Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The Bit Heard Round the World? (LvMI Canada, Forbes)

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ Posted: Sun, Nov 18 2012 4:19 AM

Well, that escalated quickly.

WordPress, the modern equivalent of the Gutenberg press, has announced that it will accept Bitcoin for upgrades.  Now, without the use of PayPal or credit cards, users of WordPress, which has lit the philosophical and journalism movements on fire with its ease of use for website administration and blogging. Is, essentially, the dominant financial system at risk of losing the Internet? Now, the WordPress sphere denominates value in BTC, and not only fiat.

Also:

Jon Matonis, Forbes:

What's Your Bitcoin Strategy? WordPress Now Accepts Bitcoin Across The Planet

I awoke to incredible news this morning. Leading web publishing service WordPress.com announced that they will begin accepting the nonpolitical cryptographic money Bitcoin as a payment method for various upgrades.

Then I remembered that WordPress.org powers our online publishing platform. It also powers the blog platform for The New York Times, CNN, Reuters, Mashable, NBC Sports, GigaOm, TechCrunch, ELLE Girl, RealClearPolitics, TED, National Football League, General Motors, UPS, eBay, Sony, and Volkswagen...

WordPress.com is the #20 most-trafficked website in the world, according to Alexa

Now I know many on this forum are skeptical of Bitcoin, think it's a ponzi scheme, is a bubble, violates the regression theorem, etc. This development changes nothing in those debates, but it does suggest that perhaps a closer examination of such positions is warranted. Because if Bitcoin is legit, we're witnessing the opening volleys of a monetary and social revolution that could remove forever the power of any central authority to regulate the money supply or to control capital flows. I trust the myriad implications, if such a thing were to happen, are not lost on many here.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 10:51 AM

Wordpress knows that many users like the idea of Bitcoin. Accepting it as an experiment won't cost them much, and will please these users. It might also bring them some new users who want the perceived anonymity of Bitcoin over other payment methods.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Will follow this with considerable interest.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 2:49 AM

I still fear that Bitcoin proper is a trojan horse. Someone needs to release an alternative unbacked digital currency to hedge against this possibility.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

I still fear that Bitcoin proper is a trojan horse.

Not impossible.

Someone needs to release an alternative unbacked digital currency to hedge against this possibility.

Based on what algos? The whole idea of the cryptography based on huge prime numbers may be a trojan horse.

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 3:55 AM

Just fork bitcoin and do whateva you're gonna do, Clayton. Not like others haven't done it already.

I'd be more supportive of your fear if Bitcoin weren't open source and thereby easily inspected for back doors. Not that many have the expertise to do it, but still :P Word would get out.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 4:01 AM

Blargg:

Wordpress knows that many users like the idea of Bitcoin. Accepting it as an experiment won't cost them much, and will please these users. It might also bring them some new users who want the perceived anonymity of Bitcoin over other payment methods.

This is true, but I'd like to note that in their announcement they listed the number of countries and places that don't accept Paypal and other means of payment as one of the driving factors. Because Bitcoin is a self-contained system which is particularly difficult to create fake payments with or the like, and because it's not dependent on a central organization, Bitcoin becomes something like an elemental force of nature, a facet of reality one simply can conform themselves to and accept without anyone's by-your-leave.

Awesome.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Bitcoin becomes something like an elemental force of nature, a facet of reality one simply can conform themselves to and accept without anyone's by-your-leave.

Awesome.

Saved for mocking purposes when the collapse happens.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 6:43 AM

This is exciting. If liquid exchange venues exist for converting bitcoins to $ (or gold?) then both businesses and customers could use bitcoin as a mere payment/transaction method then exchange bitcoins for $ or gold. If this persists and the perception of bitcoin convertibility to $ or gold became established, then more people would feel comfortable holding bitcoin for longer (forgo converting them).

Could this be the regression link that establishes bitcoin as money?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 8:34 AM
Now a blogger in Senegal who can't get a creditcard or PayPal account can take micro-donations in bitcoins and turn around and use them to upgrade, without ever having to deal with conversion to cash.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS