Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Unsolicited Advice

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi Posted: Tue, Nov 6 2012 7:05 PM
Inspired by my own magnanimous behavior in another thread, I thought it might be a good idea for everyone here to give advice to an imaginary 15-year-old who has passing familiarity with austrian economics. Assume that you want to help this individual succeed (in a value-free science, you need to specify an end). What would you tell this young person (male or female or one of each, or gender-neutral) about school, work, getting along and getting ahead?
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,505
TronCat replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 7:06 PM

Don't be a douche. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

So, SkepticalMetal?

:P

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 7:14 PM
No, this is a reference thread for future fifteen year olds.
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 7:33 PM

Are you saying that the 15 year old must succeed at something we must specify or in a value free science which we must specify?

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 7:50 PM
I mean that if I asked austrians for advice without mentioning that it should be advice on how to succeed, there is no telling what I would get back. It could have been advice on how to pwn professors in their own classes, for instance.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 7:53 PM

Stuff like, try not to marry before you're 30.

Start saving money now, even if it's $10 a month.

Don't go into deep debt as it forces you onto a certain path (ie: college loans; corporate rat-race).

Try to become very good at a location-non-specific skill, like say programming or writing, if you want to join a libertarian seastead or something :P SM could do like a documentary on some seastead, that would be boss.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 7:58 PM

Fuck the world. With the most open mind, study everything you can, and never believe anything before studying several alternatives. Even then, always accept that whatever you believe is simply the best wrong answer you've encountered. Find the common thread between people who are satisfied on the one hand, and people who can have anything they want on the other, then devote every ounce of energy in everything you think and do toward spinning that thread in your life.

Remember that you are nothing to the universe or the long term course of homo sapiens, and your impact on the incalculable and unending suffering of homo sapiens will be negligable at best. So live—relentlessly—toward expanding your power and pleasure, and the pleasure of those you care about, and be humbled when your actions relieve the suffering of people who have no apparent value to you.

[EDIT] And alluding to what anenome said in regards to saving, and to be more relevant to economics per se: recognize the value of resources and remember that every single decision in your life that you're consciously aware of builds your personality and defines your future. Old habits die hard. And time is the most precious resource next to other humans. You don't get time back, so always spend it in the way that will best provide for you in the future.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 8:03 PM

1. Kill your enemies

2. See them driven before you

3. Listen to the lamentation of their women

... Those are the best things in life

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

Neodoxy - I looked that up on Google Images because I remembered a funny gif avatar of cows, but all I got was this:

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

School: avoid as much as possible. Study practical stuff that can actually make you money. Don't go to college. Don't borrow money to finance your education.

Work: Never complain. Never throw anyone under the bus. Don't attack anyone, but vigorously defend yourself if needed. Try to learn more and more stuff, so that you'll become indispensable. Be flexible and modest.

Getting along: Get some code of ethics and live by it. Be prepared to pay a price for sticking to your principles. Make sure your "principles" aren't stupid ego trips, but important things.

Getting ahead: Live within your means. Save money, even a little every pay, and buy junk silver with the dough.

Staying fit: Get a copy of Starting Strength, and do what it says to the letter.

General Advice: Life really sucks for almost everyone at some point, loved ones dying, dysfunctional families, various diseases and heartbreaks. So remember this and be compassionate. You are the world's kindly big brother. if you feel like that, you have risen to great moral heights.

Learn about humility. It means you have no obligation to be anything special. You are who you are, and that's the way it is. If you really grasp this, it is very relaxing. 

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 9:02 PM

Always trust your own thinking. Sometimes it won't be very good, but don't just toss it aside for anyone else's. Everyone you meet will subtly imply that you aren't your own authority in countless ways. Think about this regularly and turn back to yourself.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 9:05 PM

Wheylous,

Lawl wat?

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Chase girls, they will keep you motivated.

School: avoid as much as possible. Study practical stuff that can actually make you money. Don't go to college. Don't borrow money to finance your education.

Tell this to my parents.

Do good in school, but becareful to not become brainwashed, keep those grades up, that means your parents will bich less at you and you will have a happier life with your parents, and possibly gain a good reputation with them.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

Try to enter the capitalist class, even if only a little bit. If you are going to buy a house, consider buying a two family and renting out one of the floors. Then later in life if you decide to move to a single family house, you have property that is making you some cash. Just an example. One could do any number of things. Obviously this doesn't apply to a 15 year old, but if you make it a long term goal, you can come up with short term goals. For instance, if you are fortunate enough to be middle class where you don't need to work during the summer, work anyway. Scoop ice cream at an ice shop or whatever. Do that when you are 15 and keep doing it and save that money.

I started doing that sort of thing after high school, because I thought to myself, "Why work when my parents will take care of me?" Well, don't think like that. The only reason ever to bum off of your parents is because you are somehow using that time to secure your future prospects, and that time you get will lead to what you want. Otherwise, don't even consider it.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Try to enter the capitalist class, even if only a little bit. If you are going to buy a house, consider buying a two family and renting out one of the floors. Then later in life if you decide to move to a single family house, you have property that is making you some cash. Just an example. One could do any number of things. Obviously this doesn't apply to a 15 year old, but if you make it a long term goal, you can come up with short term goals. For instance, if you are fortunate enough to be middle class where you don't need to work during the summer, work anyway. Scoop ice cream at an ice shop or whatever. Do that when you are 15 and keep doing it and save that money.

My mother bought a small house that she would rent out to someone.

She said she would transfer the ownership into my name when i get older. Ive worked on the house (installing blinds, etc, maintenance), but im not too enthusiastic about it since its not something I earned.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:32 PM

You are lucky if she will do that for you. No one "earns" gifts or an inheritance. But so what? Use it to earn more. Besides, if she transfers it to you, you can rest assured that you will have to do the upkeep. You will certainly feel like you've earned it then.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:37 PM

Do sprints and heavy resistance training and join a rugby team. It's fun and your free time will be put to better use.

Find something you like and get good at it. Don't be afraid to be smart either. Learn a language.

Don't spend your money liberally. Whatever trouble comes, you can ride it out if you keep cool and decide on a course of action

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 12:42 AM

Besides, if she transfers it to you, you can rest assured that you will have to do the upkeep. You will certainly feel like you've earned it then.

One of the first things I do when I move into a new place is clean it really well. Afterwards I have a much stronger sense of it being my place and a desire to keep it up. Sort of like homesteading to initially acquire property, one is encouraged to upkeep property one feels ownership of (or else sell it).

If I could just get the quoting to work, I wouldn't be so frustrated. Preview shows different than what the final post shows, which adds to my frustration. phpBB, where are you?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 1:16 AM

@Blargg: You must be new round these parts. Forum software has been hopelessly broken for years. We've complained. We've staged coups. There are two or three "alternate LvMI forums" that are being maintained on free forum hosting sites. One of these days, a Moses will rise and lead us all out of Egypt and into a promised land, flowing with milk and honey and a working quote feature and post previews.... someday.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 1:19 AM

Not to mention the Mises wiki, which is a treasure trove, is constantly broken.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 1:36 AM

Blargg:

If I could just get the quoting to work

Hit reply. See the URL, at the end it says 'false'. Change that to 'true', hit enter, page reloads and quote is there. Enjoy.

I have a bookmarklet that does this with one click, create a bookmark with this as its url:

javascript:(function()%20{window.location=window.location.toString().replace('Quote=False','Quote=True');})();

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 2:25 AM

Do what you most want to do and do it with total abandon. Do it like this guy climbed rocks and did jumps:

If you fail, as long as you're still alive, don't give up and just go right back to it. Our culture seeks to infuse the person who fails at something with overwhelming guilt and depression. Just ignore it and keep going.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Page 1 of 1 (23 items) | RSS