Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

voting is a statement

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 871
Points 21,030
eliotn Posted: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:54 PM

I feel that I have something to contribute.  I know that there are problems with democracy, and I don't support the system.  However, on deciding to vote, I have something to point out.

Voting is a statement.  The statement, although expressed as a multiple choice question (or write-in), is done for different reasons by differen't people.  Some vote because they want to state which canidate is the lesser of two evils.  Others vote to state which canidate they enthusiastically support.  Some vote to make a statement on one issue others vote on many.  Some make their statement after much consideration.  Others just check in the box just because they don't want to feel bad for not voting.

However, abstaining to vote is also a statement.  Some abstain from voting because they figure that the possibility for affecting change is slim.  Others feel its not worth the effort.

Yet people, in order to try to make voting feel meaningful for them or others, imagine their vote as the tying one, the one that will change the course of history.  This is a really slim possibility.  The point of voting is to make a statement.  The problem is the futility of this statement in affecting change, since it is a majority takes all deal.  A free market, in contrast, allows people to make more important choices for themselves, by allowing people to trade freely and interact freely.  It provides a greater myriad of ways for people to make statements, especially in regards to themselves.  While politicians can do things that are unheard of in a free market, they must quash, by force if necessary, the statements of other people.

Schools are labour camps.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 151
Points 2,705

The way I see it, my vote will probably not change the outcome of the election and of course, none of the candidates is perfect. But the reason I want to vote is people tend to ask, "Did you vote for Obama or Romney?" Then I have their ear for a little while to tell them why I've moved beyond the mainstream media's idea of the spectrum of political and economic thought. Enough of us doing this and word will get around.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 7,590

In my opinion, it is not the act of voting that counts.  It is the act of registering to vote where one voluntary submits.  I have discussed voter registration agreements before and the elections one is required to make and affix their signature to.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 11:23 AM

If voting makes a person feel good then they should go ahead with the activity.  Understand that voting or not voting does not matter.  Either the Demoblican or the Republicrat is the going to win and I can not tell any differences between them.  So if you believe there is a difference, or that a vote for some other candidate makes a statement then go right ahead.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

This is also a statement.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 256
Points 5,630

Not voting is also a statement. You have to question who runs the system in the first place - the same illegitimate government you are legitimizing through the act of voting.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 4:32 AM

if people don't vote because the government is illegitimate, why don't they renounce citizenship and any documentation?

the government is legitimized through citzenship more than it is through voting, only a small percentage of people vote, but all the people are citizens registered with government.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 256
Points 5,630

Actually, I'm giving an opinion on why I don't vote. This is not an opinion on why others don't vote. I think many people are simply disinterested in politics. As long as things appear to be fine, many people do not bother going to the polls.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS