Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Two books, and only two, to help someone start down the libertarian path

rated by 0 users
This post has 61 Replies | 11 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 5
Points 295
ag4apple Posted: Sat, Nov 10 2012 12:19 PM

A good friend of mine, who is very progressive/liberal, is often willing to have intelligent discussions with me about my anarcho-capitalist views.  Recently, she said she was willing to learn more.  

I told her I have about 25 books, and it would take reading most of them to really get the whole picture.  She said "give me the two best".  

She is college educated, and pretty smart.  Like most Americans, she believes most of the mainstream "conventional widom" about politics and government, though she does admit that all governments are full of corruption and deceit.  

The books can't be too narrowly focused, or too huge (no way she'll read Human Action). 

I was thinking Economics for Real People, and The Ethics of Liberty.  But, there may be better choices.  

Anyone have any good recommendations?  

"To take a man's property without his consent, and then to infer his consent because he attempts, by voting, to prevent that property from being used to his injury, is a very insufficient proof of his consent to support the Constitution. It is, in fact, no proof at all." -- Lysander Spooner
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 12:22 PM

Economics in One Lesson

For a New Liberty

One to show them the failure of government and fill them with skepticism. One to show them the libertarian alternative and the inherent evil of the state.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 372
Points 8,230

Economics In One Lesson

but I prefer Machinery of Freedom over For a New Liberty, just because it's a better practical explanation,

"Nutty as squirrel shit."
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 12:39 PM

You've got to get economics in there for these leftist types, it's the root of their flawed thinking. So I'll endorse Econ in One Lesson too, though I also really like Sowell's Basic Economics.

And I think For a New Liberty superior to Ethics of Liberty, FaNL also includes a lot of material from EoL.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 5
Points 295
ag4apple replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 12:51 PM

First off, thanks for the replies.  I really need to use the Mises.org forums more often.  I'm an IT professional, and I'm having huge problems figuring out how to make basic posts and replies.  I feel like an idiot.  

As for the recommendations:

I'm a bit surprised at the recommendations for Economics in One Lesson.  No knock against Hazlitt -- I love him -- but I didn't find Economics in One Lesson to be all that compelling, or to do enough to comprehensively explain the Misesian views of human action.  Maybe I'm wrong, it's been a while since I read it, but I just felt like I was reading a mainstream Republican argument against government spending.  

"To take a man's property without his consent, and then to infer his consent because he attempts, by voting, to prevent that property from being used to his injury, is a very insufficient proof of his consent to support the Constitution. It is, in fact, no proof at all." -- Lysander Spooner
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

basic economics is huge though.

and i agree with most the recommendations so far.  I like the idea of going with an economic book and then a libertarian book.

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 232
Points 4,905

I agree with For A New Liberty, but I would include either Bob Murphy's Lessons for the Young Economist or Gene Callahan's Economics for Real People rather than Economics in One Lesson. Hazlitt's book is more of a refutation of interventionist policies and not really a good intro to the austrian school.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 1:25 PM

grant.w.underwood:

basic economics is huge though.

and i agree with most the recommendations so far.  I like the idea of going with an economic book and then a libertarian book.

Yeah, i keep forgetting that he ballooned the book in its later editions :\ the first edition I read was reasonable.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 1:27 PM

1. As for the Ethics of Liberty, I think that it's too large, not succinct enough, and that it doesn't cover a wide enough range of material in this case.

2. In terms of the Machinery of Freedom. Even though it is entirely void of an ethical case, and my therefore appear more "practical", the vast majority of For a New Liberty is spent on dealing with current issues. I think that it does a much better job of explaining the problems as well as the libertarian solution. I didn't find Machinery nearly as compelling as For a New Liberty, rather a good complement to For a New Liberty.

3. Economics in One Lesson does have some republican undertones, but it still does a great job of destroying a lot of statist arguments, however it also does an amazing job of putting forward the one fact that will convert almost anyone to free market capitalism: Markets and their structure exist for a reason. They are not arbitary constructions whcih can be fixed by the government. I also have to say that the short chapter dealing with economic calculation and entrepreneurship is literally one of the greatest chapters written in the history of Austrian Economics

4. Economics for Real People is a pretty bad book. It deals with too many things too quickly for beginners. It also presents these things too superficially for anyone experienced enough to understand what the author is talking about to gain from reading from the book. It's more or less useless except in some of the background information it gives.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 219
Points 3,980

For the very liberal/progressive liberal woman?

Albert Jay Nock - Our Enemy The State
Rose Wilder Lane - The Discovery of Freedom

Close 3rd: Any good compendium of Lysander Spooner

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Maybe something from Ron Paul....

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 2:12 PM

Economics in One Lesson

Beyond Democracy

For a New Liberty

I know it's three books but Beyond Democracy is really small -- 2-3 hour read tops. Have had a lot of success recommending that one to non-libertarians.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 2:26 PM

I've heard How an Economy Grows and Why it Crashes is an excellent primer to proper economics as well.

I find that most people agree with libertarianism on social issues fairly quickly, but the economics are really the core of it.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 2:44 PM

Economics in One Lesson

The Politics of Obedience

I will give an honorable mention to Bastiat's The Law... the only reason I put Politics of Obedience ahead of it is that Economics in One Lesson covers most of the arguments that Bastiat puts forward in The Law and without the obsolete references to 19th-century French political arguments which few people today are familiar with.

With Politics of Obedience, I would challenge her to ask herself the following two questions:

1) Even assuming that democratic governments are mostly non-tyrannical, how many modern governments can truthfully be said to be enlightened and not tyrannical in the sense that Boetie discusses? Is it even a majority (more than 100 out of the 200 existing?)

2) Modern Democratic governments still wield all the same instruments of power that medieval tyrants wielded, including capital punishment and now torture, disappearance, and so on. So, how is it that these governments are somehow magically immune from the abuses that Boetie describes in Politics of Obedience? Given the headlines we see constantly coming out regarding abuses of government power, is it not possible that we are only seeing the tip of a much larger iceberg?

As a final note, you said she's educated so I hope she's read The Prince. If not, I would recommend to bundle The Prince and Politics of Obedience as one book... after all, Politics of Obedience is very short.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 781
Points 13,130

I think you can't really be a libertarian unless you understand economics; and if you do understand economics, you will inevitably be a libertarian. Hence:

Economics in One Lesson, Hazlitt

Interventionism, Mises

apiarius delendus est, ursus esuriens continendus est
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,005
Points 19,030
fakename replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 3:35 PM

Economic Sophisms and Economic Harmonies by Bastiat.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 4:20 PM

I think you can't really be a libertarian unless you understand economics

Actually, i think this is not true and it's one of the common beliefs among libertarians that reduces the influence that libertarians could have. I'm convinced that "all paths lead to liberty". Nobody is actually in favor of tyranny. Let me explain what I mean by that. If you're justifying some tyrannical, anti-property rights policy, there are only a few possibilities:

a) You're the tyrant (or one of his associates), in which case, I'm not surprised and I never expect to "persuade" you of the error of your ways... but neither do I care to persuade you because you are an insignificant minority

b) You're planning to become the tyrant or one of his agents- that is, you haven't yet achieved power but you think you're on your way. The key here is that the very fact that you're dreaming up your own tyranny shows that you are not happy with the tyranny that is.

c) You understand your subjugated situation with respect to the tyrant power but you are suffering from Stockholm syndrome

d) You don't understand your subjugated situation with respect to the tyrant: you're confused.

Libertarians can easily reach out to groups (c) and (d) and I think these groups are much bigger than people realize. In fact, I'm of the opinion that they are larger than group (b). Group (b) is a little more challenging - this is your typical, mainstream Republicrat. However, I think that illustrating the fact that tyranny is the reason we have the problems we have and more tyranny has never solved them (economics is definitely useful here) can help.

Of course, there's no hope for group (a). Break out the guillotines, baby. ;-)

Clayton -

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

What about Anatomy of the State and The Prince? Nobody here seems to talk about The Prince. Monarchism isn't dead, all you have to do is walk into a grocery store magazine lane and you'll see idiots reading stuff about the Royal Tools.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 853
Points 17,830

Clayton:
c) You understand your subjugated situation with respect to the tyrant power but you are suffering from Stockholm syndrome

d) You don't understand your subjugated situation with respect to the tyrant: you're confused.

How do you determine whether a given person is in group c or group d? 

Do you use a different approach depending on what group you think they are in?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 781
Points 13,130

@Clayton

Yes, I agree that an understanding of economics is not going to make rulers or would-be rulers libertarians, I should have included that caveat.

Anyway, I'm not saying that a person can't, for example, be in favor of libertarian policies without understanding economics. Lots of people voted for Ron Paul who really don't understand anything about economics. Their libertarianism is purely ethical. I guess what I'm saying is that IMO economics is essential to libertarianism, and so one cannot fully understand libertarianism without understanding economics, though of course people can certainly favor something which they don't understand. That goes for many of the people who support libertarian policies, and obviously goes for most of the people cheering on corporatism.

apiarius delendus est, ursus esuriens continendus est
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 4:35 PM

@Minarchist: I'm trying to say that we need to broaden our approach. myhumangestme suggested Rose Wilder Lane and Albert Jay Nock... I think that's brilliant if you're trying to reach across the aisle, precisely because neither author is an economist.

Clayton -

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 4:45 PM

@ Clayton -

What if the person just wants to be a slave? Why must it be that all men want freedom?

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 5:41 PM

Clayton:

I think you can't really be a libertarian unless you understand economics

Actually, i think this is not true and it's one of the common beliefs among libertarians that reduces the influence that libertarians could have. I'm convinced that "all paths lead to liberty". Nobody is actually in favor of tyranny. 

The people who don't know economics believe that tyranny is unavoidable. They simply prefer the tyranny of the majority (the state, the democracy) to the (perceived) tyranny of the "propertied class" (the rich, the capitalists, the employers, the greedy, the exploiters, etc). Learning economics opens one up to the thought that society without tyranny is not only possible but preferable to any alternative.

For me, the economics path has been by far the most successful one for opening people up to libertarianism. 

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,687
Points 48,995

Just an idea: why not make a "book" based on Mises.org articles? In the end, it might be shorter than two books, but since you can include exactly what you think is most important and most persuasive it'll have a much greater impact.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 6:18 PM

What if the person just wants to be a slave?

This is not logically possible. An evolutionary argument easily shows why (people who wanted to be enslaved could not reproduce and, thus, could not pass on their servility). Granted, the welfare state is doing its level best to pervert the natural order in this regard. Anyone who thinks its a mistake or accident or oversight that modern welfare programs result in the dregs of society being propagated at the expense of the productive class is naive.

Clayton -

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 825
weedface replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 6:39 PM

America's great depression

anatomy of the state

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 5,000

I would not recommend Ethics of Liberty to start her down the libertarian path. There are great ideas in that book to be sure, but there are also ideas that are shocking (e.g., that a parent can not feed their kid until the child dies) which could scare her off.

Dr. Paul's The Revolution: A Manifesto, I think, might be able to spark her interest. If she's willing to read and learn more about the subject, there's no need to hit her with the full force of libertarianism right away.

Economics in One Lesson I'd suggest as the second book. This way, she's read one in political philosophy and another in economics. Seems like a balanced approach to me.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 5,000

@Clayton

This is not logically possible [for man to want to be a slave]. An evolutionary argument easily shows why (people who wanted to be enslaved could not reproduce and, thus, could not pass on their servility).

Gay people cannot reproduce with those of their same sex. Your premise would conclude that it is logically impossible for someone to only want to be with others of his or her own sex (to be homosexuals).

Is it common for threads to get off topic like this? I feel bad arguing something unrelated to the question (it must get frustrating for the questioner).

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 113
Points 1,685
RagnarD replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 10:35 PM

For an introduction to libertarianism I suggest David Boaz "Libertarianism-A Primer".  Fairly broad, not too radical and an enjoyable read.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 11:29 PM

For a New Liberty
No Treason - The Constitution of No Authority (preferably one of the many audio versions available everywhere on the internet)

This may blow her mind and convert her, but remind her to keep an open mind; the best advice anyone can take is never to become invested in a theory. Any theory a person accepts at any given time should be viewed as the best least-wrong theory they've encountered. Even Murray Rothbard, one of the indisputable giants of libertarian anarchism, acknowledged the fact/value dichotomy. And as a bonus, tell her to read up on evolutionary biology and history, and even psychology. Even if a person has respectable emotions about how things could be in a perfect world, it's important to come to terms with why they have those emotions, and the very real reasons—imposed by laws of chemistry and physics and fine tuned over billions of years—regarding why things are the way they are as opposed to every other possibility.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 132
Points 1,890
Wesker1982 replied on Sun, Nov 11 2012 12:41 AM

For a New Liberty

Power and Market 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

Chodorov, The Rise and Fall of Society

Sowell, Economic Facts and Fallacies

If you don't think they'd be up for something so focused on the economy as Sowell's book - even though it is aimed at a popular audience - put in Hayek, The Fatal Conceit instead.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, Nov 11 2012 2:41 AM

I second the Sowell recommend. Why do you recommend Chodorov? I know nothing about the book, just curious what you like about it.

Clayton -

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

The Chodorov work is relatively short (less than 200 pages), introductory, wide-ranging, and frames the issue very well: as the state preventing the full flourishing of society, that not only should the state be seen as something different from society, but that it actually works against it.  In doing this, he draws upon economics and proto-libertarian philosophy.  Chodorov is one of my favourite writers, actually.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 260
Points 4,015

My husband, since the last election, finally told me that he is formally giving up on voting republican and will be changing his voter registration to libertarian.  Hooray! 

He's not a great reader.  But he will need to read something, at least, on the overviewish side.  A lot of his opinions -like on the subject of national defense- are influenced by republican rhetoric. 

I don't think For A New Liberty would suit right off the bat-the language, in my opinion, is a little sales-pitchy in a way I find offputting and I think he would too.  No quarrels with the content, though.

Do you think the Chodorov would be a good choice for an indifferent reader?  If it was the only thing he ever read?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 12:54 PM

For a small-government conservative with hawkish foreign-policy tendencies (a lot of the small-gov't Repubs fall in this category), I would recommend Molinari's The Production of Security. It's more direct and less technically theoretical than Hoppe's stuff - which is the gold-standard for refuting the hardliner Pentagon-apologists, like neocons. If he's reaching a tipping point, this might just be the nudge that will push him over the edge. And it's brief.

Clayton -

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

For a New Liberty and Lessons For The Young Economist (about as much good economics you can possbily fit into a small book - I highly recommend it)

If she's willing to go farther after that, I say you give her something about methedology. Methedology is essential, and I see it as what really allowed me to reach such radical, anarchist conclusions so easily. Once you start realizing that progress is only meaningful when it's reached by the voluntary actions of individuals, the whole concept of a "useful" state withers away. 

Anybody agree with me on the second point?

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

Oh, and then have sex with her. Women love radicals.

Edit: 

The Chodorov work is relatively short (less than 200 pages), introductory, wide-ranging, and frames the issue very well: as the state preventing the full flourishing of society, that not only should the state be seen as something different from society, but that it actually works against it.  In doing this, he draws upon economics and proto-libertarian philosophy.  Chodorov is one of my favourite writers, actually.

Thanks for the rec. I need to check this out.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

Do you think the Chodorov would be a good choice for an indifferent reader?  If it was the only thing he ever read?

Yes, definitely.

Thanks for the rec. I need to check this out.

No problem.  It's freely available in the mises.org literature section.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 260
Points 4,015

Thanks!  I downloaded it on my phone and started reading it yesterday, and I think this might be the best-written introduction I've come across so far, at least the little bit I've finished.  Definitely, if the content is broad enough, this'll be my recommendation to my husband.

Page 1 of 2 (62 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS