Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** November 2012 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 427 Replies | 17 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Yes, and I also need the government to tell me what to eat through some sort of stupid pyramid (which turns out to be the exact opposite).

Oh wait, they did away with that. I guess the state got too many kids fat so they finally decided that maybe their government brilliance went too far.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 5:37 PM
They replaced the pyramid with with a dinner plate that is crap too.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I would imagine so, being that anything and everything the government does is crap. Virtually all of it. Ron Paul and Machiavelli's "The Prince" first taught me all of that.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

Is there any reason why cops have panasonic toughbooks in all there cars?  (this could just be my city) But toughbooks cost around 3k a pop.  Who the hell buys a 3000 laptop?  They arent on the sunny beaches of iraq running around with their laptops in their hands!  its screwed into there damn car/suv!  why are they spending that much money on on a damn laptop when they can get a more powerful (computing power) for half the price!  

this is pissing me off not to mention the fact that every government car is see are only a couple years old (if not brand new) and most of them are 40k+ SUVs!  

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Why do you think we see so many Congressmen with BMWs? Gotta put those tax dollars to good use for the American people!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

i know.  i was just venting.  I went to a gun show today there must of been 20 brand new cop tahoes all with toughbooks parked at the enterance (not in parking spaces).  Then those fatasses were just drinking coffee in a cluster laughing and joking for hours.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I like the part in that one Seinfeld episode "The Chinese Restaurant" where Jerry says that he always sees cops around with nothing to do, so they should make them sweep the roads instead in order to make them more useful.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

You know, ive always thought that adam smith was an american founder fathers.

It turns out it was john adams.

Funny how that came out to be.

And here im like, one of the greatests economists, who started modern economics was also a founder of the united states.

Now that notion in me is gone.....

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 151
Points 2,705

@Kevin

Well, at least the founders were inspired by the likes of Smith even if he wasn't one of them, right?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 10:09 PM

According to Rothbard Smith made no positive novel contribution to economics :P

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 10:14 PM

Who is Rothbard Smith? cool

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Rothbard Smith? What the...wait...oh, I see...ah, yes, how cheeky.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 151
Points 2,705

Just want to get an anecdote off my chest from a while back that's both funny and sad. I was debating with my dad about the state of the economy and I think I mentioned how Obama is steering us towards a total economic collapse or something along those lines. My dad says, very emphatically, "But Obama has ECONOMISTS advising him!" All I could do was /facepalm over the phone. :P I wanted to scream "Well, so did Bush!" but I gave up. Anyway, you're the only guys who would get it so I wanted to share that.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 366
Points 7,345

I want to bounce off a thought...

Maybe this is better as its own thread...either way.

I keep hearing Austrians saying, "We need more study on these previous business cycle panics" (specifically, I've heard Tom Woods say this). O.k.. So, I was thinking about getting a list of panics that need more study, and starting a bunch of The Point campaigns that goes something like this: You will get all the money in this The Point campaign as an award if you get a paper published in the Quarterly Austrian Journal of Economics about Panic X (where X is on the previously mentioned list).

Call it the "Panic Preference Prize" or something :U.

Latest Projects

"Even when leftists talk about discrimination and sexism, they're damn well talking about the results of the economic system" ~Neodoxy

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

That sounds like a great idea. Sounds like something I could include on LibertyHQ cheeky

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

Despite the folksy sound, this is pretty good. Actually, it's good specifically because it sounds childish:

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

@ Neodoxy

Hurrah! It's Alucard!

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 12:39 PM

You've seen Hellsing?

I just watched all nine episodes of Hellsing Ultimate which are currently out over the past few days and I thought to myself "I gotta get a cut of this"

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I've seen snippets of it. Looks like a pretty cool anime.

I used to have a friend who was a big fan. He said, "It has everything, dude! Vampires, hot girls, graphic violence..."

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 12:51 PM

I started this anime reeaaally expecting to hate it... And I reaally loved it. It's graphic as hell but it's the first anime I've seen where every single episode is both classic and epic. It's "off the chain yo" as the youngsters say in their hip young lingo. Character development is good, good plot, awesome atmosphere, and absolutely epic moments. I'm just gonna throw this one out there as an example: Nazi Vampire Army.... AMEN!

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Ha! Recently I began watching an anime called Kurozuka...couldn't finish it. Too confusing, too brutal. Normally I'm able to handle brutal stuff in movies and anime, but this one...I don't know, I just couldn't do it.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

Following my professors lecture:

Greenspan believed in a free market.

He almost never intervened 

I [my professor] had a conversation with him about how Ayn Rand influenced his policy. I [my professor] have never read any arn rand and Greenspan told me to read atlas shrugged.

Greenspan followed a lot of the rand's philosophy.

rand was very similar to another school of economics that you might have heard about, the Austrian School of Economics

Conclusion Greenspan was pretty much an Austrian that refused to act and caused to the huge recession we are in right now.  Therefore, free markets that the austrian school want dont work and this bust is proof.

He was looking at me for most of the time.  I could tell that he read an article or something on AE since he has been unable to refute a couple of my quizzes.  i had told him a couple economist that i derive my theories from.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

Ask him about the dot-com bubble and housing bubble.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 881
Points 15,030
banned replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 9:13 PM

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

Grant - that is hilarious! Unfortunately, you might be singlehandedly responsible for a professor now misleading about 500 future economists about Mises and Rand. Fix it!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

lol i know!  i was just in shock NNOOOO!!! Greenspan ISNT AUSTRIAN! Is this bizarro world!? What the hell is going on!

i chimed in and corrected him.  I mentioned that setting fed policy to force interest rates to near 0% for years isnt a 'hands off' Austrian approach.  Its the opposite its constantly hands on manipulation of the markets.

I dont think he understands that there is a difference between free markets and setting policy and not changing it.

next lecture is going to be bernanke is Austrian!  he gave banks trillions and just let them spend it anyway they want.  hands off approach.  

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 1:30 AM

Walter Block would be proud.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:13 AM

Grant - if I were you, I'd ask for my money back. If the situation is as you describe it, then your teacher is an idiot. Not for not understanding Austrian economics, that is easily forgivable. But for not understanding Greenspan's monetary policy.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:21 AM
Grant, tell him that if keeping interest rates the same is hands-off monetary policy, then China's one-child policy is hands-off family planning.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Just got off the phone with my English teacher. She was saying to me that at the time, she was pro-Afghanistan War. I didn't come out and say my opposition to the state, being that she was talking about anarchy being "chaos," but did hint at it one point by referencing Anatomy of the State by saying "I try not to use the word 'we' when referring to the government" but then she said this crap about "we are a nation united, so yes 'we.'"

Ugh.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 1:14 PM
I wish some of these pro-afghanistan war people were a little bit more informed about afghanistan and war in general, for instance, afgh has a great nickname: the graveyard of empires. Also "we" have been fighting there for over 11 years and "we" have yet to even control the entire territory-meaning its a mistake to compare afgh to irak, or call it a coin effort. Its not coin when your enemy still has an official presence. "They" even put an ombudsman in kabul a few years back.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Yeah. I was trying so hard not to retort by saying "oh, so I guess the Jews committed suicide in the Holocaust?" Or "So you and I are the ones killing families overseas with drone strikes?"

After all, the last thing I want to do is say "patriotism is for tools" to a patriotic person who happens to be in charge of my High School transcripts.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

Patriotism is fine. Nationalism is not. Patriotrism, properly defined, is loyalty, respect, solidarity, and aid to your community of like-minded, morally-upstanding individuals. Sadly, most people don't define it this way.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Heh.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 151
Points 2,705

Quick question for the an-caps here. I've noticed that black and yellow are your colors and a quick lookup on Wikipedia says that the black generally symbolizes anarchy and the yellow symbolizes gold. At first I thought those colors came from the black and yellow flag of Austria-Hungary, because of "Austrian" Economics. :P Anyone else noticed that? I'm guessing that's just a coincidence.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

watching a documentary on the bubble.

They interview a mexican immigrant who makes 47000 a year with a wife and 3 kids.  He bought a 600,000$ home.  wtf?!  haha unreal.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

At first I thought those colors came from the black and yellow flag of Austria-Hungary, because of "Austrian" Economics. :P Anyone else noticed that? I'm guessing that's just a coincidence.

Black and yellow was the flaf of the Austrian Empire without Hungary, but interesting coincidence!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 10:24 PM

3rd party debate (ok, a little late!):

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490