Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Up with Mises Forums!

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho Posted: Sat, Oct 20 2012 11:39 PM

Let's keep the momentum going here fellow free-marketers! We all want a fully-functional, easy-to-use forum, right? Well let's do it by showing LvMI how much support they could count on to help make it happen!

What sort of support will you pledge to help the Mises.org forum move forward with an upgrade to vBulletin or PHP/UBB software?

(now I had intended to put a poll in here, but... surprise surprise... there seems to be no way to do it! And what's this? My paragraph spacing seems to go from double to single... time for extra line-breaks again!) Um, so anyway...

1. Pledge an extra monetary donation of $10 or more toward the costs

2. Volunteer support with the technical aspects of vBulletin/PHP/UBB installation and design

3. Volunteer ongoing technical support as an administrator

4. Offer advice and guidance regarding purhcase options

5. Other (please specify)

Hey, my paragraph spacing went back to double! K00L. Please reply with what you can do to help get this very worthwhile project off the ground and moving. The only thing I think we should completely rule out is upgrading to a later version of Telligent, so don't go there unless you're trolling.

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 11:44 PM

As for me, I pledge to make a minimum donation of $10 once a software package is decided on. I'd offer more, but money is extraordinarily tight at the moment.

I'd also be happy to offer non-technical suggestions on forum category design.

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 11:47 PM
I will donate money.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 391
Points 6,975

I will match your ten dollar donation minimum.

I also offer a photograph of Jeff Tucker using shaving cream. 

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 8:51 AM

I'll take a $10 donation to upgrade my software.

Also, I don't know if this was ever answered or brought up, but when we get a new forum I assume it's going to be completely fresh, and we will no longer have our hundred to thousand post counts under our name, which disappoints me.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 9:11 AM

When I made a donation a couple years ago I fully specified to make it go towards a better forum. Little did I now I was contributing towards the new community... blush

This time I am donating only after I know what it will be spent on. I leave the decision for the forum platform to the mre tech-savvy.

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 12:14 PM

What if I make a new forum software that is awesome? :D

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 12:44 PM

I'd sign up for it! Are you thinking about myBB software?

And I've done a little research on forum software - it might be an even bigger project that I suspected for the Mises forum. It seems that "Telligent" uses ASP instead of PHP programming (ASP-based forums are pretty much extinct nowadays) and it's apparently quite a chore to transform one to the other. They might need different servers and everything!

Sometimes the free market is cruelly ironic.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Wheylous:

What if I make a new forum software that is awesome? :D

RoR?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 1:55 PM

Eh?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Would you utilize Ruby on Rails to make the new forum software?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 2:01 PM

I'm stuck between Rate of Return and Ruby on Rails.

Probably something totally different though.

EDIT: Hahahaha guessed it!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 2:03 PM

Php, unfortunately :P

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS