Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

We are NOT born Libertarian!

rated by 0 users
This post has 60 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 1:01 PM

OK, so then you seem to have a bizarre definition of libertarian. The central ideas of libertarianism are self-ownership, property rights through homesteading and voluntary exchange and non-aggression (only the use of defensive, non-initiatory violence is legally justifiable).

You said in the OP: "We are NOT born Libertarian. We are born human, and as humans, we are tribalistic, violent, and collective thinking [desiring to be part of a group]."

Implied in this are that libertarians are one or all of:

• Not human
  • Not tribal
  • Not violent
  • Not desiring to be part of a group

The first point is I think rhetorical excess on your part. The second and fourth points are, it seems to me, different ways of saying the same thing. So, you are asserting two things as I see it: libertarians are pacifist and rugged individualistic. However, if you look at the central ideas I spelled out above, you will see that neither pacifism nor rugged individualism figure anywhere there. That's not an oversight. Some libertarians are pacifistic (e.g. Roderick Long). Some are rugged individualists (e.g. Henry David Thoreau).

I'll agree with you that these libertarians are mistaken in their pacifism and rugged individualism. But what all libertarians have in common are the attributes I gave in the first paragraph. If you're going to claim that humans are not born libertarian, please use the actual definition of libertarian.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

TronCat/MissMapleLeaf:
'Collective thinking' was a stupid way to put it, I simply meant that people desire to be part of a group, or a tribe of some sort.

Only one group?

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,505
TronCat replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 1:11 PM

When I say that humans are not born libertarian, I mean to say the 'Libertarian' ideas as we understand them (which is completely understandable for a newborn human). Unless you're saying that libertarianism is the most honest expression of humanity? 

Also, I don't think humans are born to follow the NAP, but then again, not all libertarians necessarily follow that or agree with it. 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 372
Points 8,230

This wan't necessarily about tribalism, it was to debunk two things: 

1. We are born Libertarians 

2. That socio-political direction of America (or any country for that matter) is driven by an 'elite'

I don't get the relevance of 2, if I'm not mistaken Clayton didn't say anything of that sort. As for 1, our "group" now (i.e. the state) is certainly anti-libertarian, but groups in themselves are not necessarily anti-libertarian.

"Nutty as squirrel shit."
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,505
TronCat replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 1:16 PM

Clayton admitted that he's into that conspiracy stuff. 

I agree that there are 'powers' that manipulate the process, but they're just working with the culture, and that culture is emergent and cyclical (this shit has happened before). 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 1:42 PM

there are 'powers' that manipulate the process,

But that's the whole point. Those in power want to make it out like their position is somehow natural or not the result of their own avarice and ambition. The country just rose up and demanded Barack Obama as President in 2008! How silly. Those in power got there as the result of climbing over the heads of their peers - by any means necessary - to reach the top. They are not the lucky beneficiaries of "emergent" and uncontrolled public sentiment.

It is true that the masses will always run after some leader or other and that is why we have some leader. But it doesn't follow that the particular leader can wipe his hands clean of all the dirty business he engaged in to get to the top on this basis. "Someone had to lead" Yeah, but it didn't have to be you, so shut up unless you're going to be honest enough admit that you're a despicable human being devoid of moral compunction who clawed his way to the top over a pile of broken lives and probably even some dead bodies.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,505
TronCat replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 1:50 PM

They are not the lucky beneficiaries of "emergent" and uncontrolled public sentiment.

They aren't 'lucky', they just took advantage. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

That was the point of his whole post.....I can't tell if you are trolling.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,505
TronCat replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 2:05 PM

Clayton was assuming that I think they got 'lucky' because the culture is emergent. That's not what I think.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

Where did he assume that?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

Anyway, TronCat, as long as we are on the subject of you trolling, is there any particular reason you decided to create the troll account MissMapleLeaf?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,505
TronCat replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 2:32 PM

What the hell are you talking about? I don't know what that account is. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

It's interesting that I got a response out of you for that comment, but not when I asked you to point out where Clayton assumed whatever it is you claimed he assumed.

Anyway, for those that are interested, here is the damning evidence that TronCat decided to troll us under the account MissMapleLeaf.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,505
TronCat replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 2:51 PM

It's quite obvious that Clayton assumed that, considering our discussion in this entire thread thus far. 

As for that 'damning evidence', it's quite obvious that someone in here hacked into my account to frame me. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

Really, and just how is that "quite obvious"?

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

You are a troll. Please quote the section where Clayton assumed it. No one hacked your account. You are a troll.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,505
TronCat replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 2:56 PM

Ask Clayton whether or not he did, it doesn't matter anyway. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

Why should I ask him if it doesn't matter?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,505
TronCat replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 2:59 PM

Then don't. 

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

A troll! A troll! Burn him at the stake! 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 372
Points 8,230

Anyway, for those that are interested, here is the damning evidence that TronCat decided to troll us under the account MissMapleLeaf.

Hahaaa, TronCat dun goof'd!

"Nutty as squirrel shit."
Page 2 of 2 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS