Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Is "Risk Preference" a Praxeological Truth?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Male
390 Posts
Points 7,705
Prashanth Perumal posted on Thu, Oct 25 2012 4:13 PM

I am just wondering if there could be something called "risk preference" similar to the Austrian concept of "time preference"? By risk preference I mean that acting men, all other things being equal, would prefer ends that entail lower risk to ends that entail higher risk.

Could this be a self-evident axiom by any chance? Any Austrian writing on this issue?

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650

This is necessarily true, and I actually don't think that there's been much writing on it per se, although it's necessarily implied in most Austrian work on interest and entrepreneurship.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
390 Posts
Points 7,705

Is risk preference implied in the concept of time preference itself?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650

No, it has nothing to do with time preference but rather it is necessarily implied in the fact of praxeology; that men act to fulfill their own values. Because man seeks to reach his goal, and not to fail, he will always choose the most surefire way of achieving his values, all other things equal.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,687 Posts
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 1:08 PM

I would say Yes to risk preference being a self evident axiom.  And there are writings on the topic of risk in entrepreneurship.  The issue is that risk is an enormously broad topic.  But Rothbard writes about risk and there is some really good data from Robert Higgs on political risk and how that affects not just the micro, but the macro economy as well.

I think the reason why there is not a lot of data on this is that the risk of failure in entrepreneurial activities does not bring about the Business Cycle.  Understand that artificially increasing the risk of failure through force does create Economic Calculation Problems.  The interest rate on the other hand directly affects the Business Cycle in addition to creating Economic Calculation Problems.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS