Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Official election stuff thread: Because tomorrow is in the future

rated by 0 users
This post has 168 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:08 AM

Exactly my point. That's why I'm baffled by Anenome promoting him.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 117
Points 1,935
h.k. replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 11:36 AM

Yeah the other minarchist (Koch-funded) websites are mostly supportive of Johnson as well. Weak sauce.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 12:02 PM

Oh you know, let's not be sectarian. He's not perfect but if he actually became a contender that would be a huge move forward.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 256
Points 5,630

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

Yeah...I honestly don't care for Gary Johnson too much... 

If only Rand Paul were less of a sell-out... Maybe daddy will beat some sense into him before 2016.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 12:16 PM

Anenome:
Oh you know, let's not be sectarian. He's not perfect but if he actually became a contender that would be a huge move forward.

Honestly, I don't think Gary Johnson would be a huge move forward. I think he would be a small move forward at best.

And I don't think I'm being sectarian here, because I don't consider him to be a libertarian at all.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

And I don't think I'm being sectarian here, because I don't consider him to be a libertarian at all.

He's not a libertarian.  He's a moderate.  He'd moderate the demands of the two major factions which only looks on the surface to be libertarian.  Having said that...he'd still be better than the other two.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 12:38 PM

I heard Johnson's VP, Gray, speak at Libertopia, defending voting generally, and he made weak arguments and also said some statist / minarch things. So they're both not going far enough as we'd like with libertarian ideas.

But what we have in Johnson is a prominent voice for libertarian ideals, even if he's not pure enough to support without reservation. He's practically Thomas Jefferson compared to the other two.

The difference is, if Johnson ever actuall got power, I'd be pushing for the next candidate against him who is a true libertarian. And that would be an enviable position to be in comapred to now.

I really have no problem throwing Johnson under the bus if it comes down to that :P

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 256
Points 5,630

Page 5 of 5 (169 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS