Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Statistics on private security companies

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 151
Points 2,705
fountainhead Posted: Thu, Oct 25 2012 6:49 PM

So a few of us here at work got to talking about private security companies and the supposed unique dangers of using them. I replied with my usual sarcastic retort, "Yeah...because national troops NEVER commit atrocities, right?" Nevertheless, it seems to be the accepted view that these PSCs are more likely to be aggressive than government troops. But it got me thinking, has anyone actually kept statistics on this? Such as, how many atrocities per soldier typically occur for both? Maybe it's too early in the game to have numbers. But I figured I'd ask you guys if you know of any since I'm sure you run into this argument a lot when debating. I'd be curious to know. Thanks in advance!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 7:03 PM

Are we counting the drug war here?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 7:54 PM
Yah I'm sure a guy whose career is based on a series of contracts and word-of-mouth reputation, in a field where the highest paid jobs with the best perks are in executive protection, is going to be more likely to be aggressive than a bunch of pissed off semi-conscript tattooed meatheads on testosterone boosters and rob zombie piped in their ears. maybe aggressive against a paparazzi or autograph hound, heh.

like, I dont have statistics for you, but I can demonstrate moral hazard. Moral hazard occurs whenever a party is shielded from the necessary negative effects of his (mis)action. When agents of the state abuse their powers, the only punitive action must come from the state itself. Tax receipts are not affected, or when they are, taxes are adjusted. When agents of an open-market firm abuse their powers or abilities, the brand and reputation suffers. This leads to a decrease gross income.

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 151
Points 2,705

@Malachi

Yes, this is kind of what I was getting at. It's not like there aren't consequences for the PSC if their troops get out of hand. They have a reputation to uphold. Somehow people got it into their head that "mercenaries," as they're branded, are more violent than government troops. Maybe they are, I don't know. But has anyone actually proved it? To me it just sounds like speculation and hearsay. I'm not saying they don't commit crimes. They're human. But so are government troops.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 4:12 AM

here are some statistics

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/bjs/grants/232781.pdf

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 151
Points 2,705

That looks interesting. Thanks!