Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Are You Happy Prop 37 Failed?

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov Posted: Wed, Nov 7 2012 12:07 PM

As a free market person, are you happy prop 37 failed?

no force used against companies to make them label gmo products.

or, do you realize the system is so messed up anyway, this could have helped consumers, until we can get rid of subsidies and government?

what are your thoughts on it?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 12:13 PM

(Prop 37 in California)

Any proposition that would give the State any kind of new authority or create new regulations is best voted down. Even if it might be considered beneficial to altruistic interests.

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:01 PM
Even if we want the cancer gone, is it better to sever an artery that feeds a tumor or leave it be?
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

People are happy it passed.

I had to listen as the people sitting next to me during computer science high fived each other as new taxes were passed and government mandates were yayed.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 11:46 PM
Supporting mandatory GMO labeling in isolation is quite different from supporting mandatory GMO labeling under the assumption of a corporatist system with giant food companies and crowding out of private quality certification, not to mention an education system that destroys the reasoning ability of the general populace. Criticizing policy in isolation is a fool's errand and only leads to confusion and people concluding libertarians are misguidedly rigid ideologues who cannot see the forest for the trees.
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

an education system that destroys the reasoning ability of the general populace.

Then what would they care about a label that says GMO?

For all i know, GMO is just the same thing but grown in a different fertilizer, etc, etc.

Im not a scientistst.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 12:41 AM

GMO is just the same thing but grown in a different fertilizer

Ummmm, no.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

At the very least, I think it's fraudulent for food made from GMOs to be labelled as "natural". GMOs are about as natural as the Hoover Dam.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 11:29 AM

There's a very basic distinction in the kinds of GMOs that is not being made and which I find infuriating - namely, whether the resultant GMO could have come about through natural processes (sexual combination) or not. For example, splicing spider genes into a goat - that could not have come about through any sexual combination. Hence, it is different than the kind of genetic alteration when you replace a damaged gene that leads to disease with an undamaged version of that gene or when you intentionally double a gene (something that can happen in sexual combination, even though it's a disorder of the genetic copying process), and so on.

Also, property rights are being violated willy nilly. It is an act of aggression, in my view, to create an artificial lifeform that could not have come about through natural processes, then allow that lifeform to reproduce with the property of others. For example, if Monsanto's wheat spores blow over onto the field of a farmer who is growing non-Monsanto wheat and some of the non-Monsanto wheat is converted into Monsanto wheat, I think that should be treated as a property-rights violation. If you're going to mess with Nature, then you need to keep that shit on your own property.

Also the patents on genetic codes are the height of absurdity. Wonders never cease.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 11:36 AM

+1 Clayton

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 11:43 AM

@ Clayton -

Interesting. Makes me wonder how broad the scope of private property rights could actually be in terms of regulating commerce...

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 11:58 AM

"At the very least, I think it's fraudulent for food made from GMOs to be labelled as "natural". GMOs are about as natural as the Hoover Dam."

good point.  it is fraud.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

The law would have the same efficacy as the FDA. That is, it would create a false sense of safety... or do you really believe that the people enforcing this law would not be bribed into approving GMO products as "Natural"?

EDIT: Omg! Look at the exemptions:

• unintentionally produced with genetically engineered material;
  • made from animals fed or injected with genetically engineered material but not genetically engineered themselves;
  • processed with or containing only small amounts of genetically engineered ingredients;
  • administered for treatment of medical conditions;
  • sold for immediate consumption such as in a restaurant;
  • or alcoholic beverages.

Monsato: Well, we did not intend to genetically modify it.
Our protector, by the grace of God, the bureaucrat: Ok. Approved!

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580

"the people enforcing this law would not be bribed into approving GMO products as "Natural"?"

that is a good point....and that is what I thought would probably happen if it did pass....

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Clayton- I know what they are.

I was just mimicking someone who would not be educated on them. Why would they care about the label if they didnt know what it was in the first place?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580

Kelvin Silva:

Clayton- I know what they are.

I was just mimicking someone who would not be educated on them. Why would they care about the label if they didnt know what it was in the first place?

Hey.....are you Johnrocks on the hannity board?  I remember you.  I remember your picture.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS