Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Best Way to Teach the Alphabet and Beginning Reading?

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov Posted: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:08 AM

Does anyone know any really good and effective ways to teach the alphabet and beginning reading?

Most of us are familar with flash cards, and perhaps games that use the alphabet, but are there any secret techniques that I don't know about?

If you can teach the alphabet and beginning reading (sight words?), super effective that worked 100% of the time, that pretty much replaces K-1st grade.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 128
Points 1,855
Zlatko replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 2:24 PM

I suggest comic books. The language is very simple and there are illustrations that the child can infer the meaning of the words from. I could read both the latin and cyrillic alphabet at age 5 due to Donald Duck coming out in cyrillic every other issue in former Yugoslavia.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:15 PM

Look for "BOB Books" They're pretty good from what I hear. Montessori schools use them.

I wouldn't use their website just now though - google gives a message that "This site may be compromised" for whatever (ominous) reason.

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS