Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Question about Publishing from an aspiring author...

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 1
Points 20
Andy Hollums Posted: Sun, Oct 21 2012 12:20 PM

I am working on a children's novel which I intend to self-publish under a creative comons - attribution only license. Thanks to Jeff Tucker and Stephan Kinsella, I'm no believer in intellectual property rights. I was wondering if anyone in the mises.org community has any first- or second-hand experience with publishing fiction under CC and was willing to maybe offer some advice. Specifically, I'm concerned about finding an illustrator and designer and didn't know what issues I might face regarding copyrights with their artwork. Does anyone know of any online listings of artists who share similar views concerning IP?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 444
Points 6,230

Andy Hollums:
Specifically, I'm concerned about finding an illustrator and designer and didn't know what issues I might face regarding copyrights with their artwork. Does anyone know of any online listings of artists who share similar views concerning IP?

To my knowledge, if you are paying the illustrator/designer for their work, you should be able to own the images under the "Work For Hire" principle, although I would make sure to ask/specify this BEFORE getting any works done.

I would recommend doing more research on MobileRead (a great Ebook forum).  Here is a link to the Writer's Corner, where lots of people ask self-publishing questions:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75

Now will this children's book be just text/images, or will it be some sort of animated/audio book?

Text/Images are easy as pie to put together, while animated/audio books would need more expertise to create, and would probably need a dedicated "app" made by a company which specializes in these things.  I can't think of any companies off the top of my head that do this, but you would most likely be able to find all your information on MobileRead.

My long term project to get every PDF into EPUB: Mises Books

EPUB requests/News: (Semi-)Official Mises.org EPUB Release Topic

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS