Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Ron Paul's Farewell Speech live. Watch now!

rated by 0 users
This post has 48 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 5,000

@Wheylous

Fair enough. Yeah, there's no doubt he sends people in that direction. And he has made it easier for a lot of people to be converted "all the way" later. It just pains me to see anarchists accusing him of not sharing his true beliefs. What an awful thing to say about one of the most honest congressmen in history.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,966
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 8:09 AM

Wheylous:

HE JUST USED THE SPOONER ARGUMENT!!!!!!!!!!

.....and contradicted Spooner (and himself) countlessly again and agian when advocating to follow the Consitution.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 151
Points 2,705

@DD5

In his defense, I believe he usually says that the Constitution would be a "good place to start."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 8:30 AM

^ Yeah, this

QC - some people are just like that :P

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,966
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 8:51 AM

fountainhead:

@DD5

In his defense, I believe he usually says that the Constitution would be a "good place to start."

Has he said that in his farewell speech?

If you've read Spooner, and I believe you have from your comment, then you should know that the argument is: The Constituion has no authority!  Not, the  Constition is a good place to start because it limits government.  It doesn't in fact and on the contrary, it gives government almost a free hand in tyranny. Spooner made it quite clear, which is why he's attacking its authority in the first place.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Points 4,055
excel replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 4:30 AM

Has he said that in his farewell speech?

He's said it in pretty much all his presidential debates and interviews when asked what the government should do.

If you've read Spooner, and I believe you have from your comment, then you should know that the argument is: The Constituion has no authority!  Not, the  Constition is a good place to start because it limits government.  It doesn't in fact and on the contrary, it gives government almost a free hand in tyranny. Spooner made it quite clear, which is why he's attacking its authority in the first place.

And Paul's farewell address seems to echo that line of reasoning. Ie, the govenment hasn't been held back by the constitution because the constitution is incapable of doing so, and the only way it COULD have been held back was by the people, and the people have been too complacent.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

Was an awesome speech and it is sad to see the end of his political career. :(

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,966
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 8:45 AM

excel:
And Paul's farewell address seems to echo that line of reasoning.

No it does not.  Ron Paul never ever claimed or even hinted that the Constitution has no authority.  I value Ron Paul's contribution to the liberty movement but if people will not critizise Ron Paul for his statist political positions, then this means that the liberty movement cannot evolve any further.  It revolves around one man and this is very troubling.

Page 2 of 2 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS