Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Help with Balance of Trade

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 75 Contributor
1,133 Posts
Points 20,435
Jargon posted on Thu, Nov 8 2012 9:38 AM

I vaguely recall declaring Hazlitt and possibly others saying that exports ultimately equal imports and vise versa, because what else would someone do with foreign currency other than buy products from the homeland of said currency. Does this then mean that issues of trade 'deficits' and trade 'surpluses' are ultimately monetary? By this logic, wouldn't two countries whose currency valuations were moving perfectly in tandem have a neutral balance of trade?

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Male
907 Posts
Points 14,795

what else would someone do with foreign currency other than buy products from the homeland of said currency

I think buying property abroad does not count as imports - this is one possible sink for foreign currency.

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650

Jargon,

What do you mean by

"Does this then mean that issues of trade 'deficits' and trade 'surpluses' are ultimately monetary?"

and

"wouldn't two countries whose currency valuations were moving perfectly in tandem have a neutral balance of trade?"

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
1,133 Posts
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 10:59 AM

In the first statement, I am asking:

Is it true or false that the foundational determining factor of whether a country is a net exporter or net importer a monetary one? (quotes around deficit and surplus, because these labels impute an objective quality of  "goodness" and "badness" where it may not be applicable)

In the second statement, I am asking:

So say, hypothetically, the only two countries that exist on earthhave decided on an exchange rate for their currencies, and are inflating the money supply at the exact same speed, would there not be a net neutrality of exports/imports between the two?

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,687 Posts
Points 48,995

Our trade account has two sides: current account and capital account. A current account deficit means a capital account surplus, which essentially means that foreigners are buying U.S. assets. Currently, a significant amount of those assets are government bonds, which means that if we were to reduce the size of gov. debt held by foreigners our current account deficit would probably fall (unless they were to simply switch to alternative assets).

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS