Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

stupid comments you see on youtube, facebook, etc.

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 232
Points 4,905
fegeldolfy Posted: Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:39 PM

i thought it would be good to have a thread where we can post all the stupid comments we see on youtube,facebook,etc.

Here's one I found on an FDR video:

With respect, sir, you are deluded. The boom of the 20s was entirely caused by victory in WWI and the expansion of production of personal rather than capital goods; extreme deregulation under Coolidge brought on the depression. The depression was largely over by '37, but budget hawks forced a premature end to government spending, exactly as they are doing now. Keynesian economics: 90 years old now, and the most empirically proven economic system ever devised.

1936 was 90 years ago.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 1:47 AM

Is that improper usage of the word "deluded" to? Wouldn't it have to be "you have been deluded" since "deluded" is a past tense of a verb? It's also great that he thinks that Coolidge deregulated... Coolidge didn't do shit besides poison alcohol :P... It's also flat out idiotic to say that Keynesianism has been thoroughly proven when it's highly disputed in macroeconomics today and classical Keynesianism has been almost entirely cast aside.

Anyway, this thread has great comedic potential. Keep em coming. Just a shame this didn't come out before the election. Facebook was... Fascinating, to say the least, over the past few weeks.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

Neodoxy, why do you think it's highly debated?

This (http://bastiat.mises.org/2012/11/fiscal-stimulus-or-fiscal-depressant/), or something related to monetary policy?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 8:54 AM

I'm sorry Wheylous I don't understand your question. Could you restate it?

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

You said Keynesian policies are highly debated. Support the statement.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 9:23 AM

fegeldolfy:

i thought it would be good to have a thread where we can post all the stupid comments we see on youtube,facebook,etc.

Oh please no. The forum gets more than its share of stupid from stsoc and Birthday Pony's aliases. There's no need to outsource.

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 11:36 AM

@Wheylous

It's common knowledge that classical Keynesianism began to die in the 70's with stagflation. Friedman finished it off. It still exists, definitely, but it's much more "Neo-Keynesian" in nature.

EDIT

Groucho,

It's always more efficient to divide labor. I don't need your protectionist fallacies.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 11:40 AM

Oh, alright, I thought you were talking about neo-Keynesianism.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 11:47 AM

@Neodoxy

But our trolls can't compete - we need a level playing field!

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 11:50 AM

Wheylous,

Well of course there's the everlasting debates surrounding the extent of the multiplier vs. crowding out which go on constantly in academia.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 69
Points 1,600

Just saw this on a forum that I frequent (he wasn't responding to me) (bolded is mine)

I don't understand. We are a capitalist country through and through. Are you saying Obama is going to change our economic system? How, when corporations pretty much run the United States? I don't see how that's even close to possible.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS