Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Karen Decoster has something against the Wii?

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 370
Points 8,785
Telpeurion Posted: Sat, Aug 2 2008 5:48 PM

http://www.karendecoster.com/blog/archives/002982.html

Don't ever mention Wii and "workout" in the same sentence again.

I have discovered, via people I know, that they use the notion of Wii as a "workout" activity as an excuse to buy and play stupid video games. Play these idiot boxes all you want, but don't dare consider this a workout or a "fitness" routine. It makes you look like a marketing strategist's favorite idiot. Your butt ain't gonna be any less fat than if you don't engage this rip-off gimmick.

Another one of my favorite "workout" gimmicks is this thing called iGallop. You actually sit on this thing in front of the tv (which is how they market it), and it vibrates you as you "ride your way to fitness." If there is a single person out there who believes this nonsense, they deserve both Wii and iGallop.

Obviously, she has never actually attempted Wii Fit - Which DOES work.

I find myself disagreeing with her posts more than any other LRC blogger.

This is apparently a Man Talk Forum:  No Women Allowed!

Telpeurion's Disliked Person of the Week: David Kramer

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

She, like most people of her generation, is prejudiced against gaming, so I would not put too much stock into that.

-Jon

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I think Karen is great and I thought that post was good.  I know a lot of statist morons who bought Wii Fit to get into shape.  lol

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I'm into gaming, so those comments don't sit well with me. Maybe she's right on that, but I hate it when people look down on it as some kiddies' activity, when they themselves watch TV (for example), which is arguably a much more mentally passive experience.

-Jon

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

This post is almost as ignorant as the article I read about UseNet somehow being "dead" as of 2008. 

I'm sure this will just be a fad & forgotten in the future when more sophisticated technology is developed, &  will probably allow legitmate workouts via  the Nintendo console more of a reality than the current, "waving your arms around with a white controller pressing buttons", routine offerred by WiiFit.

WiiFit actually involves *some* physical activity (honestly, I only see this game being a physical workout for 7 years old and under);  iGallop seems to be the obvious culprit of stupidity here, rehashing a bygone invention that somehow didn't help slim down a single waist....

http://bp2.blogger.com/_IYWi0S9u_jU/R1RhJNXoCRI/AAAAAAAAABo/8fgvba-VHE0/s1600-R/vibrating+belt+machine.jpg

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

Jon Irenicus:

I'm into gaming, so those comments don't sit well with me. Maybe she's right on that, but I hate it when people look down on it as some kiddies' activity, when they themselves watch TV (for example), which is arguably a much more mentally passive experience.

-Jon

Whenever objections like that come up, I tend to remember: "Elitism: Because Life is one big Chat Room."

Studies have repeatedly showed there are actual benefits to playing videogames, such as improving hand eye cordination & motor skills, as well as eye sensory activity (or however the tehcnical phrase goes). 

TV thus far has been great for brainwa-

:droooooool:

Stupid Kids!  Get off my LAWN!  The Fugitive is on...again....

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 275

I own a Wii-Fit, and while it requires more physical activity than sitting on the couch mashing keys, that does *not* make it a workout activity. It is no more a workout activity than washing the dishes or gardening. Wii-Fit does not make me sweat. Wii-Fit does not make me gasp for air. Wii-Fit should only be considered a workout for the morbidly obese.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 370
Points 8,785

MatthewM:

I own a Wii-Fit, and while it requires more physical activity than sitting on the couch mashing keys, that does *not* make it a workout activity. It is no more a workout activity than washing the dishes or gardening. Wii-Fit does not make me sweat. Wii-Fit does not make me gasp for air. Wii-Fit should only be considered a workout for the morbidly obese.

I guess you've never done any of the strength excercises then. =p

This is apparently a Man Talk Forum:  No Women Allowed!

Telpeurion's Disliked Person of the Week: David Kramer

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 35
Points 650

I don't see the point in upgrading from my own professional quality workout.

Not only can you perform at the Olympic level, you can also attempt such physical feats as playing Super Mario Bros. 3.  Karen de Coster may find the Wii to be a market failure (in need of a show trial and federal "investigation"?), but I think it's because she just doesn't realize that Nintendo was going to invest in new tech sooner or later.  Freakin' NES Players Hotline got downsized by the recession, too.  Dang it!  Corporate-y corporatizers!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 108
Points 2,460
Harksaw replied on Sat, Aug 2 2008 9:41 PM

I have broken a serious sweat playing Wii Tennis.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Yeah, I guess I treat her like a blogger I enjoy reading, not some authoritative expert.  All in good humor.

You fellas make me feel like the old man of the bunch and I'm only in my early 30s.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

IRShenchmanJon:

Not only can you perform at the Olympic level, you can also attempt such physical feats as playing Super Mario Bros. 3.  Karen de Coster may find the Wii to be a market failure (in need of a show trial and federal "investigation"?), but I think it's because she just doesn't realize that Nintendo was going to invest in new tech sooner or later.  Freakin' NES Players Hotline got downsized by the recession, too.  Dang it!  Corporate-y corporatizers!

i lol'ed.  AVGN ftw.

Not Ranked
Posts 83
Points 1,565
solos replied on Sat, Aug 2 2008 10:16 PM

The Wii is not exercise. You know who uses the Wii? Old people and patients looking to rehabilitat themselves.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

solos:

The Wii is not exercise. You know who uses the Wii? Old people and patients looking to rehabilitat themselves.

Imo, the WiiFit, compared to say playing RPG's on a Playstation 2, or more sedentary games where standing & moving around do not add to possible "fun", is "exercise" in comparison, but obviously that is putting it loosley. 

AFAIK, the human body burns considerably more calories standing up, than sitting down, so while the WiiFit is only burning very small amounts of calories, one could say it might eventually add up when combined with actual excercise, versus "x" amount of hours sitting in front of a TV.      

The most it would be said is that it might motivate for additional low impact activity throughout one's day.  I think it would help people stretch more on average, maybe, but nothing beyond that. 

I see it more as an amusing stretching excerise before one were to get serious & go out for a 5 mile jog or hit the gym.  It would be amusing to use in the morning while having that cup of coffee :D.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

To be fair, I have heard that a problem with adulthood is that exercise stops being "play" and starts becoming "work".

But that machine you ride on, that's just ridiculous.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 35
Points 650

Nitroadict:

IRShenchmanJon:

i lol'ed.  AVGN ftw.

I actually had one.  In those days I felt pretty much how I (and pretty much most people) feel today about the Wii Fit.  It's not that impressive, but what the hell.  It was fun while it lasted.  And conveniently folded up to fit in the trash when you're done.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

IRShenchmanJon:

Nitroadict:

IRShenchmanJon:

i lol'ed.  AVGN ftw.

I actually had one.  In those days I felt pretty much how I (and pretty much most people) feel today about the Wii Fit.  It's not that impressive, but what the hell.  It was fun while it lasted.  And conveniently folded up to fit in the trash when you're done.

Exactly; the entire point of the Wii is for fun, not to be some replacement for exercising or a serious entry at hardcore gaming, etc.  Nintendo struck abolute gold with the concept of the Wii, though; I've read they're still not able to make enough to meet demand, even after a year or two after launch. 

As for when the Wii becomes obsolete, I intend on hacking it to my heart's content, as by then the homebrew scene should be thriving (the scene is just beginning to start exploits with the Wii; interestingly, more homebrew progress has been made with the DS), so my trash can will have to hold out for a while :D.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS