Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Pushing the boundaries of the surveillance state

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous Posted: Sun, Nov 4 2012 9:46 AM

A guy just records people with a camera because after all that is what the surveillance state does:

http://www.geekwire.com/2012/seattles-creepy-cameraman-pushes-limits-public-surveillance/

Check out all three videos.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 10:01 AM

Get ready for a boatload of groupthink, i.e. "surveillance is only okay if government agents are the ones doing it".

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 10:47 AM

Would be better if he was filming people strictly in public places. Instigating drama in private places seems like just the sort of stuff government can't wait to latch onto to justify banning filming without a permit outright. To me this is reminiscent of CIA going to protests to stir up violence and give protestors a bad name.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 5,000

Looks like most of the places he goes with the camera are private property. When they ask him to leave and then he doesn't, he's violating the NAP. Plus, these people haven't done anything wrong. Therefore, I'm labeling this kid and his tactics as not cool. surprise

When the people being videoed asked what was going on, the kid says they're videotaped in places like the grocery store. I thought grocery stores were generally private. People go to the grocery store; this kid went to people trying to go about their business. Not only not cool, but not even coherent.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 478
Points 10,295
FlyingAxe replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 12:37 AM

When the state performs surveillance, what crime is it committing (besides the fact that it is using public money obtained by theft)? Filming someone on his property or on 'public' property doesn't seem to be a violation of one's natural rights. Furthermore, from libertarian point of view, it seems that the people's reactions are misplaced. They don't own the light reflected off their bodies and cannot demand that someone doesn't capture it on his camera. (It's true that they can object to his doing so on their private property by evicting him, but that's not the issue of surveillance, but of trespassing.)

It's true that we don't want the state to do surveillance as a precaution of what the state may do with the obtained information. So, essentially, the point of this video is not anti-statist/anarchist but minarchist/constitutionalist.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS