Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Official election stuff thread: Because tomorrow is in the future

rated by 0 users
This post has 168 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 10:42 PM

+1 SkepticalMetal for Speech

-1 SkepticalMetal because it's LVMI.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 113
Points 1,685
RagnarD replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 10:43 PM

So with $64k per taxpayer added to the debt from 2008 - 2012.  Any bets on what we can add from 2012 - 2016? 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

It just baffles and saddens me that either candidate--but especially Obama, who has done so many horrible things--could get so...many...people to come out. And that people treat it like their favorite team just won the super bowl.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

@ Neodoxy

FINE MISTUR GRAMUR NAZI

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Look on the bright side, at least it will give ron paul a chance to run in 2016 on the repub ticket.

Also another not so bright side: Under obama, america might fall faster, and we will finally see the collapse of this country's financial, healthcare, and governmental system.

Isnt it great?

And we still have a black guy as president.

Make sure to buy the newspapers.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Come on guys, chill! Me, what I do, is I realize that no matter what way we look at it, the business cycle is gonna come full circle soon. So just listen to some Jim Morrison songs and LET IT COME!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 233
Points 4,440
Cortes replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 10:49 PM

It just baffles and saddens me that either candidate--but especially Obama, who has done so many horrible things--could get so...many...people to come out. And that people treat it like their favorite team just won the super bowl.

most people think voting is the purest expression of freedom possible because God/government essentially grants them the privilege. Plus the element of absolute faith in the idea that somebody must rule us.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 10:50 PM

"Look on the bright side, at least it will give ron paul a chance to run in 2016 on the repub ticket."

I really don't think that's going to happen. He'll be 81 years old in 2016, and I just can't see it.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

liechtenstein, that free city in hondoras will be underway, dubai financial district (110 acres of fairly free economics), supposedly there is a free city in china (was a commie test to see what happens and obviously did very well and probably the reason for their country becoming more free)

as far as poor countries i could do thailand.  I could easily buy off any government intervention, love the food and great scuba diving.  i would even do somalia or any dirt poor country as long as gun ownership isnt frowned upon. 

It would probably end up resting on what i want to do for a career

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

"Look on the bright side, at least it will give ron paul a chance to run in 2016 on the repub ticket."

I really don't think that's going to happen. He'll be 81 years old in 2016, and I just can't see it.

Ron paul is a very healthy man.

http://www.dailypaul.com/195070/help-ron-paul-is-as-healthy-as-an-ox

Look at the comments. They say he walks 6 miles a day.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

I didn't think I cared, but watching these people on TV---they're SO happy... I think happiness is a zero-sum game because they're somehow sucking my happiness away lol...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 151
Points 2,705

@Willy

You're watching on TV? You trying to induce vomiting? lol I don't think I could stomach mainstream media TV coverage.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 113
Points 1,685
RagnarD replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:07 PM

Grant, Honduras free city project was rejected as unconstitutional by their supreme court.  I wanna say there are 24 SEZ's in china (I might be way off on the number, but at least a handful).  I've refrained from studying them because I'm not very into Asian women (no racist just prefer latinas), I might start now though. Last I read the free city project is centering on Jamaica and Greece now, but I haven't been able to find anything more than that.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:14 PM

Ron Paul's healthy but the voters ain't.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Hopefully he wont go for a third term. That would suck.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

so they gave ohio to obama even though the votes have romney up right now?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:18 PM

That's how statistics works. No, seriously. The current totals aren't all that significant.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

RagnarD - i thought it got voted in at like 124-1 votes. got shot down at a higher level i guess?

Ya im not a fan of asian women, though i do love all women.

Costa Rica is pretty free.  Thats at the top of the list too.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 113
Points 1,685
RagnarD replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:27 PM

Grant--yea their congress?  voted for it 124-1 but then the supreme court rejected it for violating a sovreignty clause 13-2. 

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:28 PM

"FINE MISTUR GRAMUR NAZI"

Srsly bro, the words you need to abbreviate are on the top of your screen! No excuse for f***ing that up!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

anybody else have a huge problem with the electoral votes?

Ex.  Rhode Island's population is 1 mil?

Texas is 25 million?

RI has 4 votes and texas has 38?

RI has 4 and montana has 3 with a population difference of like 5,000 ppl.

this whole system is mad.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

:ʎxopoǝN

"FINE MISTUR GRAMUR NAZI"

Srsly bro, the words you need to abbreviate are on the top of your screen! No excuse for f***ing that up!

I agree.

What the heck is LVWMWMIBMW (Institute)?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:33 PM

Dude how the hell did you write upside down?

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

˙ǝɯ oʇ ןɐɯɹou sʞooן ʇı

¿uɐǝɯ noʎ op ʇɐɥʍ

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:36 PM

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Please tell me that Bush thing is not the Onion.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:41 PM

@Kelvin

DX

@Anenome

... Little late now don't ya think?

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 12:02 AM

grant.w.underwood:

liechtenstein, that free city in hondoras

Lichtenstein while perhaps amenable to libertarian ideology can't become a player on the world stage. It would be equivalent to a libertarian expat center. And because english isn't spoken there, ultimately marginalized. It will always remain under the shadow of political control by the EU due to its geography.

As for Honduras, the plan was shot down by the Honduran supreme court. It's a no-go.

grant.w.underwood:
dubai financial district (110 acres of fairly free economics),

Eh? Dubai tho. The city imploded financially since the crash, it's a ghost-town.

grant.w.underwood:
supposedly there is a free city in china (was a commie test to see what happens and obviously did very well and probably the reason for their country becoming more free)

You won't be free in China. Period.

grant.w.underwood:
as far as poor countries i could do thailand.  I could easily buy off any government intervention, love the food and great scuba diving.  i would even do somalia or any dirt poor country as long as gun ownership isnt frowned upon. 

It would probably end up resting on what i want to do for a career

Mmm. Or you could join a seastead and build a lasting place full of libertarians. A place that will carry our preferred way of living into the future. Blueseed launches next year, thousands of people living in a jurisdiction-free society. Next year, it begins.

I want to start one too, more los angeles centered perhaps :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 12:15 AM

Neodoxy:

@Anenome

... Little late now don't ya think?

Nah, shows how far the L part has come. The margin of loss in Florida is roughly the number of votes cast for Johnson. This will pull the repubs towards our direction, force them to try to appeal to libertarians. Similarly, the left will want to try to appeal to use too.

Four more years of Obama will make the right crazy, which means they'll be receptive to the libertarian message. I've already had a couple friends open up to me about seasteading the minute Obama was announced winner. And they seem to be taking it seriously as an option.

Beyond that there's the healthcare law which will go into effect, and become a disaster by year four, exploding budgets, being an all-around pain, etc. The right will be receptive to libertarian talking points on healthcare, and we'll hammer them for continually compromising on healthcare over the years. At last they will be forced to make the abolition argument and to see that they've helped get the country here. Even if they can't muster the votes to actually kill obamacare, they'll be pulled inexorably towards the libertarian argument for abolishment, and will listen to the principles we espouse regarding it.

Beyond that, this loss, which should've been a pretty easy victory for a Republican given the economy and unemployment, means the repubs will have a crisis of confidence. Which means more receptivity to new ideas. Which means renewed chances to infiltrate the repub party and sieze the organs of power.

Johnson is going to keep campaigning throughout 2013, doing speeches all over the country, and if we're lucky he'll keep campaing for '14, '15', and into '16 as the new nominee. And the right will be receptive generally.

By 2016, if libertarians can pull 2% - 5% of the vote, we become king-makers. And king-makers are powerful :D

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 12:25 AM

I mention the election in my latest News Aura segment (sorry, have to toot my horn a little):

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 12:59 AM

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 256
Points 5,630

It's amazing that Canadians know so much about American politics...

What do they really know, other than the names of the candidates and whether they are a Republican or Democrat?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 256
Points 5,630

Obama said,

'Best is yet to come'

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 2:36 AM

'Best is yet to come'

Best for who? The people who gave us PATRIOT Act, TARP, MCA, NDAA, millimeter wave scanners etc. etc. (Alex Jones can provide a complete list)? If what they have planned for us is "even better", I'd rather they just keep it to themselves. It's like there's a tsunami coming and we're the only people looking out to sea. I'd be better off if I had never turned around to begin with.

:-\

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 4:57 AM

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 4:59 AM

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 5:07 AM

What is this, the Free County Project?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

Anenome, why do you think Gary Johnson is a libertarian?

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

He isn't. He's a statist with a...small...miniscule...libertarian-leaning view.

He says he'd be okay with "humanitarian wars," he doesn't want to end the Fed he wants to audit the Fed, and he doesn't mind Gitmo Bay. He also doesn't want to legalize hard drugs, just Mary Jane.

Some libertarian.

@ Neodoxy and Kelvin Silva

STOP IT DAMN IT

Page 4 of 5 (169 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS