Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** November 2012 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 427 Replies | 17 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Nov 23 2012 10:58 PM

Annnnnnnnnnnd the award goes to Groucho for funniest post of the month... great poise!

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

You better move away, they're going to build an office building where you're standing!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Fri, Nov 23 2012 11:08 PM

For the where are they now file:

Monica Lewinsky - single, living with her mother and still struggling with her weight - but 'set to make $12m with a tell-all book about her affair with Clinton'

"The book will also reportedly detail how he laughed about his non-existent sex life with Hillary - and said he thought he was not the only one looking for love outside their marriage.

Monica can describe how Bill went on and on about his insatiable desire for three-way sex, orgies and the use of sex toys of all kinds,' the friend added to the Enquirer."

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

So we know Bill didn't inhale...but did she? THAT is the question, my friends.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Nov 23 2012 11:16 PM

I wish her the best. She got put in the meat-grinder at a young age... she had no idea what she was getting herself into (come on, get your mind out of the gutter! God!) Her encounters with Bill have doubtless been an albatross around her neck all these years and hopefully this book deal works out and she's compensated for her hardships (sigh... dirty minds!)

Clayton -

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Fri, Nov 23 2012 11:34 PM

It was hard on her, but she went with the flow.

Still, I wouldn't wish that media feeding frenzy on anyone.

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 69
Points 1,600

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOLOLrUBRBY&feature=share

Quite an inspiring video, I actually ended up donating $25 to the charity mentioned at the end.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

http://www.economist.com/blogs/schumpeter/2012/11/additive-manufacturing?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/bl/printajetengine

Some people think additive manufacturing will overturn many of the economics of production because it pays no heed to unit labour costs or traditional economies of scale.

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 391
Points 6,975

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/9339865/Gitta-Sereny.html

Gitta Sereny died earlier this Summer. She was the step-daughter of Ludwig von Mises. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Corporatism in a nutshell

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 9:38 PM

@SkepticalMetal

That was hilarious. I actually just finished season 1 of twkuk last week. I think I'll have to press on.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Here's another one:

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 11:55 PM

A very useful form:

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 151
Points 2,705

Here comes Mr. All-You-Can-Tax Buffett again. :)

A Minimum Tax for the Wealthy

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Mon, Nov 26 2012 10:01 PM

First day of Intermediate Macro:

New Classical =/ Neo-Classical.

New Keynesian =/ Neo-Keynesian

I got told.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 11:06 AM

Wikipedia appears to agree, although it doesn't bother to explain the difference.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 12:41 PM

gotlucky:

Damn you, I was just about to post this! :P Classic.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 1:56 PM

@Wheylous

New Classical economics is a macroeconomic application of neo-classical economics and, from what I can tell, it seems to expose some of the ridiculous aspects of Neo-classicalism itself. No f***ing clue what the difference between neo and new Keynesianism is. Wikipedia just seems to make new out to be a defense of the sticky price assumptions of neo.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

So Neodoxy, did you read it yet?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 2:17 PM

@Anenome

I couldn't believe that apparently they fell for something from The Onion before. Fooled twice, shame on them!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 4:14 PM

Voting is a sham, mathematically

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 4:37 PM

((***Edit: apparently commenters are calling it a misleading article in the way it characterizes the government's requirement, and suggests this one instead.))

This is just disgusting. Prepare to be angry reading this piece:

Raisin farmers are required to give 47% of their crop to the federal government, for free.

Tis the season to give thanks. And for the last 80 years, the federal government has required raisin producers to “give thanks” for the privilege of selling their raisins nationally by requiring them to fork over up to half of their raisins – for free. A lawsuit raising a constitutional challenge to the program has now made its way to the U.S. Supreme Court. The case is Horne v. Department of Agriculture.

The program, operated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, has a rather Orwellian-sounding name – the “Raisin Marketing Order.” In a nutshell, under this program, every year, as a condition for “letting” farmers sell their raisin crops in interstate commerce, the federal government has taken up to 47% of the farmers’ raisins – often for no payment at all, or below the cost of producing the raisins. The program has its origins in Great Depression efforts to fix the prices of agricultural crops. Don’t care much for raisins? Similar programs cover a variety of other agricultural products, such as walnuts, almonds, prunes, tart cherries – and cranberries!
...A district court judge ruled that the Constitution’s prohibition against unjust takings of private property didn’t apply to the Hornes, essentially agreeing with the government that the raisins rightly belonged to the government because the farmers “voluntarily chose to send their raisins into the stream of interstate commerce.” Sheesh; sounds like the federal government follows the old adage, “what’s mine is mine, and what’s yours is mine, too.”
When the Hornes appealed their case and it finally reached the full Ninth Circuit, the court told the Hornes that they couldn’t even raise their Takings Clause defense in that court. The Ninth Circuit told the farmers they had to pay the penalties

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 4:48 PM

Finally.

Supreme Court rules cops can be filmed

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 5:39 PM

A surprisingly magnificent talk on entrepreneurship and third world development

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 7:57 PM

Clayton -

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 70
gatchaman replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 1:07 PM

Has there been any First Amendment challenges of prohibitions against recording at international borders or in courtrooms?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 2:07 PM

I highly recommend this lecturer to the attention of anyone on the forums who is interested in, but perhaps intimidated or turned-off by, mathematics. In particular, he is extremely lucid, eschews obfuscation, and presents mathematics nearly from an "action-oriented" perspective... why did people initially concern themselves with these abstract problems, how do they matter to human thought both in the particulars of numerical problem-solving and in the broadest sense of knowledge? Most importantly, how does mathematics "fit" with "ordinary" (physical, metaphysical) reasoning?

Norman Wildberger Math History

Clayton -

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 2:08 PM

Tax activist Grover Norquist hits Obama over his Keynesianism as economic fantasies:

“Obama has put his ridiculous left-wing fantasy theories of Keynesianism above the lives of 11 million families in this country.”

President Obama’s tax theories, Norquist stated, have been an “extremely bad thing,” and that taxation as a whole is having a fundamentally negative impact on Americans.

“There’s no reason to raise taxes, taxes should be lower,” Norquist told host Steve Inskeep. “The problem we have is that government spends too much — not that taxes are too low.”

“Obama has a theory and his theory is wrong – that if government takes people’s money and spends it you magically have twice as much money.”

Love that last bit, economic multiplier :P

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 9:57 PM

I love this!

http://www.fee.org/the_freeman/detail/the-improbable-prose-of-nassim-nicholas-taleb/

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 9:56 AM

I'll put this here from The Skeptical Libertarian post:

Next in our continuing series of "There, I Said It":

There is nothing wrong with fractional reserve banking, as such.

View the comments.  I'm beginning to suspect The Skeptical Libertarian of being skeptical or libertarian, they are die hard atheists with die hard hard on for Big Pharma.  Could be Objectivists in hiding.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 10:00 AM

Now that it comes to mind, is it possible tto write a piece on these guys without enacting a flame war between them and V.R.?  I sort of think a critique could be due on these guys and where they came from (sort of out of nowhere, but I think some other members on here said one of the guys frequented the Ron Paul forums).

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 12:04 AM

Congratulations Jeremiah Dyke!

Clayton -

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 2:25 AM

What the eff???

Geithner suggested $1.6 trillion in tax increases

Doesn't the US already spend $4 trillion a year ($2.5t taxes + $1.4t borrowing)?

With a GDP of $15t, the gove is spending more than 25% of every dollar earned in the country. They want to raise that to $5.6t? over 30% of each dollar?

And the only thing standing in their way are republicans?

***edit: over 10 years. Oh. why do they always say 'over 10 years' when figuring these things :\

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570
  • ***edit: over 10 years. Oh. why do they always say 'over 10 years' when figuring these things :\

Quite simple:  It's basically a trick to have headlines that read like they're actually making any kind of significant progress.  Everyone knows we're running $1-1.5 trillion deficits, so if they came out and said "we propose raising tax revenue by $0.1 trillion per year, still leaving us with a deficit of $1.3 trillion instead of 1.4" everyone would know immediately that the system is fucked.

Page 9 of 11 (428 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > | RSS