Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Films involving anarchy?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 33 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
257 Posts
Points 5,000
QuisCustodiet posted on Wed, Oct 17 2012 8:32 AM

I know quite a few novels have been written, but does anyone know of any films involving the subject?

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
1,711 Posts
Points 29,285

V for Vendetta I guess, even though it's based on a graphic novel. Graphic novel had infinately more anarchist themes, though. For the film, they toned those themes down because, well, it is Hollywood we're talking about here...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
257 Posts
Points 5,000

One day libertarianism will be fashionable in Hollywood. Chip away.

Top 500 Contributor
203 Posts
Points 5,505
TronCat replied on Wed, Oct 17 2012 11:19 AM

A lot of films tend have Libertarian 'themes', even if they're not explicitly advocating for it.

For example, The Dark Knight Rises ends with a clear message of personal responsibility, and state-dissension, but it's not directly spelling out the Libertarian guide for the audience. 

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Oct 17 2012 11:56 AM

"The Dark Knight Rises ends with a clear message of personal responsibility, and state-dissension, but it's not directly spelling out the Libertarian guide for the audience."

At the same time, however, it makes it pretty clear that if people are left to their own devices there will be chaos.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
1,711 Posts
Points 29,285

The classic Star Wars trilogy is pretty libertarian. You know, anti-imperialist rebellion, restoring the republic, getting rid of the weapon of mass destruction that the state has a hold of.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
203 Posts
Points 5,505
TronCat replied on Wed, Oct 17 2012 12:25 PM

At the same time, however, it makes it pretty clear that if people are left to their own devices there will be chaos.

Where was this stated in the series? 

Top 50 Contributor
1,711 Posts
Points 29,285

I'm not a fan of Alex Jones, but he does make a point here...

Top 500 Contributor
203 Posts
Points 5,505
TronCat replied on Wed, Oct 17 2012 12:40 PM

Are you seriously using Alex Jones' simpleton understanding of the themes of the films (which he probably hasn't even seen) to assume some sort of 'agenda'? 

I've seen that video, and it's complete nonsense. 

The entire trilogy makes out the politics in Gotham to be incredibly corrupt, and the final statement in the last film is "You were right, about the structures becoming shackles." 

The film questions the validity of the system itself, and the last image has John Blake quit working for the state and pursue his individual and personal responsibility, as he *RISES* (get it?). 

Top 50 Contributor
1,711 Posts
Points 29,285

Top 500 Contributor
203 Posts
Points 5,505
TronCat replied on Wed, Oct 17 2012 12:58 PM

During the boat sequence in The Dark Knight, the Joker is relishing in the moment, as the passengers on each boat have the choice of whether or not they will succumb to his wishes of chaos and blow up the other boat. It turns out that they don't, and this puzzles the Joker. Batman then responds "What were you trying to prove? That deep down, everyone's as ugly as you? You're alone!

Top 500 Contributor
257 Posts
Points 5,000
Suggested by QuisCustodiet

Are there any films that specifically criticize the state's existence or state interventionism that you know of?

Top 50 Contributor
1,711 Posts
Points 29,285

Well I don't know of any films that just come out and say "the state sucks" or anything like that.

However, I cannot recommend Samurai Champloo enough. It does have an underlying libertarian theme.

Top 500 Contributor
203 Posts
Points 5,505

Are there any films that specifically criticize the state's existence or state interventionism that you know of?

Happy Feet. 

Top 50 Contributor
1,711 Posts
Points 29,285

Nice.

Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS