Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

"A priori quiz"

This post has 43 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 666
Points 13,120

Yes, and I think if we include the first state in evaluating the exchange then we have to change the first example (voluntary exchange) to not true a priori. I only considered the first example true a priori because I was only considering each person's actions vis-a-vis themselves and not how they affect the other person.

For example, I might not like people coming up to me on the street and trying to sell me things or asking me to donate money. However, if someone does come up to me and I decide to give them money, then I have done so voluntarily. But since I didn't want them to come up to me in the first place, I didn't "profit" from the exchange. The same could be said of products I buy due to advertising that I never wanted to see or products I buy which I thought should never have been produced in the first place.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 11:27 AM
You dont have the option to avoid being accosted by merchants, as you were already outside, having chosen to brave the risk of agora. You only have the option to trade or refuse to trade.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 666
Points 13,120

Exactly, just like you don't have the option to avoid being accosted by men with guns when being robbed.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 4:43 PM
I'm glad you affirm the validity of analytic reasoning.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS