I thought you said I was :P

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Just saw Adam's speech. Can't believe he made a referance to his own drug use.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,830
Groucho replied on Tue, Oct 16 2012 1:40 AM

Wheylous:
Oh you mean GARY JOHNSON is Norman Fell!

Gary Johnson? Is that what ol' Norm is calling himself these days? What a character!  XD

Previous | Next
Page 1 of 2 (47 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS