Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Britain: No More Additional Benefits If You Have Over 2 Children

rated by 0 users
This post has 141 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

Because it would be better to have people building homes.

But at least both would lower the unemployment rate, and thus end poverty, right?

Why don't you just admit what you said was wrong? It's okay to be wrong once in a while.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

No, actually the point behind that was to show much of a complete dumbass you are.

So the point was not to answer the question then. As I thought.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

Your questions were rhetorical. Come on, you're not fooling anyone with this.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580

"This one actually made me chuckle."

I betcha it'd be really f****** good too.  We two people hate each other that much...and one of them is female....to be able to take all that anger out on each other, in a sexually physically way....that's be one of the best lays of your life.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

Why don't you just admit what you said was wrong? It's okay to be wrong once in a while.

Of course both would lower unemployment, and of course building homes would be a better way to do so. So what should I admit I was 'wrong' about exactly?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

limitgov:
I betcha it'd be really f****** good too.  We two people hate each other that much...and one of them is female....to be able to take all that anger out on each other, in a sexually physically way....that's be one of the best lays of your life.

For whatever it's worth, my respect for you is steadily decreasing with every post of this sort. I find your puerile attempts to change the subject to be worthy of nothing but contempt.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

Your questions were rhetorical. Come on, you're not fooling anyone with this.

No. They were not rhetorical questions. I want to know what alternative you suggest that guarantees a safety net.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

I don't believe you. And nothing is ever guaranteed - not even by the government.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

For whatever it's worth, my respect for you is steadily decreasing with every post of this sort. I find your puerile attempts to change the subject to be worthy of nothing but contempt.

Now this really did make me chuckle. Brilliant stuff. yes

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

nothing is ever guaranteed - not even by the government.

It's certainly more secure with the government though.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

Consumariat:
Now this really did make me chuckle. Brilliant stuff. yes

Do you expect me to be embarrassed now? Because I'm not.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

Consumariat:
It's certainly more secure with the government though.

Go on and prove it. I dare you.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

Do you expect me to be embarrassed now? Because I'm not.

Why would I expect you to be embarrassed? 

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

I don't know why else you would say that what I wrote really did make you chuckle. Regardless, my attitude remains completely unchanged.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

Go on and prove it. I dare you.

The historical record is my only witness. And if you're going where I think you are with this, you can tuck your 'Praxeology' back into it's holster. It's nonsese.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

Care to source this historical record? Have you even read Welfare before the Welfare State?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

Consumariat:
The historical record is my only witness.

Try again.

Consumariat:
And you can tuck your 'Praxeology' back into it's holster.

Make me.

Consumariat:
It's nonsese.

Prove it.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

Care to source this historical record? Have you even read Welfare before the Welfare State?

Will do so when I get back from the pub. Beer awaits me. Later all.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

Running away so soon? Go cry me a river. This isn't over.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

Running away so soon? Go cry me a river. This isn't over.

I love the way you actually edited that post to add in "Running away so soon?" Just to make it that itsy bit more obnoxious than it originally was.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

Consumariat:
I love the way you actually edited that post to add in "Running away so soon?" Just to make it that itsy bit more obnoxious than it originally was.

My attitude hasn't changed in the slightest as a result of this.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580

"For whatever it's worth, my respect for you is steadily decreasing with every post of this sort. I find your puerile attempts to change the subject to be worthy of nothing but contempt."

I'm sorry you feel that way, Auto.  But this thread already got ruined by the two of you.  by the way, I don't know what puerile means.

But what I say, I believe to be true.  when a man and a woman hate each other, but for some reason, are continually attracted towards each other, if and when they do merge together....its probably a very powerful thing.

and while you're trying to scold me, how old are you anyway?  to go back and forth like this....

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 4:44 PM
Not much. I donate monthly to a local children's hospice, and also to a mental health charity. But all of that is irrelevant because charity has never, and can never, provide the level of security that government can.
security for whom?
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 4,920
Prime replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 9:20 PM

Consumariat:
And in the mean time children starve.

Consumariat:
I am financially constrained.

Consumariat:
Will do so when I get back from the pub. Beer awaits me.

Consumariat, I'm not trying to troll you, but this is a perfect example of why I can't take these arguments seriously. You are literally scared of starving children, you admit you are short on finances, but find it necessary to run off to the pub? If I was strapped for finances myself, and was concerned about my neighbor's children starving, I would forego the pub and use that money to buy a meal for the kid. How much does a beer cost? How many beers do you and your fellow countrymen consume in a day? How much does it cost to feed a starving child? These might seem like silly questions, but they are not as silly as you thinking kids will starve. Perhaps a change in priorities may be necessary, but that is it.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 113
Points 1,685
RagnarD replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 9:21 PM

Redistributing wealth to the poor is the same thing as distributing poverty to those near poverty.  Imagine you distributed wealth to everyone equally, what would happen to prices if everyone in the world suddenly had equal amounts of money?

Demand for and hence the prices of desired goods, with no corresponding increase in supply  would skyrocket.  Coercive charity decreases productive incentives, when it is more production that is needed to relieve charity.  Money does not have a static value you cannot relieve poverty by just spreading it around. 

Coercive charity puts more money in the hands of governments that create the poverty to begin with assuring that poverty will not be curtailed. 

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Your not making any fucking points,
Oh and you missed my point. Again.
What do you think my point is?
Your point, caller?
I am making points, you're just blind to them.
That's the same point I tried making to him. I e

I think this thread is pointless.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

Prime:

Consumariat, I'm not trying to troll you, but this is a perfect example of why I can't take these arguments seriously. You are literally scared of starving children, you admit you are short on finances, but find it necessary to run off to the pub? If I was strapped for finances myself, and was concerned about my neighbor's children starving, I would forego the pub and use that money to buy a meal for the kid. How much does a beer cost? How many beers do you and your fellow countrymen consume in a day? How much does it cost to feed a starving child? These might seem like silly questions, but they are not as silly as you thinking kids will starve. Perhaps a change in priorities may be necessary, but that is it.

Nice catch.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 165
Points 2,745

There are people that abuse the welfare system their whole lives by having so many children they recieve benefits and never have to work. Which means there will be a exponentially increasing number of poor people if the benefits aren't limited. So Consumariat is actually supporting poverty by insisting that the benefits still be provided so they can be abused.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

You are literally scared of starving children, you admit you are short on finances, but find it necessary to run off to the pub? If I was strapped for finances myself, and was concerned about my neighbor's children starving, I would forego the pub and use that money to buy a meal for the kid.

Children are NOT starving in this country, but that is always a possibility if the economy tanks further and we didn't have a safety net. Of course, if I was seeing hunger everywhere then it would be incumbent upon me to help out instead of spending any of my income on social activities. This is not the case however, we live in a developed country and as such can attain civilised levels of health and security for everyone if we set up systems to do so. I don't want your anarchy and neither do 99.9% of the country.

You have to understand also that it is not a completely altruistic belief that I have regarding the welfare state. The possibility of being made redundant is real, and it is not a thing that can ever be planned for unless we have a central pool into which we all pay. The social safety net is in my own interest too.

I will say one thing in your favour though. You've certainly made me think about what my priorities should be if the worst was to happen and the Tories ever get their way, in fact, even what my priorities should be right now. So thank you for that. It will be a sad day when the enlightened society my grandparent's fought for is finally dismantled.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

Redistributing wealth to the poor is the same thing as distributing poverty to those near poverty.  Imagine you distributed wealth to everyone equally, what would happen to prices if everyone in the world suddenly had equal amounts of money?

Demand for and hence the prices of desired goods, with no corresponding increase in supply  would skyrocket.

An increased demand from some means a decreased demand from others. I do not see how inflation could result from this.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

There are people that abuse the welfare system their whole lives by having so many children they recieve benefits and never have to work. Which means there will be a exponentially increasing number of poor people if the benefits aren't limited. So Consumariat is actually supporting poverty by insisting that the benefits still be provided so they can be abused.

Malthus was saying that 150 years ago. It never happened, and the birth rate has been constantly falling since then despite the introduction of the welfare state. The fact you speak of other human beings in the same way you would vermin says a lot about you Serpentis.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

security for whom?

Me, you, my family, your family. Everyone.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 117
Points 1,935
h.k. replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 7:09 AM

So then Hong Kong should be poorer than Greece with your logic.

Stop dude, nobody here cares.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

So then Hong Kong should be poorer than Greece with your logic.

You mean the Hong Kong where government hospitals outnumber private ones almost 5 to 1; where 50% of people live in government subsidised housing with rent-controls; where means-tested child benefit is granted for children up to the age of 15; where free education is provided by the state; where there is disability, sickness, unemployment, and maternity benefits?

Stop dude, nobody here cares.

Clearly plenty of people do, else noone would be replying.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

limitgov:
But what I say, I believe to be true.  when a man and a woman hate each other, but for some reason, are continually attracted towards each other, if and when they do merge together....its probably a very powerful thing.

That wasn't your point and you know it. Your point was to try to ease the tension and distract people from the dispute between Consumariat and myself. Let me know how well that's worked for you. You see, I've decided to increase the tension as a result of what you did. So clearly your efforts have failed.

limitgov:
and while you're trying to scold me, how old are you anyway?  to go back and forth like this....

I couldn't care less how "immature" you may think I'm acting. Understand?

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

Now then, Consumariat, let's try this again.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

Prime:

Great minds think alike. yes

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

Consumariat:
Children are NOT starving in this country, but that is always a possibility if the economy tanks further and we didn't have a safety net.

Oh man this is hilarious. This right here is why I linked you to the Wikipedia article on scarcity. You're laboring under this absurd delusion that somehow a "safety net" has nothing to do with the economy. Perhaps you don't even think the government period has anything to do with the economy. Either way, you're out of your mind.

Consumariat:
I don't want your anarchy and neither do 99.9% of the country.

That may be true - for the moment. But I consider it irrelevant. Do you understand? You can keep squawking about that until the proverbial cows come home and it won't. Make. One. Difference. To. Me.

Consumariat:
You have to understand also that it is not a completely altruistic belief that I have regarding the welfare state. The possibility of being made redundant is real, and it is not a thing that can ever be planned for unless we have a central pool into which we all pay. The social safety net is in my own interest too.

Just what the hell do you mean by "be planned for"? And you accuse me of speaking cryptically! Lol...

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

Go right ahead and point out just where I said that. You really should try to keep things more straight in your head.

I inferred it from your apparent belief that charity could take up the slack if government was to withdraw. If I inferred wrongly then I take it back. Maybe you could clarify your opinion on the issue of charity as a substitute for welfare.

Really now? Are you sure about that?

Yes, I am sure. At a time when the state provided little to no assistance to the poor, poverty was rampant. When the welfare state was introduced, this poverty declined. When in the 80's Neoliberalism began it's gradual assault on the welfare state, poverty began to increase again.

So you're saying the above doesn't prove anything? Really?

It's only a proof given certain provisos such as the predicates being true. Of course, you then need to prove the predicates, which brings in the need to prove yet more auxiliary assumptions. As such, all individual claims to truth are interlinked and mutually contingent. Truth values are therefore spread over theories as a whole, not concentrated in individual statements.

See the Duhem-Quine thesis for a better explanation of what I am getting at.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

You're laboring under this absurd delusion that somehow a "safety net" has nothing to do with the economy. Perhaps you don't even think the government period has anything to do with the economy. Either way, you're out of your mind.

And you are labouring under the assumption that the economy can exist without the state. The two are inter-woven, and so government policy has the power to do both good and bad to the economy. It all depends on the policy.

That may be true - for the moment. But I consider it irrelevant. Do you understand? You can keep squawking about that until the proverbial cows come home and it won't. Make. One. Difference. To. Me.

Why do you bother debating on the internet if not to expose yourself to other people's ideas? Or would you prefer that no-one other than Austrians post here so that you can feel a little more secure in an echo-chamber?

Just what the hell do you mean by "be planned for"? And you accuse me of speaking cryptically! Lol..

What I mean is that the state can put in place procedures and systems that give you a guarantee of survival if you fall on hard times. Hense, there is a plan in the event of unforseen situations such as redundancy and illness.

Page 3 of 4 (142 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS