Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** November 2012 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 427 Replies | 17 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 151
Points 2,705

@SkepticalMetal

Yeah, I dunno what Adam was thinking with that one. Running out of material, maybe? I mean, I gather that "Adam" has largely become a "character" when he does his show and it seems like a lot of the time he's being overly rebellious and cynical just for comedic effect. But it didn't make me laugh either, so it just seemed weird to make fun of a man that libertarians of all stripes have admired and supported all these years, on his farewell speech no less.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Yeah, I think Kokesh needs to remember the main reason why he's a part of the liberty movement...after all, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Ron Paul. Same for me.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 3:08 PM

Police: Deputy Shoots At Disabled Man Waving Gun Made Of Legos

“Because of his mental capacity, my guess is he will not be charged with anything.” Akers told the paper. “Obviously it could have been a lot worse but fortunately he wasn’t hurt.”

Well, I guess that makes it okay for the police to shoot him, so long as they don't charge him. Some of the comments were funny:

It's an understandable mistake. There are so many multi-colored firearms on the market that are oddly geometric in shape. . . . The really dangerous ones are those guns that look like someone's thumb and forefinger like all those kindergarteners pack.

Yes this happens all the time. And sometimes people eating an apple look like they are ready to throw a hand grenade.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 3:13 PM

Israeli cabinet approves 75,000 reservists to be called up for active duty. Is this the beginning of the end?

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

"Is this the beginning of the end?"

No, it's the end of the beginning.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 3:16 PM

Wow, Adam is proving all of those who accuse voluntarists of being like a religious cult completely correct.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

How is that?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

I never liked Adam Kokesh too much but I'm unsubscribing from him for this. He's just annoying.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 4:16 PM

Yeah, I think we need to put Adam out on his ass from the liberty community. His contribution was of dubious value to begin with (what, exactly, is his "message" or "big idea"? Smoke weed? Is that all he's got?).

He somehow weaseled his way into LibertyFest but I don't think he should be welcomed back next year. Dr. Paul has proved himself as an unwaveringly principled leader in the liberty movement. Who the fuck is Adam Kokesh?

Based on his sometimes bizarre connections, I honestly wonder if he isn't managed opposition. You think the Pentagram couldn't foresee that they were going to be creating a cadre of disaffected veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan who would form a demographic of uncompromisingly anti-government and anti-war individuals, even more dangerous by virtue of their hallowed status as "veterans"? And for someone supposedly suffering from extreme PTSD, he's amazingly fit and well put-together.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I thought it was pretty disrespectful how he responded to Ron Paul's Farewell Address like that. Paul has got more great stuff on his record than any other libertarian, a practically perfect Congressional record for libertarianism infiltrating D.C, the moving of the liberty movement to the mainstream, and the explosion of people such as myself who have been converted from sheeple content watching CBS Evening News and happily going about my business while the U.S. starts another war every two weeks to a person who cares and realizes that politics is what will be the end of our liberties and...us, if we don't do something to fight it.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 4:39 PM

I do question his tactics, although we should also consider the possibility that he's just milking his affiliation with RT for what it's worth. Remember that Jeff Tucker has also been on RT:

And others.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

To be honest, I think he's just an attention whore. I've known people like him in real life before--of course, they weren't in the liberty movement--but it always seems that they're more interested in as establishing their image as the rebelious, "badass" type than actually being constructive.

He likes to poke the bear just so that other people will say "wow, that guy's poking a bear, how about that". Plus, metal music is for hyperaggressive douches.. (had to throw that one in there)

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

Haha, I saw someone just paraphrased my last post on his Youtube video link. Awesome!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

@ Wheylous

Don't forget about Lew Rockwell, who has appeared on RT several times as well.

I think Adam has done good things before for the movement, and he used to have a very good demeanor to his videos, but I honestly don't know what to think of him now. Really the only thing that seemed suspicious about the Paul family revolved entirely around Rand.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570

Regarding Adam Kokesh, I think it's also worth noting that during the 2012 campaign, he was effectively blacklisted by the official campaign, and I think some of that is sour grapes.  He has seemed increasingly...odd over the last couple years.  I think he may just overestimate his importance.  His on-screen persona has always been a little over the top, and I think he's just trying too hard with that one.  For lack of a better term, he needs to be knocked down a peg and be a bit more tactful.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 6:07 PM

Yeah, this hit piece was incredibly petty and small. I'm becoming more convinced of my managed-dissent theory.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

@ Willy Truth

...YOU'RE KYLIO 27!

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 7:49 PM

Adam just mad that Ben Swann styling on his ass

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

anybody watch this "Jungle Gold" tv show?  its pretty cool im watching my first episode of it.  They are at a mine location in ghana and these chinese miners break onto their lot with guns and using their tractor to knock over trees to cover their dig.  The chinese are ruthless!  they will kill people to mine a site....feels like someone in china REALLY wants gold

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 208
Points 3,410

John Flannery: "We need abortion because the U.S. is overpopulated and they're a drain on limited resources..." 

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

@SkepticalMetal

Haha, nope. I was ProfessorCocktopus on YouTube but that damn Google destroyed it

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 9:12 AM

Long ass movies of the now:

Cloud Atlas - Saw it, flowed a lot better than I thought it would considering a lot of criticism I've heard towards it.  I had no problem understanding it (apparently some people did).  Nearly 3 hours long, but I will say it's worth it.  There are some parts that seem rather...rebellious in nature (not exactly in some anti-state kind of way, but in general).

Lincoln - Another 3 hour long movie.  This is even more off putting because I don't want to watch 3 hours of Lincoln, especially since of course it'll be pro-Lincoln in some light (not saying he's the best, but he had to do what he had to do type of thing).

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

I was really looking forward to seeing Cloud Atlas but too many people turned me away from it. And, of course, everyone is super excited about Lincoln, which I have no interest in seeing beyond Daniel-Day Lewis' usual Oscar worthy performance.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

He just did a response to the criticism:

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 12:18 PM
Can someone summarize? I really dont feel like its worth the bandwidth. So far all I've gotten from this turd is that Ron Paul is "cranky and senile" and if you take issue with that characterization you are "butthurt" and he would rather not have you email him. While I cant help but assume that the arguments will not get much better from here, I am nagged by doubt but unwilling to wait for this idiot to get around to telling me what he thinks, squeezed in somewhere after the self-promotion. Why is it that people who produce free media are obsessed with blasting you with how awesome they are in the beginning of almost every video?
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 12:43 PM

@Bert

I agree, cloud Atlas was quite good. I've been vaguely thinking of starting a thread on it. The fact that so many totally different stories were interconnected without making being extremely confusing, and indeed being quite coherent, makes Cloud Atlas a remarkable achievement by that tolken alone.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 151
Points 2,705

@Malachi

I watched the video and from what I can gather, Adam's first trying to point out how we shouldn't be engaging in hero worship, which is fine, but somehow I still don't feel taking cheap shots at a decent guy like Ron Paul on his farewell speech was the best way to make that point. Second, Adam mentioned how something has 'changed' about Ron Paul lately. He didn't say what, but that he'll state his theory in an upcoming video.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 12:56 PM

Wait, ADAM is saying we should be attached to characters?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 12:56 PM
Thanks for the summary. Ron Paul's farewell address was masterful, perhaps an embodiment of the polar opposite of senility. No one should hero worshipping him but it would be a good thing if people listened when he spoke, and addressed the content of his speech, even if they were critical.
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 1:02 PM

*POTENTIAL SPOILER*

Apparently the writer of the book felt it wouldn't do good as a movie, that there's too much going on.  I think to people like ourselves (those who can see how webs of relationships connect, i.e. praxeology, market process, individual action, etc.) the movie will make complete sense.  It's not hard to see the archetypes of various characters appear in every story with a minor and major "kick" that influencs the next one (for example in San Fran in 1973, Luisa Rey listens to the Cloud Atlas Sextet would be the "minor", while meeting Sixsmith being the "major") as well as the birthmark the core protagonists have.

I will say at the moment I can't find the connection between 1973 and 2012 (unless it has to do with Sixsmith's letters).  1849, 1936, and 1973 all connect, as well as 2012, 2144, and 2321.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I watched Almost Famous last night again which takes place in 1973. I'm also applying to be an intern for a rock magazine. Connection!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 2:06 PM

The real costs of war:

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 2:11 PM
Wheylous thats brutal

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 2:11 PM

@Bert

The 2012 story line was the one with the old man right? I think the connection there was the weakest of the lot. It was the most disconnected and the least relevant to the story as a whole, it's only ultimate connection was simply to provide the clip that was eventually in the 2144. I agree that I didn't see how any of the other timelines affected that one unless there was some blood connection between the 1936 timeline or nuclear power was alluded to.

Also I'm dismayed, looking at some of the reviews, that many perceived the film's story as indeed being "confusing" when I thought that the story was indeed very clear. I agree that a praxeological and systematic understanding of human behavior helps us to understand things like that better. I also think that people around here might just be a little *ahem* more gifted in respect to certain intellectual capabilities, when compared to many of the people who went to see the movie.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

@ Wheylous

Wow. That hit me hard.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

The great product of the hard work of the glorious Federal Reserve:

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 6:03 PM

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or the Conspiracy thread. Either way, I lol'd at this Tweet:

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

This person is obviously getting that from Family Guy.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 10:36 PM

Yeah, I think Kokesh needs to remember the main reason why he's a part of the liberty movement...after all, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Ron Paul. Same for me.

A Critique of: 'If It wasn't for Ron Paul I wouldn't have been a libertarian'

Page 6 of 11 (428 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS