Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Austrian Economics in college

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645
jmorris84 Posted: Tue, Nov 13 2012 4:38 PM

What colleges have economics courses that teach Austrian theory or at least discuss it? Why isn't this theory more prevalent in the classroom? I browsed through a co-workers text earlier and wasn't surprised to see a bunch of Keynsian hocus pocus but when we discussed it at work, I was being told that teachers pretty much have full reign on which texts they choose to use in their classroom. So where are all the Austrian theory texts at?

• | Post Points: 80
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 355

I know this one!

http://wiki.mises.org/wiki/Where_to_study_Austrian_Economics

(there's more in the links section)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645
jmorris84 replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 4:51 PM

Thank you!

I wonder, if a professor was teaching solely Austrian theory in a public school, would this be ok to do? This site shines a very bright light on how the state distorts markets and how it always negatively impacts, so what I'm imagining is a public college setting where this is being taught but honestly can't imagine it lasting very long, being that public schools obtain most of their funding from the state. Or am I wrong and that if a teacher really was 100% Austrian, provided textbooks that were only promoting Austrian theory, as long as the students were ok with that, he or she wouldn't be asked to leave or told to teach something else by a dean, board, or what have you?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Have actual Austrian Programs or Austrian professors:

New York University

George Mason University

Florida State University

University of Auburn

University of Nevada

Many schools will "discuss" it.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 2,945

Grove City  also teaches exclusively Austrian economics.  

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 5,000

Tom Woods's Liberty Classroom has Austiran Economics! I haven't used it, but I hear it's awesome. My friends seem to be learning a lot from it. And it's a lot cheaper than college. :)

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 478
Points 10,295
FlyingAxe replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 3:44 AM

Apparently, Loyola University in New Orleans, where Walter Block teaches.

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 475
tmeyer replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 10:56 AM

Hillsdale College has an Austrian class, as well as several Austrian professors on the faculty. Most of the econ classes at Hillsdale focus on the Austrian perspective. 

Whoever wants peace among nations must seek to limit the state and its influence most strictly. -Ludwig von Mises

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 32
Points 390

They also house Ludwig Von Mises's personal library.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 32
Points 390

GMU is home to Walter Williams, Peter Boettke, James Buchanan, Larry White....

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS