Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

My wishful thinking: Romney win would mean better Justices

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous Posted: Thu, Nov 8 2012 8:16 AM

It appears to me without too much research that Republicans tend to pick Supreme Court Justices more in line with libertarian ideals than Democrats do. I think that a Romney win would have meant better Supreme Court Justices than an Obama one. Am I naive or do you agree?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 8:56 AM

I don't think you're naive. Judge Andrew Napolitano said essentially the same thing.

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 9:36 AM

Oops. That was the wrong video.

Here's the right one:

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 478
Points 10,295
FlyingAxe replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 10:11 AM

Such as Justice Roberts? Or, perhaps, Justice Scalia who ruled against freedom to smoke what you want and have sex with whom you want?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

The party affiliation of anybody doesn't mean that they appoint better people, or do better things. Just look at Gary Johnson, a guy with the libertarian party. He isn't even a libertarian.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 10:45 AM

Napolitano's point was that Obama is uniquely dangerous in terms of his ideology and use of state power. As such, he is practically guaranteed to appoint justices (as he has already done) in that spirit. Romney *might* not have done that.

Definitely not enough to hang your hat on as far as voting for the swine though.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 117
Points 1,935
h.k. replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 2:01 AM

Romney is a more violent bastard, it doesn't matter.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 3:28 AM

I would've agreed with you a few months ago, Wheylous. But after the Roberts betrayal on healthcare, it's not a point I can make anymore and actually believe it.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS