Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Official Sandy intervention and the black market

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff Posted: Sat, Nov 3 2012 11:07 AM

The following video prompted me to start this thread. The purpose of this thread is to post content that shows the effects of government intervention in the wake of Sandy and how the market continues to do its job.

This videos shows that although gas station owners are forbidden to raise the price for gasoline, thus, causing shortages, the black market is doing its job. The guy at 1:12 is my hero; he understands time preference when he says, "a lot of people, honestly, don't want to wait three hours."

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I am sure that this is in violation of at least 17 ordinances:

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 12:34 PM
Taze him, bro!
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 1:54 PM

And Governor Chris Christie, AKA Slim, has dispatched 45 extra public servants to police price gouging.  How crazy is that where there are people with all kinds of issues and the brilliant governor has 45 of them looking into what people are offering with their own property.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 1:59 PM
I hear they are considering emergency legislation to do away with the fact/value dichotomy.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 4,920
Prime replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 2:01 PM

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user5/imageroot/2012/10-2/25%20per%20gallon.jpg

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 2:08 PM

"I hear they are considering emergency legislation to do away with the fact/value dichotomy."

Bout f***ing time. People have been waiting for that for millennia now. So much for democracy.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Listen to him explain his surprisement:

http://gigaom.com/mobile/ipad-mini-a-first-video-look-at-apples-small-tablet/

FedEx was able to deliver iPad Minis, but the electricity and gasoline are nowhere to be found.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 4,920
Prime replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 10:53 PM

Gas rationing

"In an attempt to ease the extended wait times for gas, Christie declared a limited state of energy emergency in 12 counties, saying drivers with license plates with an odd last number could only fuel up on odd-numbered days, while only cars with even-numbered license plates could get gas on even-numbered days."

I wonder if higher prices would have done a better job than what number your license plate ends with?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/most-new-york-subway-service-resumes-2012-11-03-111034518

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 69
Points 1,600

"The State wil procecute"

Does it have a case?

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Dumbasses like christie shouldnt get elected.

I wonder how people with so little economic knowledge can even come into office in the first place....

This is basic economics...

Screw democracy.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 151
Points 2,705

Oh man, even before the storm hit, I had my anti-price gouging arguments in the holster. We all knew it would come up, didn't we?

People in lower Manhattan have been scrambling onto buses to come up to midtown and buy food and water. I could conceivably save them the trip and the wait in long lines by buying supplies from around here and selling it lower Manhattan for a profit. I think we all know how that would go down with the mainstream media lynch mob. :P

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 12:55 AM

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

"Those prices are mean."

+1

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 4:30 PM

Exactly my experience as well, the suspicion that someone is taking advantage of them just overrides all reasoning. They have this huge idea in their minds of all these evil people all over the place. They see this evil as the cause of all their big problems in life, so must fight back at every opportunity or else they feel they're giving up, are powerless to improve things. People who see others like this always look for confirming evidence, but never evidence that would show that the seller isn't evil, isn't out to screw people over.

It makes me thankful that I encountered mises.org a few years ago and was able to reconsider economics. In my own case, it wasn't due to lack of rationality that kept me from understanding, but enemy images I had of companies and people who made profits.

So like you say, all the education about economics would never change their minds, because their objection isn't economic, it's social. I'd probably have zeroed in on their conviction that high prices are always absolute proof that the seller is trying to rip the buyer off. Perhaps start with examples of how things are more expensive on a train, boat, or small island, or how they'd be more expensive if say a place were without power for a month.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS