Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

19th Century Articles

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Male
12 Posts
Points 180
Justin Zelinsky posted on Tue, Oct 16 2012 1:45 AM

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone here could point me in the direction of some readings or lectures on economic conditions in the 19th century in the USA. I've already listened to a bunch of lectures by Tom Woods, but I'd like more specifics regarding how much regulation there was, how much government intervention there was, et cetera.

Any help would be super awesome!

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,288 Posts
Points 22,350
Suggested by Jargon

Here's a short reading list:

Hughes, American Economic History

Higgs, The Transformation of the American Economy 1865-1914

Kolko, The Triumph of Conservatism

Kolko, Railroads and Regulation

Fulsom, The Myth of the Robber barons

William Appleman Williams, Contours of American History

Olasky, Tragedy of American Compassion

Weinstein, The Corporate Ideal in the Liberal State

And you might want to listen to this lecture series by Rothbard:

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
12 Posts
Points 180

Fantastic! Thanks for taking the time to compile this list.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
256 Posts
Points 5,630

Not Ranked
49 Posts
Points 675
As the debt of member States stood at the end of 1839---

$52,640,000 for banking !!! | $60,201,551; $42,871,084; $6,618,958; $8,474,684; $170,806,177 --this is more than what the war of 1812 cost

The white population of Arkansas in those days was 97,000, yet the government issued bonds ~$30 per person, gave them to private banks to bank on, and issue bank notes.... (they could have just handed $30-worth of bonds to every man woman and child, and let them use bonds as currency; if providing currency was the excuse for the excercise.....)
Indiana had 980,000 people living in it, and borrowed ~$12million; in 1841 N.M. Rothschild & Sons wrote to the President of the United States to please expedite a payment of $3.6million on behalf of Indiana and other prodigal States in their arrears
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS