Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Why did the U.S. Republic last so long?

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290
No2statism Posted: Mon, Nov 12 2012 10:09 AM

In France they've had several republics, while they've only had one in America and in Rome.

Why do you think U.S. Republic lasted longer than each French Republic?  What do you think the factors are?

In a way, the French Revolution kind of saved the French from having a single counter revolution, but that isn't necessarily a good thing.  It's kind of like they had several ups and downs, while America had one short and small up (most of the time before the 14th Amendment) and one big and long down (post-14th Amendment).

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

I think for all practicle purposes it may be best to think of us in our 3rd or 4th republic.  There was for whatever reason, no real need or thought to overurn the consitution - which has run it's course so very long ago.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 391
Points 6,975

@Vive

When would you personally split up the American republics? How I see it would go something along the lines of:

The First Republic

The Second Republic (Begins with the Civil War)

The Third Republic (WW2 & the New Deal) 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

When the First Republic started? Since Constitution?

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 452
Points 7,620

The Republic ended with the "civil war."

http://thephoenixsaga.com/
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I'm not sure why we're calling it a Republic after the Civil War. It started out as a Republic, but it went to Fascism pretty quick.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

How are Fascism and Republic incompatible?

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 11:55 AM

@Michelangelo

That's actually quite a good distinction, even though the transition to the third republic isn't nearly as dramatic as the first to the second.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 12:04 PM

Andris Birkmanis:

How are Fascism and Republic incompatible?

They're not innately incompatible. Republic means the rule of law. Fascism means shared state-private ownership of the means of production. You can easily institute fascism into law, so there's no conflict there.

But what I think he was getting at is that before the civil war there was no sense of federal ownership of the states. There was the belief at least that a state could walk away and secede. Afterwards that question has been answered in the negative. We are captives of our government. We may have laws but now we serve their master rather than being served by them.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 12:08 PM

No2statism:

In France they've had several republics, while they've only had one in America and in Rome.

Why do you think U.S. Republic lasted longer than each French Republic?  What do you think the factors are?

For one thing, we don't have any serious military competitors near our shores, and two great oceans to isolate us from everyone else. So we aren't threatened physically in any serious manner. Even 9-11 was a mere scar and could never be a mortal wound. Unlike other countries we and our capital city are not the sole locus of power and economics, unlike say Japan and Tokyo and the like. We've also been less focused on conquest, we never had a Napolean to get us into trouble.

Beyond that, the US started out far more libertarian than France, and has taken this long to wind down into tyranny as a result of the internal contradictions and deficiencies of the Constitution.

Thirdly, they made changing the constitution really hard :P

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

@ Mich

That's probably  right - unless you want to throw in articles of confederation as #1.  There may be a few more divisions (including perhaps even a more a more modern one) but my guess is those would be less "major" changes and disputible.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Yeah. Initially, the state was thought of as being a country on it's own, with the federal government existing purely to operate the agreement between the states.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

I think there have been at least four major shifts in American history:

1. Civil War

2. Wilson Administration (Federal Reserve, Income Tax, WWI etc,)

3. FDR Administrations (New Deal, WWII etc.)

4. Closing of the Gold Window (current period)

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

What do you think was the worst shift? They all seem equally bad to me.

Civil War - Numerous people dead, heavy censorship of free speech, tighter Federal Government

Wilson Administration (and really the whole Progressivist era) - Federal reserve created which began the destruction of sound money, theft on a grand scale from the Income Tax, and numerous soldiers from the U.S. dead (not even mentioning the mass deaths across Europe)

FDR Administrations - New Deal sealed the deal with the Fascist economy, World War II and it's numerous deaths, mass imprisonment of Japanese-Americans (the American Holocaust), extreme usage of the executive order, and...*sigh* Arthurdale...

And yeah, the present day that all of these led up to.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

The points of change were the worst: 1860's, 1910's, 1930's, 1970's.  All of those periods were, however, followed by relative prosperity, although much of the wealth of the 20's, 80's, 90's and 00's was of course illusory. 

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 5:02 PM

In my mind, I agree with the other resondents that there were several US Republics.  Only I would add the colonial times to the Constitution as one republic and remove post 1971.  So my list of USA Republics is:

1. 1607 to 1775-Start of the Revolution where what was the governing body created an army.

2. 1775 to Civil War.  The biggest event in the history of the USA where at least 600,000 people died needlessly.

3. Civil War to New Deal/WW2.

Clearly the biggest division was the un-Civil War that destroyed slavery and created central bureaucracy that was willing and able to use violent force to maintain the country but there was still a tradition of individual freedom that took 65 more years to destroy.

The only other event that could make this list would be the leaving of Brentton Woods but is minor compared to the policies enacted during the New Deal and the interventionist policies enacted as a result of the "victory" in WW2.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290

Something that got me thinking of a breaking point was Jim Traficant's 1993 presentation on the Federal Reserve.  It may just be a bunk theory but he did say something like "the 1933 Act was when the govt was handed over to the banksters".

The 14th Amendment was definitely a counter-revolution (kind of reminds me of how fascists love the number 14 with 14 words of truth an all), but I believe the "..No State shall deprive any person of life, liberty, or property without due process..." was what the Federalist Party originally wanted the Bill of Rights to be (if there was to be one at all, that is)... I'd guess that the Radical Republicans probably found some of the 14th Amendment's blueprint in the Library of Congress.  I'm sure Dr. DILorenzo has it all researched.

Finally, I agree with vive le insurrection and the poster who said the Constitution was made too contradictory/strong and too hard to change.  It really is impossible to truly change.  For example, depending on future Supreme Courts, the 16th Amendment may not have been the master key to taxing income.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS